1200 autocross project Texas

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Make sure you grease those ball joints soonish. If you don't, the rubber tends to rot somewhat quickly. Ask me how I know.   ^_^

Or better yet, replace that rubber with urethane boots.   B)

Got it full of grease before I attached it. But would be interested in urethane boots also. If you have a link, send it to me.  :geek:

Make sure you grease those ball joints soonish. If you don't, the rubber tends to rot somewhat quickly. Ask me how I know.   ^_^

Or better yet, replace that rubber with urethane boots.   B)

All purpose grease?

I haven't done mine, been sitting undriven for almost 2 years

• Like 1

I got mine from this guy...

They come in red (for more racecar) or black (for more stealth)...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DATSUN-510-Urethane-Ball-Joint-Tie-Rod-Boot-Set-RED-/360030291889?vxp=mtr&hash=item53d37a47b1

So, 510 and 1200 ball joint boots are interchangeable? 

• 2 weeks later...

During this project I learned that "NLA" means "You will eventually find one, but it will take more money and a lot more time and effort on the internet." The NLA steering column bushing in Nissan packaging. In some sick, twisted way the detective work makes the project even more enjoyable.

20151206_185811_zps9hrroths.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Japanese Flag from WWII. My Dad was in the 1st Calvary Division during WWII. He was Command Sargent Major, Communication Chief for Headquarters Troop and had a half track command car full of communications equipment. When they weren't in battle against the Japanese, my Dad's unit would have fun by drag racing their half tracks against Jeeps and Sherman Tanks. " I am my father's son, race what you got."  Which type of vehicle won depended on how rough or muddy the drag strip was. My Dad was involved in the South Pacific island hopping, starting in Strathpine, Queensland Australia. He loved Australia, and being a Texan, the Australians loved him. The Australians thought everyone in Texas had an oil well, rode a horse and carried a gun. OK, not every Texan has an oil well and a horse. Dad only lacked the oil well. He went through New Guinea, to the Admiralty Islands Campaign, and the invasion of Leyte. Then they moved on to Luzon to launch the flying column assault on Manilla, Philippines. They were ordered to liberate the U.S. prisoners at Santa Tomas University in Manilla at the utmost speed. The entire 1st Calvary Division was barreling down the the highway to Manilla at full speed and would overtake Japanese Army trucks and personnel. The Japanese troops would pull over to the side of the road, watch the entire 1st Calvary Division go blowing past them at full speed, turn around and haul ass in the opposite direction when the 1st Team had disappeared down the highway. They assaulted the Santa Tomas interment camp liberating some 3,700 internees. This flag was taken from the Santa Tomas prison camp. My Dad was in the first wave of the occupation of Tokyo. He came back to the U S to raise his family and bought my 1972 Datsun 1200 brand new for $1971.00. My Dad took a lot of crap from his peers for buying a Japanese car in 1972. Less than 30 years after the war, a lot of people had a big problem with buying Japanese. I was 11 years old and remember this confrontation like it was yesterday. Dad bought the Datsun and his friend, also a WWII vet, was furious. My Dad's friend said, "HOW COULD YOU BUY THIS CAR???!! YOU SPENT THE ENTIRE WAR TRYING TO KILL THESE PEOPLE WHILE THEY WERE TRYING TO KILL YOU!!!!!"  My Dad's reply was,"You've got to stop living in the past. This car is the future. Get used to it." My Dad was a very wise man. So you now know how much this little car means to me, This flag will accompany me on every race in some way. I might even wrap it around my head!

DSCN1333_zps482d83e6.jpg

A good ways back I took an old friend to the D Day museum who had a flag just like this one. The man at the museum said the person town or village would all sign it for good luck. Good luck with your build.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I finally had to put my Mother in the Nursing Home a couple of days after Christmas. I knew it was coming and thought I had prepared for everything that was going to be involved in this event. I wasn't prepared for the work involved in moving all Mom's stuff out of her apartment and into storage. I rented her apartment for an extra Month so I could go through all her belongings and sort them during all the weekends in January. A lot of clothes and other stuff went to Goodwill. I found many pictures of not only my childhood, but my Mom's and Dad's childhoods. Unfortunately, due to Mom's dementia, some of these thing are not able to be identified. Then I found this.

20151231_004417_zpsypfcwbti.jpg

An about a 3" x 5" very old Japanese Rising Sun Flag. I can only guess as to the origin, but I think that Dad brought it back from Japan along with the large one pictured above, when WWII was over. Right now, I don't know where or how, but I guarantee that this little flag will have a prominent place in the build. If anyone has any suggestions, please post them.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got some free time and warm temperatures to work on the Sedan again. I am concerned about the driver's side frame rail damage. The damage is considerably worse than the picture shows. A big dent at the frame rail at the floor pan to fire wall transition. Somebody went off roading and I didn't know about it. I don't want to do any more rust treatment that will have to be redone if the frame rails need reinforcement. Any feedback is appreciated. 

20160215_164321_zpsfd51lq9b.jpg

The glove box door s really scratched up and needs to be redone.

20160216_210720_zpszbapiwoi.jpg

I found a 2nd flag. A Japanese naval insignia, and a Japanese national flag. I think restoring the glove box door and clear coating the flags on it is the way to go. What do you think?

20160216_204024_zpsqihpj2ol.jpg

• Like 1