Why Datsuns ?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your Datsun will never get mad if you enjoy driving another car even if younger than she is.

Your Datsun never has a headache.

Your Datsun doesn't mind if you want to drive her at 3 AM.

Your Datsun won't get upset if you let a friend drive her.

Your Datsun can be driven and enjoyed all month long.

Your Datsun won't take you to court for alimony if you get rid of her.

Your Datsun doesn't mind if you want to drive her in public.

Your Datsun doesn't need flowers before letting you put the key in the ignition.

I believe in the EI dizzy, and the IR alternator. That Datsun IS a car and that the almighty Nissan made them. I believe in gear reduction starters for colder climates and high output oil pumps. That setting valve lash hot is better than cold, and that a good mechanic does not need to use RTV. That a good used junkyard part is superior to a reconditioned one and I believe in the merits of a hot start relay and re torquing head bolts at every tune up. I believe that a higher output alternator trumps a stock one and that dash light dimmer switches were installed by Nissan as an in joke by the engineers. I have faith that when a Datsun quits on the side of the road that almost anyone can check for spark and fuel and that having found one and fixing the other it will start and get you home.

This is what I do believe in.

• Like 1

Because they're fun and different. At least to somebody that has always had/driven American cars. Back when Datsun was at the dealer, I thought they were really cool imports. I remember 280Zs being a big deal in the early 80s. I remember Camaro and Mustang guys hating 280Zs. 620s were the first mini-trucks I remember anyone tricking out and they looked really cool when they did. So, when I came across a B210 for cheap, I had to dive in.

Two reasons:

1) a 280ZXT was my first car, so that stuck me with the Nissan bug,

2) I had lusted over a car (didn't know what a Datsun 510 was at the time) in a parking lot for some time, then saw it for sale in Autotrader, and bought it......the rest is history.