1200 autocross project Texas

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent quite a while trying to get both of these out of my wagon.  I drilled straight through the center of the broken bolts, then threaded them with a M6 tap.  I don't anticipate them ever coming loose..

The rear lower bolt holding the bottom of the front fender to the rocker panel broke off. This one will take some work.

• Like 1

That T/C rod seems a little bent? Or is that the camera?

Good eye. I didn't notice till your post. That was the side that was hit. I'll put a straight edge to it tomorrow. It had 3 shims on it.

The hardware that came off the left tension rod.

20150722_182306_zpswg5fpamc.jpg

Are you putting 210 stuff in that car? If so, you can just use 210 T/C rods.

Right now I am ripping the front end apart to find any rust or shoddy damage repair. So far, so good, only minor stuff. I am going to see if the 1200 struts that I got 10 years ago can be repaired. Hopefully I will find out this weekend.

New bushing top, old bushing bottom. The new bushing is 0.007 inches longer than the old bushing. A preliminary fitting caused some trouble. You wouldn't think that small an difference would be a problem, but it will have to be forced in. The bushing needs to be pressed into the LCA another 0.003 inches to be exactly centered. Will try that sometime this week.

20150726_155254_zpsxrit2b1n.jpg

Love this thread. I am about half way through. Great backstory to the car. Keep up the good work

Welcome to the party! Datsunfreak and Dimlight65 also have 1200s in the metroplex. There is also a 1200 UTE with a SR20DET that puts out 400+ HP here.

Do you have any photos of this Ute? Out of the 2 I brought to the USA, one is mine and the other was going to be rebuilt by someone in Texas.

Could be the same ute? But may not. Just wondering what ever happened to the General.

• Like 1

Love this thread. I am about half way through. Great backstory to the car. Keep up the good work

Do you have any photos of this Ute? Out of the 2 I brought to the USA, one is mine and the other was going to be rebuilt by someone in Texas.

Could be the same ute? But may not. Just wondering what ever happened to the General.

Its a South African Datsun Bakkie that the owner brought over from home. He also has a really nice Silvia that also puts out a ridiculous amount of power. He describes the Silvia as really fast and the Bakkie as scary and brutal.

IMAG0668_zpsaaf97cdc.jpg

IMAG0661_zps12736f65.jpg

20150516_125016_zpsj43jn94p.jpg

• Like 1

Yours is in North Dallas. He's put it on craigslist a few times, but no one has bought it yet. I don't think he actually wants to fix it. 

Steve has owned his since around 2005. Lots of build pics here:

http://www.510garage.com/photos/thumbnails.php?album=223

• Like 1

Yours is in North Dallas. He's put it on craigslist a few times, but no one has bought it yet. I don't think he actually wants to fix it.

Dammit, You had to go there. I have needed a truck for the past 7 years. It just needs to haul parts and launch a John Boat at Lake Ray Roberts

Steve has owned his since around 2005. Lots of build pics here:

http://www.510garage.com/photos/thumbnails.php?album=223

There was a small dent in the driver's (right side) door and a rusted section at the bottom of the same door that needs addressing.   Besides a few small holes in the floor pans it really wasn't in all that bad of shape compared to most Datsun 1200s.    It does need new steering components like tie rods, ball joints, etc... and bushings.

Mechanically the A12 ran awesome.  I also put headers on it and the tune out of the exhaust was perfect.   Besides all the other list of huge modifications I made when I owned it in Australia for 4 years including a full respray, I think the guy got a great deal.    It's a shame he is just trying to flip it.

Hopefully one if you guys down there in TX can own it again and give it the love that I gave it.     And if so, I want to see you guys weld the doors shut and climb in through the windows.  I attempted to do it once and bruised the shit out of my knee.  (thats not how the dent got there)

Dammit, You had to go there. I have needed a truck for the past 7 years. It just needs to haul parts and launch a John Boat at Lake Ray Roberts

Heck you could even jump the damn lake too.....yeehaw.   [musical air horn sounds]  :w00t:

• Like 1

There was a small dent in the driver's (right side) door and a rusted section at the bottom of the same door that needs addressing.   Besides a few small holes in the floor pans it really wasn't in all that bad of shape compared to most Datsun 1200s. 

I can't speak to condition as I never saw it myself, but the aforementioned Steve said he thought it was really rusty. 

But I know one man's "super rusty" is another man's "Eh, it's not that bad".  ^_^

He did say however that most of the rust was very well hidden. Some in the A-pillars between the door and fender, etc. 

I can't speak to condition as I never saw it myself, but the aforementioned Steve said he thought it was really rusty. 

But I know one man's "super rusty" is another man's "Eh, it's not that bad".  ^_^

He did say however that most of the rust was very well hidden. Some in the A-pillars between the door and fender, etc. 

Really rusty is this:

P1010001-1.jpg

The General Ree looked like this:

13419_5121e0a249e4d.jpg

Like I said, for the amount of money the ute sold for (basically even with the cost of shipping)  the guy got a bargain.    Especially compared to the prices of other 1200 imports lately.

But I don't want to jack up this thread.  Enough talk about my previous 1200.   I was just curious where it was.  Hell, I might even try and buy it back one day.

Lets get back to talking about KT's awesome Sedan.

• Like 2

That is a butt ton of hard work to get 40+ years of "stuff" off your car. Looking great.

POR-15, watch the warnings on temperatures, and avoid sweating in/or on to the POR-15, which is one of the reasons for pouring it in to another container and only using small amount at a time until you figure out how much you can do before it starts to set-up. Wear gloves, wear gloves, dish washing gloves would be good for you! And it something to take your time doing.

• Like 2