Granny's Goon 1968 510

So I was contacted by a young man a while back about his 510 wagon that was just given to him by the family of a decessed neighbor. I gave him a few tips for getting it running and of course mentioned if he ever wanted to get rid of it to give me a call. Months went by and I got a text out of the blue from him saying he was ready to sell so I made an appointment, hooked up the dolly and this is what I found when I got there...

photo_zps88dbdf6f.jpg

photo_zps26494fbb.jpg

photo_zpsf229e847.jpg

photo_zpsef8bccb3.jpg

photo_zps445c727a.jpg

photo_zpsa986ba8b.jpg

So there is a down side. The little old lady hired some shady guys to do some body work and repaint it at some point. It has the worst bondo job I have ever seen in my life! fortunately there are only a few places that they got to, the drivers door being the worst. Another good thing is they didnt sand or prep at all before laying the bondo so it flakes off fairly easy. Did I mention it runs and drives too? The other down side is I have too many Dattos now so if I keep this one I need to thin the heard.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

of the 68 and the 69, the 68 one is the one I'd keep and flip the 69. then do a RHD conversion and build an SSS engine to slide in place. hmmm did Datsun ever build an SSS Wagon?

Horrible idea. The dash looks straight no sense in buying a rhd dash and swapping it or cutting up this one to make it rhd. And there was no such thing as a SSS wagon.

• Like 1

Does any one have a good way of removing poorly applied bondo? I want to peel it off without totally destroying the paint underneath so i can cruise with less embarrassment. I dont want any one to think I applied this stuff and i dont want primer patches either. The sparp flathead screwdriver is taking forever. Heat gun? Rubbing alcohol?

Thanks guys for the heat gun tip. It was much easier to peel the bondo off while it was hot. Bummer is the hacks that put the bondo all over also went to town with a slide hammer. I don't want to swap doors even though I have a good spare, because I thought 68's had different handles and window regulators. So I guess I'll have to find a good body guy or try it myself.

photo_zps7c4ca6d2.jpg

photo_zps3ba878de.jpg

Here is a pic of the muffler that exploded after a backfire when the PO had it. I have a flow master in the garage that will go on it soon.

photo_zps55412785.jpg