1200 autocross project Texas

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just drop off the car here, I'll put a 510 IRS in it, problem solved.  

:rofl:

That is a tempting offer. But Mat said if I started hacking such a rare original car, he would punch me in my face. That includes wheel flares. And he is not even a member of Ratsun. But I do have a Coupe race car!

• Like 1

Starting to wonder if the factory did that for clearance...

Kilo's looks like the pinion was hitting since the corners of the teeth are rounded over.  Plus, wouldn't they have to cut it differently for each pinion/crown ratio combination?  Seems like if it were factory it would be a continuous relief all the way around...

• Like 2

Hey Kilo, (not that I would know from experience or anything) but when you put the diff back together, be sure to pack the axle bearings with grease before they are pressed on.  They tell me they don't last too many miles and start making noises pretty quickly.

A friend of mine rebuilt his entire 1200 rear axle not too many miles ago, and now he has to replace the rear axle bearings because he didn't RTFM.  Don't be a dumb ass and do what he did :)

• Like 1

The axle baffles are out! I observed and prodded the baffles, and decided that they were not frozen in the differential housing. I used my long pry bar and hammer to gently tap out the baffles through the axle shaft housing.

20150623_182637_zps10uucvam.jpg

20150623_182710_zpsqslse2dc.jpg

20150623_182749_zpsfsbymx9h.jpg

The baffles are kinda tweaked and rusty but they are original NISMO NLA parts.

20150623_182837_zps2lr5xifg.jpg

The baffle seated on this support bracket in the differential.

20150623_183137_zpsqsewynmi.jpg

Nismo catalog listed them too...    ^_^

maybe but

Then these would be Datsun Competition parts because it came out of a race car built before the late 80's.

fwiw, i came across a datsun comp h145lsd and having no use for it sold it to a scca racer

this was in the 90's and most of the 1200 specialty parts were long since nla even though listed in the nismo catalog

having said that i was able to order one of the last set of quickor sb's and a comp header that wouldn't fit with su's

• Like 1

The brakes and strut are off the Left side. All the suspension parts are toast. I have a lot of front end parts I acquired years ago, so if the 1200 struts can be rejuvenated, I can get the car back on the road for a lot less cash spent. At this point I just want it drive-able.

20150627_175345_zpsbw7maadv.jpg

Finally got the steering knuckle off. Thought I was going to have to use a cutting torch for a while. But it only took penetrating oil, a MAP GAS torch, and a big ass hammer.

20150627_185001_zpsqgadtsve.jpg

• Like 1