• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, six2ohyea said:

14 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

I believe the It should fit any L series motor, 6 or 4 cylinder.... then mention the z car so I'd assume yes..

It won't fit the L16 and most L18s and L20Bs before '76. Those were push on and half twist. My '76 710 came with the elephant oil cap. It should fit your '78 valve cover.

3 hours ago, six2ohyea said:

$130 for headers a good deal? 
70223838767__E42A31E0-4524-479D-A9DA-782

If they pay YOU the $130. Only a masochist would try to put a header on their L series and try to live with it. Even worse on a truck. First before my rant, make sure this is for a 620 truck, as a car header won't clear the torsion bars.

They never fit perfectly, often close, but have a hammer handy for a strategic dent for clearance.

Expect to remove an engine mount and jack the engine up and over slightly to get it in. On my 521 I seem to remember taking the torsion bar out also. What looked like a few hours took all weekend.

They have at least 5 Xs the surface area and radiate a lot of heat into the engine compartment and floor.

They are noisy.

My collector bolts came loose every 3 months like clockwork. Maybe you'll have better luck. Use stainless fasteners so at least they won't rust from the heat and exposure.

They look like ceramic coated so may last longer but they won't last forever like the stock manifold. If that's silver paint it will look like hammered shit in 6 months

They will eventually need maintenance such as welding up cracks and perforations.

Worst of all, unless your L20B is modified with a cam and larger carburetor the stock manifold is not holding it back and you are never going to feel any gains. It may sound more powerful.

Best advice is don't throw the original manifold and down pipe away, at least you have the option of putting it back on.

6 hours ago, datzenmike said:

It won't fit the L16 and most L18s and L20Bs before '76. Those were push on and half twist. My '76 710 came with the elephant oil cap. It should fit your '78 valve cover.

I thought the j motors had that push on style not the L... but I am often wrong...

I must have a different valve cover then.... I have a 72 521 with the L16, says datsun not nissan on it and it fits.... even the L16 engine I got from mainer311 had the same type of twist on cap....

8 hours ago, datzenmike said:

If they pay YOU the $130. Only a masochist would try to put a header on their L series and try to live with it. Even worse on a truck. First before my rant, make sure this is for a 620 truck, as a car header won't clear the torsion bars.

They never fit perfectly, often close, but have a hammer handy for a strategic dent for clearance.

Expect to remove an engine mount and jack the engine up and over slightly to get it in. On my 521 I seem to remember taking the torsion bar out also. What looked like a few hours took all weekend.

They have at least 5 Xs the surface area and radiate a lot of heat into the engine compartment and floor.

They are noisy.

My collector bolts came loose every 3 months like clockwork. Maybe you'll have better luck. Use stainless fasteners so at least they won't rust from the heat and exposure.

They look like ceramic coated so may last longer but they won't last forever like the stock manifold. If that's silver paint it will look like hammered shit in 6 months

They will eventually need maintenance such as welding up cracks and perforations.

Worst of all, unless your L20B is modified with a cam and larger carburetor the stock manifold is not holding it back and you are never going to feel any gains. It may sound more powerful.

Best advice is don't throw the original manifold and down pipe away, at least you have the option of putting it back on.

welp, thanks for the info. Probably why he’s had it for 20+ years. He’s also selling an earlier valve cover. Will it fit my L20? IMG_2712.jpg

12 minutes ago, six2ohyea said:

welp, thanks for the info. Probably why he’s had it for 20+ years. He’s also selling an earlier valve cover. Will it fit my L20? IMG_2712.jpg

I was a little wrong before on the oil cap but I'd say yes it will fit .. should fit any L series 4 cylinder....

There were DATSUN 1600*, (510 and 521) some had fins that came over the hump for the cam sprocket and are somewhat collectible for a 'stealth L20B' After that the fins stop at the hump. Then DATSUN OHC. All L18 some early L20Bs? May have had twist off and screw off caps? NISSAN OHC. These were the latest cover, changed to NISSAN for '76? and had the screw off caps. The above is very tentative.

*Had a '71 521 and a '68 510 back in the day. One had the fins over the valve cover but both said DATSUN 1600. Transplanted a '75-'77 L20B into the 521 think it had NISSAN OHC so I swapped them. After 40-50 years they are all over the place.

• Like 1