Choptana: a chop/ped fon/tana truck

Steroid

OK, with seats not bolted in and a vicegrip for a steering wheel, I DROVE CHOPTANA!!!!! I went through all 5 gears and reverse. Also the brakes work!! So a historic day indeed!!! Finally!!

Question............ This is a 1979, the only manuel I have that high is a 1977. There are two lines on the passenger side of the frame. I have a clear fuel filter just before the fuelpump. I was not getting any fuel from the tank. I had hooked up all lines as they were when I got the truck. The liquid/vapor seperator is still on the truck. The fuel pump was not getting any draw. I removed the gas cap and blew in a quick burst down one line. Nothing. No air movement. That line looks to be going to the top of the fuel tank. Then I removed the hose going from the SIDE of the fuel tank about level and right next to the 2 1/2 inch fuel filler hose. I blew thru that line and heard "girgling" in the tank. I hooked the fuel filter back up and started the truck. Constant fuel is now to the filter and I drove the truck down the street twice this way. My question: Is the correct fuel source outlet on the SIDE of the tank on a 1979 or from the top? If it is the top, I have some sort of blockage. The 1977 manuel appears that the "fumes or vapors" come from that line on the top. That would mean the the fuel source is on the side next to the filler hose. If that is wrong and My fuel level drops BELOW that line on the side (I put 9 gallons in) then I will run out of gas to the engine somewhere. HELP! Which is the correct gas source line? Thanks.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is what Choptana looked like last evening. First the exhaust system. This is a "copy" of what a truck in the 70s, Ziggy's Stardust, ran. His pipes, however, were VW megaphones. Later Dave Bednarczyk bought them and placed them on His Green Hornet. They are now black. Kinda' "ratrodish" looking.

Choptanapipes.jpg

Next is how the headliner and sunroof turned out.......

Choptanaheadliner.jpg

Front detail.........

Choptananose.jpg

And side shots.........

Choptanadrivers.jpg

Choptanaandfuntana.jpg

I guess I'd better detail the tires!!! They look like they are made of wood! Anyway, that's how she is coming.

my dads friend owned ziggy stardust he rolled with him my dad had a curior brown sugar down in cali he always talked about that truck

Dwaynne Clements!!!! My buddy, Dave, bought His pipes!! That was what inspired Me. I also remember Brown Sugar. Please, oh please, tell Me You Dad took pictures and You still have them!! Also are You in any way still in touch with Dwaynne? Thanks!! Mike

Hi Duece. It's Mike Lepker.

Well, You guys haven't heard much from Me as I have been busting My butt trying to get Choptana ready, or at least presentable, for the Bar-B-Que, Yes it will be coming. I've still got a full day tomorrow and should get the 8 or 10 remaining things done. It is exhausting, but refreshing at the end of each day to see the progress. I did 9 things today starting out with sandblasting 24 lugnuts, spinner knockoffs and their towers. Paint after that. While they were drying I totally took apart a heater, cleaned everything and traded out the one in the cab. I will at least now have the blower to get air moving while driving. What else???? Oh yeah, new led taillights on the trailer. New choke cable. Installed 620 tach. Interior mod (secret for now). Installed lugnuts, towers and spinners. Yesterday it was go to DMV get new plates, install, after lowering license plate mount to show below louvered panel, Install panel and taillight housings. Drill out 5 ball, install. Add 90 wt to transmission (by the way.... how much should a 5 speed hold?), painted header pipe, the rest is a blur. I'm keeping the list to someday remember all that I did in 3 weeks. After the Bar-B-Que THEN I'm going to take a vacation from My vacation!!!

Today so far. Installed taillights, side running lights and front turnsignals after completely cleaning and checking each bulb. Installed passenger's side "windwing". About 4 more minor projects. Should be ready to load up in the morning. Saturday is photo day............. You'll see the progress. Man I'm burned out. No more truck projects for at least a month after this!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a couple more views. The interior shots are still in the camera (Yeah, I still shoot negatives!) but I'll post them soon. I'm at a loss at what to do outside now. I was going to have red pinstriped flames (LOTS!!!) done from the hood all down the side. Most people are telling Me that flames won't match the bamboo interior, lettering and "far east" ideas on Choptana now. I'll just show it like this for a while. Also, later (to answer Your question earlier) I do plan to show it a few times with the Permacasts instead of the red rims.

choptanadebutpass.jpg

choptanadebutpipes.jpg

Thank You!! The exhaust looks lower on grass than it really is. When that photo was taken, the muffler was touching but I can clear speedbumps even though it doesn't look like it will. I don't take credit for the idea. Dwaynne Clemments had it first 33 years ago except with VW megaphones. The hubcap is always on My trucks, except chrome. Naturally I wanted black and was going to paint a basic moon black until I spotted the KDF hubcap. I never even knew that VW had those. That is a $70.00 hubcap setting there!! The cheapest price I found. Naturally, the guy charged Me $19.95 to ship it!!! The red center is a 320 hood emblem that I painted red. It kinda' looks like a black widow from the rear!! Those two tricks really balance out the mega-high rearend view. If I hadn't done either, it wouldn't be left up that high. That's how We did it in the 70s though!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Steroid, this is simple one of the baddest ass trucks to ever sport the datsun name. I hope minitruckin does a feature on it!

As to more art on the truck. Do some google searching on japanese brush pen art. Called Sumi. Look up samurai stuff! Also katana sword hand guards. You might find some inspiration there!

As Elvis said "Thannn, Yooooo, Thannnn Yooo veri much!!"

It is getting there. I'm going to photograph it one day with Funtana's mags to see more of the 70s look that The black and white Truckin' photo (that inspired Me) would look like. But I'm going to wait until it gets under 100 here first!! Also, When I put the Permascasts on WW, I will try them on Choptana for a few photos. I'd like to see it as close to the black and white photo 34 years later!!! I just noticed that I haven't posted any interior shots. I'll be back in a few with those. Once again, thanks!!!

OK, here are the interior photos. Now I've noticed that I haven't yet photographed the engine!!! Guess tomorrow I'll have to go back to the park to get those photos. Well, anyway, enjoy!!

Choptanainteriorthree.jpg

Choptanainteriortwo.jpg

Choptanainteriorone.jpg

I'll take a minute to explain the interior. I have placed a piece of bamboo on the steering column and also used pieces for the "armrests/door closers". Bamboo floor mats, tiki door locks from Mooneyes as well as keychain. Woven reed panels made from a rug bought at a tiki store. The seats I've already described. I've still got to dye the dash and a few other things. I was going to build a center console that would be matching red but I now think that I would be too much so that idea is on hold. Notice the "5 ball" shifter knob. Just a visual to remind Me I'm in a 5 speed truck! Hey, I'm old.... I forget things!!!

Very kool interior for sure. Whats that noise???????????? :lol: [inside joke] Anyways Mike let me drive "choptana" up & down Guys street last month & lemme say this....it hauls ass & sounds even meaner!! Mike, i know you werent sure about the steering wheel but i think a wooden wheel will top it off nicely.