Choptana: a chop/ped fon/tana truck

Steroid

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Well, after all of this time I have a few updates on Choptana. First, and I want to thank David Murphy (who I bought the cab from) for sending Me these pics. This is the truck that the cab was origionally on and it's removal prior to My purchase:

IMG_2736.jpg

IMG_2737s.jpg

IMG_2751s-1.jpg

IMG_2750s.jpg

IMG_2752s.jpg

Recently Mark painted another front spoiler plain black. He also had supplied Me with what We assume are roadster seats, although We are not 100% sure because on the back in one corner is an area for an ashtray. Also, the nuts I bought to install them were SAE and not metric. The truck will begin a transformation into more of a 70s era vehicle like I had always wanted. Mark is finishing up a smoothed, letter free tailgate that will be added. The red and bamboo interior will be leaving and era correct black door panels will be put in place. This all is happening now. The Permacast rims I own will be cleaned, polished and placed on the truck with era correct BF Goodrich T/A Radial tires. More chrome will be added such as a cowl and rear moon cap on the rearend, replacing the swastica VW cap there now. Traction bars that are chromed might be added. Then, the final touch........... the truck will be flamed from white into yellow, orange and red over the hood and the full length of the sides. I am hoping that by summer this will all be done. As the license plate reads Ratsun, the name Choptana will more than likely fade and this will be the trucks new name. I drove it yesterday with no problems and it still hauls ass!!!! It had been about 3 years since I drove it due to clutch problems that are now resolved. Pics to follow shortly with the new look as soon as the tailgate is added.

NEW UPATE: I started the transformation with removal of the black swastika "moon" hubcap over the rearend. A chrome hubcap will now go in its place as well as chrome traction bars. Both of these items are on Funtana and are accurate period correct accessories We added in the 70s. Also, the black cowl has been swapped out for a chrome plated one. Next, all the bamboo interior will come out and factory black door panels, arm rests and kick panels will be installed. The BIGGIE: In the first photo posted (the black and white one from Truckin' magazine September 1975) You will see Permacast rims. I pulled the old tires yesterday from My set which has for 4 years now been on Wasserman's Wonder and started detailing and cleaning them. When finished, Choptana will look pretty close to that photo, the dream truck I had wanted ever since 1975!! Stay tuned!!

Mikes new smooth gate as of today is ready for color. Ill be shooting it Sunday if all goes well. Im guessing the old gate will be hung up in the barn / museum ? Im glad the seats fit as well. FYI they were installed in a 520 i bought using original seat bracket holes. Mike & i both think they are out of a 411.

• 1 month later...

I dropped off the smoothed tailgate at an airbrush artist named Spence yesterday. We discussed the mural to be painted and came to a final decision. It should be done on Saturday and then it goes back to Mark for final clearing!! The "bamboo" lettered tailgate that You all have seen will now decorate the barn and be retired. I'm coming along pretty slowly with the Permacast rims but after the bike run is over on Sunday, I will again focus on trying to finish them. Stay tuned!!

• 3 months later...

Well, I hope You all weren't too hooked on Choptanas above look. Because that is now in the past. Enter a "new look of oldness". The Permacast rims are now finished and mounted. All of the red and bamboo are now gone. For the time being stock black door panels have been installed and different black seats. I hope to take it to the park in the morning for new pics.............. but You won't see them just yet. TEASE ! ! ! No photos will surface until it's debut at the SWDP Bar-B-Que. So get ready......... I think You will like how it has "gone back in time".

• Like 2

A rebuild of ABACAB ? ? ? Buy it now and bring it to the Bar-B-Que ! ! ! ! When would have been the last time, if ever, that 3 chopped 620s were in one place at the same time ? ! ? ! ? ? ?

Today I took a BUNCH of photos of Choptana on the golf coarse............. but You don't get to see them ! ! ! You will either have to see Choptana at the SWDP Bar-B-Que or wait until Sunday for Me to post the photos. However, if You go on My Permacast thread:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/41695-steroids-6-lug-permacast-thread/

You can get an idea of how different it now looks with these rims instead of the red ones.

OK, I promised that after the Bar-B-Que I would post photos of Choptana. I am NOT happy with these though and plan to totally reshoot it on another day. There is some kind of "fuzzy" streaking on the front view. I have no idea what it was but I totally love the telephoto shot. Yes, the spoiler is touching the grass ! !

P1012926.jpg

The rear view also disturbs Me. The rearend is uneven and there is a large gap between the top of the tire and the fender flare. When the truck sets level, it is not like that.

P1012895.jpg

I did shoot some photos at the Wigwam that I really like as the truck is on blacktop. When I get home I will download them. The truck is as of this minute at a shop in Riverside being colorsanded and polished. Those of You that have seen the truck know the embarrassing way the paint job turned out. I have tried for a very long time to get anyone in Arizona to do this and My SWDP brother, Derek, put Me in touch with just the shop to get it done while I am in California ! ! I will discuss with Mike Schartel on Thursday (He is the same guy that pinstriped My flames on Funtana) doing flames in September when He comes over to the car show in Laughlin. Choptana is now a totally period correct 70s Fontana styled truck.

Thanks for the help ! That day the sun was popping in and out behind clouds. Perhaps that changed the image. Here are two views taken at the Wigwam Motel where We held the SWDP Bar-B-Que a week ago today:

P1012981.jpg

P1012966.jpg

Also, this truck looks much, much better now as it was color sanded and polished after all of these photos were taken. More pics to follow ! ! !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The above photos are of Choptana at the SWDP Bar-B-Que prior to having it wetsanded and polished. Here it is after polishing:

P1012939.jpg

P1012929.jpg

And now with what I had done to it on Saturday:

P1012999-1.jpg

P1013000.jpg

P1012997.jpg

P1013037.jpg

Welcome to Choptana's new look courtesy of pinstriping expert Mike Schartel ! ! Mike is the same guy that pinstriped Funtana and My Xterra daily driver. He is out of Hesperia, California if You want to look Him up.