Fix them or trash them?

These rims came on the car when I bought it. I liked them since they are similar to Libres' and I have not seen them on many other cars (mostly 240Zs'). They are American Racing "Le Mans" so there is a connection to the classic wheel. They are 15" x 6" (with a 4" backspace) so lots of options when it comes to tires and they fit the car nicely. So I order some tires and go to get them mounted and find that 3 of the rime have cracks and flat spots in the inside lip with the fourth having a flat spot on the outside lip. Crap. Long story short I got some Rota RBs' (15" x 7") and moved on.

Pro: I like the way they look, not a common rim, an old school look, not very heavy.

Con: They do use the shanked lug nuts with washers which is kinda' funky and my research shows repairs are going to run at least $125 each for the cracked ones and most likely more when all is said and done. They are old.

So my question is: are these worth saving or do they get melted down for beer cans?

Oh yea, someone wrote TR-6 with one of those paint pens on the inside of a couple of the rims so I am guessing they might fit those as well.

white510.jpg

crack1.jpg

crack2.jpg

crack3.jpg

compare.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While its theoretically possible to fix those cracks, I'd suspect that the metal is fatigued beyond recovery and will just crack again, in different places.   Not safe.  Those are time bombs waiting to go off.

While I;m sure someone would be willing to take/buy them knowing the issues they have, there's a high likelyhood THEY won't tell the person they sell them to about the cracks (fixed or not). 

send them to me ...... i can do wonders with it .....i will pay u scrap .... bring them to blue lake....got a few sets out there surgically repaired....then i will funk them up for some winters ...after all my avatar is a unicorn ...fwiw...srsly send them ....... i know people have apprehension about repaired wheels ..... i do too at times ..... but those are to funky not to try and save...14's?

near a les schwab at all ...?????

Well I have decided that beer cans it is. I don't want to have to worry anyone being hurt because I couldn't make the right choice. Thank you everyone for chiming in. 

I prefer folks holding beer made from these (or sodas) since they are less likely to be fatal.

• Like 1

I'd personally fix them, I've repaired plenty of wheels worse than this, with chunks missing and they've still held up fine even at track events, expensive but if you REALLY want to keep them I'd fix them.

If you do end up deciding to scrap them I will take them for above scrap value.

dont listen to anything Radim says, ever!

jk.

i mean a crack here or there is aight and weldable, but that many cracks is ridiculous.

sell them to ^

Old aluminum wheels can be death traps. I had a friend break the center out of a Minilight on his 710 racecar and ended up hitting the wall.

Old wheels may look cool but ones with obvious problems like these should be scrapped.

Like Bababoey says VTO makes a Lemans that is very similar to the original American Racing. 15x7 +18 fits well on a 510, depending on the tire size & ride height you might need to rool the fender, but they fit quite well.