POST Craigslist eBay ads here...

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, Sapoo said:

How can you tell? I don’t have enough experience to know the difference. For my future reference, How can one identify a 5 speed that is compatible with an l16? 

Years of doing this.

This is an FS5W71B 5 speed that will fit the L series 4 or 6 cylinder engines.

oEyImGv.jpg

This is the F4W71B 4 speed. Note the 6 bolt cover plate with the round breather cap? The five speeds do not have this.

IWxoRPm.jpg

There are at least 4 production 5 speeds that will fit any L series engine, but for now lets stick to the 71B.

The 71B was used on 4 different series of Nissan engines CA, SD, Z and L series. The front case is different on all four so they will bolt up to the different engines and you can swap cases to make any one of these fit another series. You might find a very good deal on a CA series 71B 5 speed and buy it and later swap on an L series front case to make it fit your L16. So how to tell??? All 71Bs are 31.5" long except the 720 truck that used this and a 26" 'shorty'.

CA 5 speeds have a smooth front case without ribs...

sMGS9ZJ.jpg

The SD (diesel) Note ribs and waffling on front case, unlike the CA above it. Has the starter on the driver's side. Easy to pick out. Not so easy on this picture, you can just barely see the starter bulge on the lower left. ALL other 71B transmissions have the starter on the right or passenger side.

25157280-1982-datsun-720-std.jpg

Z series... Note the ribs and waffling and the center line rib runs up beside the right hand side bolt hole into the block.

FkMQpJs.jpg

L series. Center rib goes up beside the left hand bolt into block. Just remember left hand bolt hole is L series. This is the one you want for an L16, though you can swap cases and make any of the above work also. If you have an L series front case.

AaDPhXR.jpg

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Sapoo said:

🙌 Thank you so much for all that info!!! It is soooooo helpful!!! Here’s another question. Could I use a front case from an L Series 4 speed on any 5 speed 71b? 

Generally speaking yes, the only possible issue is the counter shaft bearing.... I believe the are 56 and 62mm or something close to that... 

When I swapped front cases I had to go with the smaller diameter bearing that fits the front case....

Also be aware there is a cover inside the bellhousing and a shim under it... you want all 3 to stay together dont mix and match....

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Sapoo said:

🙌 Thank you so much for all that info!!! It is soooooo helpful!!! Here’s another question. Could I use a front case from an L Series 4 speed on any 5 speed 71b? 

There are some F4W71B 4 speeds that have the reverse lamp switch in the wrong location. I've never seen one but they are out there. All five speeds are like the picture below but some 4 speeds are just to the left on that present but unused boss. As long as the 4 speed reverse switch is on the right you're good.

mEl2kJJ.jpg

The improved 62mm counter gear bearing was new for '85 and continues on into the later 71C model. You can have the case milled out or like mentioned remove and replace with the earlier 56mm bearing.

AoHwvUO.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, six2ohyea said:

Worth $250? Thoughts? CD08C508-2D37-482A-81B1-6BA73C641299.jpg

6 hours ago, datzenmike said:

While the '72-'77 620 grill is by far the best looking, it ain't worth $250. Offer $75 to $100 and get his number. Call him in 3 weeks say the offer is still good leave your number.

In the classifieds here, there is an ad for an early 620 grill $300.

• Like 1