1971 Datsun 521 Snack Shack

i was thinking about a license plate montage....fer now......if u want that would be cool .....the water is annoying,   if i hit standing water it shoots water through the hole and all over my leg.....finally stole some floor mats at the jy and that helped.....snow piles up under them though ...lol.....

was told i have free reign with this sheet metal ....so eventually i will just swap this cab on and maybe all the nicest of parts...the inner fenders have been cut out but i need to do that and the firewall shall i ever get to bagging this project.....so fer now your fix sounds pretty aight!!!!!

2c618a19.jpg

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oh yeah no rush ...... i wouldnt be able to tackle it till later  this week.........

am i a pre madonna......?????  i been daily-ing the datto pretty much for awhile now..... i haven't driven it for three days... cause i washed it and its been raining....lol

later this week?? you have no idea what day it is do you???

:rofl:

That`s is the good thing about using that POR crap you just dry floor,, put on some gloves ,, dump the shit and throw the mat on it then smooth with brush.... like i said it`s like superglue,,, humidity sets it up,, so dampness in the air actually sets it up faster unlike normal paint....And it`s rubbery so it can take a beating..

Make sure you have lacquer thinner for cleaning skin

Just dont do whole floor so you can still cut out when you fix it right..

Or just cut a large square/rectangle of it out that's just going to keep eating its way outward and weld in a new patch.  POR15'ing that shit is going to take almost as long being as you need to prep it properly to really work very well.  

Either way, that picture kind of makes me sad.  The rest of your truck actually looks pretty damn nice, and then you have fucking Flinstone floors and ass-raping springs in your seat.  LOL.

i have sold por 15 and applied it ... there's no cleaning it off your skin...period.. lots of customers would come back with black hands for weeks on end......one other recommendation... don't get it n the lip of the can then put the lid back on .....it wont come back off....

problem with a quick weld in,  is the whole floor is wishy washy...so it would be tack ,  tack,    blow out,  tack, tack ,  bigger blow out ....i hate chasing blow outs ... that's when i entertained the idea of the license plate montage....maybe encasing it in resin or something......i thought about starting a thread for old plates off datsuns for both foot wells...

worse part about how lazy im being about the seat.....some times when i go to get out one of the s bend cushion springs slips in my back pocket and epic fails me back into the truck....i could at least swap the beach towel around so the tears on the other side and the springs will be covered....i digress...

Coming from a gal who covered most of her truck with that stuff,,, jealousy maybe.. trying to keep the Rock down by not using the technologically advanced material?? Yeah just use a "piece of metal over the hole" ,,,seriously,, we wont make fun of you from our space age coating ,,, coated vehicle..

:lol:

Yeah but i figured since he wasn`t fixing it now.... how could patching it up for awhile be worse than leaving a hole? and to that extent why use all those overpriced miracle metal preparing , cough cough snake oil, cough cough, chemicals if he`s just going to rip it out (or not ) later.

• Like 1

Coming from a gal who covered most of her truck with that stuff,,, jealousy maybe.. trying to keep the Rock down by not using the technologically advanced material?? Yeah just use a "piece of metal over the hole" ,,,seriously,, we wont make fun of you from our space age coating ,,, coated vehicle..

:lol:

Yeah but i figured since he wasn`t fixing it now.... how could patching it up for awhile be worse than leaving a hole? and to that extent why use all those overpriced miracle metal preparing , cough cough snake oil, cough cough, chemicals if he`s just going to rip it out (or not ) later.

I only say it, because the passenger floorboard of my 521 needs to be re-done already.  We actually followed the instructions pretty damn closely too, and it's still obvious that the rust is having its way under the POR.   :hmm:

I just hate seeing these things rust from the inside out.  And I also know how it goes when I say that I'm going to do a temp fix and get to it later with a bigger, better fix......... that bigger, better fix doesn't happen for way longer than I had anticipated because we have too many other projects that end up being given a higher priority.....   :rolleyes:

And back to the topic of your seat.....  I had to run to the fabric store to pick up thread for work, and couldn't help but check out what they had in stock.  I fucking love the selection at this place!  You could totally have Snuffleupagus, or Big Bird, or Chewy, or a zebra or a bumble bee or some other crazy shit in your truck!!   :w00t:

Image03212013141044_zps43187793.jpg

Image03212013141029_zpseae30022.jpg

And they even have bronze Gator to match your wheels!  We could never park next to each other if you did that though  :P

downsized_Image03212013140741_zps73d9f24

• Like 1
And back to the topic of your seat.....  I had to run to the fabric store to pick up thread for work, and couldn't help but check out what they had in stock.  I fucking love the selection at this place!  You could totally have Snuffleupagus, or Big Bird, or Chewy, or a zebra or a bumble bee or some other crazy shit in your truck!!   :w00t:

Image03212013141044_zps43187793.jpg

holy teletubby smokes! shaved chewy interior.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

lol no its a customers  storage building ... i trade work for a space for my boat and a car ....we are working on his ..

IMG_20130331_101407_zps600e73f2.jpg

IMG_20130331_101400_zpsa39c80a3.jpg

..i am paint the roof and window pinch welds so he can put the glass back in,...

another project of his i gotta do some work on .... double cab...

IMG_20130331_101415_zpsce49c6da.jpg

some wheels we did for a 350 z...... bmw 19's...

IMG_20130401_154756_zpsfa516745.jpg

IMG_20130401_154801_zpsc0cc3607.jpg

IMG_20130401_154810_zpsa760e50b.jpg

the snack shack is done for a bit...but one thing i am gonna build here shortly is a hard tonneau cover....aluminum frame for ease of removal .....havent decided what im gonna use for the top.....was considering aluminum sheet so i could powder coat it but cant weld it with out warping it ...maybe epoxy it to the frame but the heat will not treat the epoxy well when i go to powder it....

..i am paint the roof and window pinch welds so he can put the glass back in,...

another project of his i gotta do some work on .... double cab...

IMG_20130331_101415_zpsce49c6da.jpg

some wheels we did for a 350 z...... bmw 19's...

Ever think that that  German van-truck thing may be taking up an awful lotta space ???....... I know a guy .

He works on the oceans but he`s not a flipper..

Talk amongst yerselves..

the gentleman that owns these coronas and sir double cab takes quite a razzing from me.... hes had several projects where he aquires everything then ends selling it before he works on it.,...hesa quitter......i told him when i drove to oregon to get the corona for him, that he better not do what he did with his celica project...aquire a bunch of shit just to sell....the vw may go that way still ... its got plans for a mustang two....a front walk through and that stupid light on the roof... to which i am currently ridiculing to get him to not pu tit on there.....he keeps saying"  but u never see that done to one..."  yeah theres a reason u dont see it done ...