Intro by new member

After lurking around here anonymously for a while (and already learning a ton), it was time to register and say hello.

My name is Dirk and I'm new here, and new to the 510. I just bought my first dime, an all-stock 1970 two-door from the original California owner. I'm still pretty new to working on cars, did a couple of small repairs on my 1988 RX-7, but decided I should get a car I really love if I want a project, hence the 510.

The brakes went out while driving it home, so I already know what type of fluid I'll be getting on my clothes first.  :rofl:

Here's some oics (or pics if you prefer), expect many technical questions to soon follow in their appropriate sections. thanks!

887831_430201960401094_482265694_o_zpsf9

888392_430201710401119_160657216_o_zps90

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Yeah, the handbrake worked well enough and thankfully I managed to remember how to use it in time. :)

More oics coming soon, the exterior is close to perfect (zero dings or dents), but interior and mechanicals need some TLC..

Welcome to the site. Clean looking car. Where are the engine and interior shots? What are you plans for it?

+1...yea we need shots from all around and inside. also would like to know your plans. is that original paint or original color? a good friend of mine said " orginal paint just means it's been re-painted the oriinal color'

• Like 1
Cool and unique color and already has the Ratsun painters tape holding the mirror together. Love it. Jonesing on that weather. Your in good hands now. Dot 3 fluid eats paint as mentioned by izzo.

Use DOT4 in any case.  Not DOT5, it's silicone and compressible giving spongy brake feel [although it is resistant to moisture absorption, which might come in handy in Menlo Park].

Your wish is my command. oics, oics oics!

+1...yea we need shots from all around and inside. also would like to know your plans. is that original paint or original color? a good friend of mine said " orginal paint just means it's been re-painted the oriinal color'

Yeah, it's a repaint, in — close to — the original Bamboo Tan.

overspray_zpscfb404da.jpg

The new color is a little more saturated than the original, but pretty close. There's some overspray here and there on the rubber (they hardly bothered to remove any trim, the bastards) but that's pretty easy to clean off. You can also see some light scratches in this oic, there's a bunch of them on the hood and some of the other panels, but nothing that won't buff out.

Use DOT4 in any case.  Not DOT5, it's silicone and compressible giving spongy brake feel [although it is resistant to moisture absorption, which might come in handy in Menlo Park].

Just got myself a huge supply of DOT 3, I spent two nights flush quite some fluid through the system and trying to bleed it and got a little bit of braking ability back, but realized now that I did it in the wrong order (did the front wheels first, thought that made sense when using a vacuum pump instead of pump and hold), so will take another stab this weekend. Also ordered some braided steel replacements for the flexible lines that are barely holding together.

brakefluid_zps3c6267e0.jpg

This is what the worst of the fluid looked like, some of the bleeders were clogged with rust particles as well, makes me wonder if I should just overhaul the system right away…

frontbrakes_zpsba0e68e8.jpg

Also found a Mitsubishi logo on my front brake, slight WTF moment there.

rustyfrontbrake_zps939ce2b0.jpg

rearbrakes_zps90a04c13.jpg

Rusty front and rear brakes. Just from looking at this pictures, what do you guys think? Should I just take the plunge and replace more than those flexible lines right away?

Now for some interior shots:

steeringwheel-chew_zps03327102.jpg

The steering wheel suggests the original owner had a dog at some point...

frontseats_zps881eea16.jpg

seats are really clean.

safetyfirst_zps24bf7bf4.jpg

Just like the brakes, seatbelts weren't a priority for the original owner. This'll be the next thing I replace after I get the brakes to work again.

originalradio_zps5723180a.jpg

Light from the radio, but no sound, also notice the huge cracks in the dash. If anyone has a good dash lying around, I'm game.

berkeleydatsun_zpsc32ccc43.jpg

Normally I ditch the dealer license plate first thing on any car I buy, but I'm definitely keeping this one.

enginebay_zpsc77bbeee.jpg

Dirty ole' L16

littlerustunderthehood_zpsf4a16421.jpg

A little rust in the engine bay, and there's probably a ton waiting for me when I dare to remove the floor mats.. Body panels are almost all completely clean. 

Your wish is my command. oics, oics oics!

Yeah, it's a repaint, in — close to — the original Bamboo Tan.

overspray_zpscfb404da.jpg

The new color is a little more saturated than the original, but pretty close. There's some overspray here and there on the rubber (they hardly bothered to remove any trim, the bastards) but that's pretty easy to clean off. You can also see some light scratches in this oic, there's a bunch of them on the hood and some of the other panels, but nothing that won't buff out.

Ahh my friends theory still stands lol, looks good regardless. if you ever decide to ditch thoes rear seats let me know I need a set ;)

enginebay_zpsc77bbeee.jpg

Dirty ole' L16

Not that its a giant issue, but you should spin that air cleaner so the intake points to the grille. Its suppose to feed cold air from the grille into the carb and not the hot air the rises from your headers. It gets enough of that from the heater recirc. 

Those seats look great! And overall the car looks great. Once again, welcome to the site. 

We dont...

Welcome to the site. Clean looking car. Where are the engine and interior shots? What are you plans for it?

Lol, oics it is  :thumbup:

Plans eh, good question… They'll probably change over time, as this is my first 510 and I really need to get to know it. Since the car is completely stock, I'm probably going to keep it as close to that as I can bear.

Cosmetically, I want it to look stock to people who don't know these cars, but with a couple of subtle period-correct mods. Leaning toward 14" Z-car mag wheels (the appliance ones), or maybe American Racing Spectres if I find some for a good price, a B210 GX Sport steering wheel. And I'll probably lower the car about 1" after I drive it around stock for a while so I can actually tell the difference in handling.  :angel:

Mechanically, I want to stick with L-series engines. I hope to keep the original L-16 going and maybe build it up a little if I want more power. I'll probably end up swapping in a 5-speed when I get tired of cruising at 4000 rpm. Maybe I'll upgrade the brakes, but I want to see what it's like with a functional stock system (+ braided steel lines) first.

The wheels are first up. It's currently rolling on 4 different crap tires on the original steelies (if anyone needs an original 13" hubcap, HMU — I have all four, three are in decent condition), already had one blowout this evening when rolling around at 1mph.

Ahh my friends theory still stands lol, looks good regardless. if you ever decide to ditch thoes rear seats let me know I need a set ;)

will do :)

Not that its a giant issue, but you should spin that air cleaner so the intake points to the grille. Its suppose to feed cold air from the grille into the carb and not the hot air the rises from your headers. It gets enough of that from the heater recirc. 

Those seats look great! And overall the car looks great. Once again, welcome to the site. 

that makes total sense, hahaha. I'll definitely turn it around..

thanks, really appreciate the warm welcome, this is an awesome community!

All jealous of that dime.......if you had been around here longer I would tell you I hate you :poke:

Nice dime and welcome to the site.

• Like 1