1200 autocross project Texas

You could make a slide hammer easily with some allthread, nuts/washers, maybe some pipe.  Just need something with weight to it to slide along it...maybe the head of a 5lb sledge

1200.com says if nothing else works, turn the drum upside down, thread it loosely and use it as a slide hammer. Will try that tomorrow.

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't want to come get it, this is what Tim did...

He got the cheapo slide hammer from Harbor Freight, bolted a piece of 6" long angle iron to it, drilled two holes in the iron that will slide over the studs, then spin on two lug nuts.  :thumbup:

That's plan C.

Strapped down the differential. All the information on axle removal I found was with the differential still on the car. My first attempt with the pry bar and hammer moved the differential a lot. The kinetic energy was going to waste.

20150604_164124_zps5xvf17tc.jpg

Flipped the drum backwards and had about 2" of travel for the "slide hammer", but had plenty of weight.

20150604_164209_zpszermym5r.jpg

Damn if it didn't work. After a wimpy first test hit, I really whacked it the 2nd time and it popped right out.

20150604_164330_zpsaucalo1s.jpg

Both of the axles are out. They are pretty ugly and the differential spit out quite a bit of water during the process. It had about 5" of rain fall on it in the weeks before I got it to my shop. The water was very clear with no traces of rust. Hopefully the LSD

pumpkin is still OK. The yoke bolt is pointed at the ceiling and soaking in penetrating oil.

20150604_172243_zpsesnufduy.jpg

I let the yoke nut soak in penetrating oil for a day during my bi-weekly trip to Childress.

20150606_185836%203_zps3nywstbu.jpg

Never taken a differential apart and not really getting good instructions on the internet. Sometimes you just gotta wing it and take pictures to know how it goes back together. The yoke nut seems like the next logical thing to come off. Now how do I remove it. So far the tie down strap has worked well.

20150606_185135_zpsjil8loaq.jpg

20150606_185109%202_zpsfxeivcqe.jpg

20150606_185033%203_zpsh0amik8t.jpg

The nut came loose easily.

20150607_152658_zpsmpshbfxa.jpg

Noticed I could enlarge your pics.  Definitely looks like the pinion has been hitting it.  What's the cracked looking part in this pic (bottom left corner)?

20150607_163436_zpszniveew1.jpg

I took it all apart and didn't find any damage, but I need to find out what that is.