New Classifieds

I gotta say, I hate the new classifieds. I thought maybe I'd get used to it, so I gave it some time, but I still hate it. I thought the old setup was fine. Likely I won't be browsing the classifieds anymore, or at least not as often and in depth as I used to. Now I look at the first page, and a couple ads, then get frustrated by it and leave.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really like it still either.

Maybe they could have asked a few members to help mod the classifieds sections... Like add one or two mods, that were only allowed (by either security leveling, or just being told this is all you CAN do or your mod status is revoked) and have them help weed out the BS in the classifieds section. Removing spam, junk, internet fights....  Just help keep it clean, to take a load off the site mods...  That would have been x10 better then the new system.  Oh well.

• Like 1

Nothing is free. We have a 'program' to filter a lot of the spam content by weeding out members as they apply for membership. It's never and can't be perfect and a few get by and are erased and banned. Recently we forgot to pay the 'rent' on our program and that has been rectified. Or something like that.

Have you thought about instituting a CAPTCHA for signing up?- or answering a simple question that bots wont know... that would weed out 99% of the spam. 

• Like 1

I don't go the the Classifieds any more.

How many hours of free time has that added to your day? Lol

But also, how many people have bought parts that wouldn't fit their application because you weren't there?

Oh, the pressure to be King Rat must be extraordinary...

I noticed my post for "a vehicle for sale" has expired, but it still shows up there ... is that by design, or is something broken?

It only shows up when reviewing what's posted - when I click on it there's an error message.  Strange - just letting you know.

Yep, it is very sad. I am not on the site as much do to the classified's............................

X2... storage units full of parts, just not willing to deal with the new unimproved format.... 

Could we at least have separate areas for items that are FS and wanted? 

There is a way to tie discussions to the ads and that is being worked out. For now your PM boxes might get a little full.

Sorry for the inconveinience, but hopefully a little short term pain will lead us to a better classified system.

Please don't take this as a complaint, it is meant as feedback.  This is my two cents worth of help here ...

I posted a truck for sale, and I got PMs ... lots of them.  I guess in "Sales 101" they will tell you that's a good thing, the more the better.

I got really tired of answering the same questions over-and-over, and I can't add them to my classified ad (like we can do on eBay or CL).

I think my responses got worse as time went on, maybe the "cut and paste" I did a lot of makes it sound more like a rant after a while?

Who knows, in the long run, but I currently think there was value to the old approach. 

Much more informative, easier to deal with folks - perhaps even more entertaining?

Oh well - it seems I'm not looking at the classified section here much anymore, but I still search CL

Plus, my experience with the new classified sucked - so I won't post there anymore - I will use CL

I don't go the the Classifieds any more.

Yep, it is very sad. I am not on the site as much do to the classified's............................

Rebecca_Jorden_2119.jpg

I was mostly kidding, mostly.

it seems to me it would be easier to navigate the new classifieds if they were they could be sorted by model

this is a suggestion and not a complaint, does anyone that can make decisions for this site read this thread anymore?   if the admins are resolute in keeping the new classifieds, having model sections instead of "engine, drivetrain, ect," would be quite an improvement.

We keep this thread open for profiling purposes......

The old one needed changes to eliminate jabbering, off topic comments, bitching and questions by those not even interested in buying selling. It seems that some members live to post there, it must be their whole life, and when it changed they had no where else to go. I don't know if it's for the best or not but the classifieds section does not define Ratsun any more than Insomniacs does. Some complaints have been addressed maybe others are in the works as well, maybe not. The simple fact is you can't please all of the people all of the time. We try for the best and hope.

The simple fact is you can't please all of the people all of the time. We try for the best and hope.

Dear Ratsun Gods, how about aiming to please the most people possible by reverting to the old version.

There are now 23 pages of people complaining about the new system, were there 23 pages of complaints about the douche baggery and lame replies in the old version?

jm2c

• Like 2

If something works for you (or you don't care) it's unlikely you'll say anything about it, right? So that leaves the complainers. This post is heavily weighted with the complainers and this can be misleading. It's really only several pages of the same people complaining they don't like it and not 'the most people'.  

• Like 1

The rest of the forum is pretty much the same aside from the classifieds. Not a deal breaker for me. I make most of my sales from people approaching me via PM. While I did like the old classifieds a lot better for many reasons, I usually don't log in to ratsun with the sole intent of selling something. There was a similar shit-storm when we changed over last time. Most of the bitching was about things that don't matter to the actual core of ratsun.

We keep this thread open for profiling purposes......

The old one needed changes to eliminate jabbering, off topic comments, bitching and questions by those not even interested in buying selling. It seems that some members live to post there, it must be their whole life, and when it changed they had no where else to go. I don't know if it's for the best or not but the classifieds section does not define Ratsun any more than Insomniacs does. Some complaints have been addressed maybe others are in the works as well, maybe not. The simple fact is you can't please all of the people all of the time. We try for the best and hope.

you are correct that you cannot please all of the people all of the time. the problem is that a good percentage of the threads in every part of ratsun, from general discussion to the classifieds to general technical have jabbering, off topic comments, bitching, and questions by those not even interested in helping, just on being a pain in the ass. this is a part of ratsun that the community accepts and for the most part welcomes.  this (to me, and possibly to others) is why this change has been so unwelcome. part of it was turned from the dysfunctional yet semi-loving family that this forum is, and basically got turned into ebays buy it now feature.  a forum is a place for talk, discussion, arguing(within reason), and the classifieds have ceased to be part of the forum. 

• Like 1

Y'all need to ask yourself one question:

. .. has anyone sold anything yet?

because if the answer is still no . .. then it doesn't work ... . .. . It's obvious that we dropped to less than 2 or 3 new classified ads every 24hrs, compared to the old format, of at least 10-15 new ads a day ... . not to mention the lack of views for each ad

• Like 3