1971 Datsun 521 Snack Shack

I think I have a similar issue... I used to have my hood release cable wrapped up in my apron and it would sometime come loose under the car. I would have this weird noise that sounded like the cable touching my fan, but now that I have the cable in the right spot I know it's not touching the fan... Yet I still get that same sound intermittently.

It's weird.

Do your noise sound like something in the fan?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

electric fans ..... i dunno its wierd ....... i sounds like loose parts in the oil pan ..... butu i can feel it in the floor so it makes me think its maybe exhaust ... gonna pull the valve cover see if i see anything

i was thinking it might be the tranny too .... i dunno .... fuck i right its canby ... it will either make it or it wont ... i will try and see what the issue is before then but not hoping i find anything

yes its the loudest detonation ive ever heard but i have been using cheap 87 octane the last two times...im at about 9-10 degrees btdc.........since the over heating issues i have a dieseling that wasnt there before

Retard it a couple degrees at a time. So, go to 7-8 and check it. But the premium gas might be enough but then if that fixes it you will have to run premium all the time.

naner got me thinking ...... so i put more timing in it...upped to 12 degrees which is usually where i start my engines at .... runs smoother ..... runs cooler...(little not lots)  and im lacking a little power in 5th in my 720 tranny and 3.88... but i leaned her out a little too when i did this so might try and fatten her back up a little see if that helps ... alsp plan to check the exhaust right now see if its hitting the floor

fucking exhaust .... l 16 and 388 and a truck 5sp is just gut less...( well only in 5th gear )  detonation fixed by advancing tuning and better fuel,  it was minor the exhaust was most the noise again  hitting the tranny tunnel

fucking exhaust .... l 16 and 388 and a truck 5sp is just gut less...( well only in 5th gear )  detonation fixed by advancing tuning and better fuel,  it was minor the exhaust was most the noise again  hitting the tranny tunnel

I got rid of my POS L16 back in the 90s, and have not looked back since.

That L20b/5spd conversion was the best upgrade I have ever made to a Datsun truck, the LZ23 I have was a great upgrade also from the L20b, but going from an L16 to a L20b was a dramatic difference, it made the truck awesome compared to before when I thought about getting rid of it. 

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...