1971 Datsun 521 Snack Shack

lol ......wish i had a pic of my brothers single cab......its dumped......i wouldnt mind one bu man air cooled vw stuff is slowwwwwwwwwwwww

darted out of work about 11 am so i could....

IMG_20130409_114547_zps8e14fdf9.jpg

IMG_20130409_130619_zps11c231e3.jpg

IMG_20130409_145319_zpsdc53e7b1.jpg

IMG_20130409_165751_zpse8965f7b.jpg

IMG_20130409_192828_zpsf8efcbc5.jpg

IMG_20130418_132107_zps17dbd3f8.jpg

and current pic...added

IMG_20130420_185713_zpsecd624e2.jpg

my back hurts from moving that wood pile three times....at least it got smaller as the wood was applied...will frame up the lower deck this weekend and some stairs..

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like wood decks anymore, to high maintenance, only looks good for a couple years, and then you have to dump a bunch of money/time into it again.

The only way it will last any decent amount of time is if it has a roof over it 24/7.

Trex or the like is the only way to go if it is out in the weather, and you still have to clean it every year, but it will last 20 years plus.

Wayno maybe his wife made the decission on the deck material and set a timeline for it to be completed in or else..............anyone guy that has ever been married knows what the or else means, or maybe the added benefit of more time and money being allowed to be spent on the datsuns

used trex before and in a tree'd environment, like a lot of trees on or near property, that shit gets slicker then a a trout on hot asphalt....plus like chopper said ...its a time vs cost vs deadline deal ....plus not gonna live here for much longer so im up inthe air about it........plus i havent even decided on a decking yet but was leaning towards inexpensive ....i will tell u the wood they sell now is like the gas.that is available to us....fucking junk .....cupped, tweaked.....u name it....i dont have all day to sift through a lumber yard looking for grade a shit....its a shame what people suffice within this day and age....shits more expensive and lower quality... seems legit ...not

• Like 2

fuck i went to probuild lumbermans and they barely had shit for treated and what they had was just shit....one 2x10 was cupped and a huge crown and twist and had a wierd end wehere it bent back and forth .... the lumber place claims it happens as it drys....most pieces were ok but some i dont know how they passed quality inspection at the mill...

I just threw it out there, I pressure wash for a living, I know what I don't want, how not to build, and definitely how not to put a roof on, especially a tile roof.

Trex and the like is good because you can just fill a pump sprayer with a 50% bleach solution, spray it on the deck during a cloudy/drizzly day and walk away, it will kill all that moss/mildew, and it will also help speed up the pressure washing process if you decide to go that way, as you don't need to get near as close to the decking for the same result, if your not as close, it cleans a wider path, and that makes the job go faster, if you use a broom on it while it is still wet, it will actually rinse off with a garden hose, but that takes time also.

I have spent half an hour sorting threw wood(2X6s) to find 10 good boards at home depot, yes the wood they sell now days is crap, unless you buy from "Par Lumber", but you drain your bank account buying from them.

Fact is that trex is recycled materials, it looks one way when new, but then over a period of time, depending on location(sunny/shaded), it changes color. and all the other colors(specs of plastic) come to the surface, and it will never ever look the same again, but it is still better than wood.

Another draw back with it is if it is in direct sun, it will burn your feet, that stuff gets hot!!!

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_20130420_185709_zpsb927c2a7.jpg

pecking away,  im actaully farther then this decking but it was dark as fuck last night when i stopped .... so imagine halfway across with decking and i restacked all the decking o the left side of the upper deck....still got some stairs to do along with a storage box off to the right of the lower deck agaiinst the house and put up my sprinkler box along with sonme other outdoor lighting control boxes

Has Trex had enough guinea pigs to work out all their formulation problems (color changing, strange oxidation-like issues)?  What did you use, redwood?  Fawk, redwood is expensive, especially if you try to get anything clear.

why i wont use plastic decking materials......^^^^^^^^ plus its expensive as fuck and gets slicker then snot i would rather stain my shit every other year

well bored at work sat waiting for customers and dom....who never showed..... i decided to install that lip i been hesitating on ....

IMG_20130427_113636_zps4fb759c8.jpg

IMG_20130427_113644_zps37b8645c.jpg

IMG_20130427_124226_zps90fd329a.jpg

i like that t doesn't protrude beyond the bumper....

IMG_20130427_124450_zps85924fd0.jpg

IMG_20130427_124419_zps04c61451.jpg

while my sandblaster was going to town on a 70 split bumper.....i swapped to a spare seat i had so i could start my seat lowering ......lol.....seat lowering...yes that seat base has no cushion.....but i put a towel .. .double folded it over twice....and its semi comfy.....but the back is in good shape...its temporary .. but the seat with nothing on it simulates the k=lowering  i am going for ......maybe a little more ... pretty comfy ... hans even liked the extra head room....

IMG_20130427_123715_zps40d55e6b.jpg

IMG_20130427_124055_zps4231a78f.jpg

old seat gonna get modded ...

IMG_20130427_124042_zpsd3e52e60.jpg

Sunday was gonna try and work on somes dattos but instead took advantage of decent weather....

IMG_20130427_181305_zps2f35873a.jpg

IMG_20130429_074203_zps1f6f10db.jpg

IMG_20130428_145440_zpscc308a60.jpg

• Like 1

IT SHIPS OUT TOMORROW MORNING...ooooppppppss sorry.....i will post a pic of it before the end of day...and thanks for the love ... it definitely photographs better then it is in person.....

i dont like that the wheel color is fighting the lip color.... definitely liked it on the red truck with chrome rims better ...... wasn't so noticeable...

F2426177-6457-4DA1-A8F1-559092779807-973

lol .... i kind of like it ... i think it would look better against chrome wheels....i have to many colors and finishes competing... :w00t:

i do love that it covers up the tension rods though.......i hated seeing those even after putting the valance on.....

• Like 1

i hate painting plastic and i like the black texture... ties into some of my black wrinkle powdercoating....everyone thats seen it has complimented me on it and says it looks good so i m prolly just being a bitch about it....got offered money for the truck this weekend twice by two different people....unfortunatly not for sale...