A10's U-nite !!!!

I am going to be running an a87 that I picked up, it has been shaved and rebuilt, passed a pressure test and is flat. The bolts for the cam tower have been replaced, I am curious about the minimum head thickness that I can run before it requires shims. I only have an sae caliper.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't say it was a good idea.   :rofl:

Just that it would accomplish what he (thinks he) wants, lower RPMs on the highway.

And I didn't mean it won't work just that I doubt anyone would be happy with the sluggish performance.

A better choice would be the '77-'78 280z and the '79 first year 280zx or the 810/Maxima mid ratio 5 speeds. These have similar 1 to 4 gears and about a 12" over drive. Performance would remain un-altered but at cruise speeds you would be able to reduce the RPMs by 12-14%.... turns out this is an automatic anyway....

is anyone running a full time vacuum gauge on the napz? what's a good tie-in point?

"why do you wanna run a vacuum gauge full time!?!".

because. I found a cool one in my bud's salvage and it would give my Datsun damned near every gauge (useless or otherwise) you could think of.

20150716_154608.jpg

is anyone running a full time vacuum gauge on the napz? what's a good tie-in point?

"why do you wanna run a vacuum gauge full time!?!".

because. I found a cool one in my bud's salvage and it would give my Datsun damned near every gauge (useless or otherwise) you could think of.

20150716_154608.jpg

Much much more than cool. It's a very good diagnostic tool and indicator of engine condition. It can point to a bad valve, bad lash setting, misfiring plug, sticking valve, improper ignition or cam timing, exhaust restriction. Also excellent for tuning a carb engine. Most importantly it indicates the load on an engine. Heavy throttle equals low reading. This is a great way to improve your gas mileage by keeping the vacuum reading as high as possible or not letting it droop below a certain point.

The vacuum gauge has fallen out of use in the last 30-40 years but used to be the most used tool in a garage at one time. Hardly anyone uses one and even fewer know how to read or interpret them.

It has to read intake manifold vacuum so I guess the brake booster hose fitting.

• Like 1

People claim they can tune a carb by ear.... and sure, maybe they can. Everytime I adjust my carb I ALWAYS use a vacuum gauge. In fact, I keep it behind my seat along with a flat head screw driver.

• Like 1

anyone have input on why the tranny slips, like it with seem like its gonna go to 3rd but it will stay in second i have to coaks it into third and really feather it, so bad i have to climb hills in second:/ idk if it needs a band adjustment or just the tranny of saying its on its way out, which i really hope not, ill change the filter this week, but would really like some suggestions plz!!

anyone have input on why the tranny slips, like it with seem like its gonna go to 3rd but it will stay in second i have to coaks it into third and really feather it, so bad i have to climb hills in second:/ idk if it needs a band adjustment or just the tranny of saying its on its way out, which i really hope not, ill change the filter this week, but would really like some suggestions plz!!

Have you checked the fluid level?

• Like 1

This is an automatic then? Owners tend to 'see' things that are not there. They 'feel' things that 'seem' wrong when in fact it's totally normal. Not saying this is the case but tens of thousands of these cars were made and they sound just like they sound out on the highway and may seem like they are over revving but they are not. People complain that their car is screaming at highway speeds but it's just normal for them.

'Seems' like it slips... you can...

Check the color of your transmission fluid. If slipping excessively it will be dark, muddy or even black with clutch material. If ruby red and see through it's fine.

There is only a brake band adjustment an owner can make but the oil pan has to come off. A good time to change the fluid.   

Well first make sure it isn't something else.

Post #3 and #9... http://community.ratsun.net/topic/59756-automatic-transmission-diagnosis/

1/ CHECK THE FLUID..... WHAT COLOR OR CONDITION IS IT IN? red, brown, black??? Anyone can do this IS IT LOW???? fill it up!!!

2/ CHECK THE VACUUM LINE FROM THE INTAKE TO THE MODULATOR VALVE. look for cracks, missing or disconnected. replace as needed. a leak will fool transmission into thinking you have floored the accelerator and delay the up shift. anyone can do this

3/ CHECK THE KICK DOWN SWITCH UNDER THE GAS PEDAL It should click only as the pedal reaches the floor. If set too high it will delay up shifts. Try this with the engine off.. you should hear a loud click from the switch.

A poorly tuned engine will show in a poorly shifting automatic. Things like poorly adjusted valves will lower the intake vacuum, see 2/ above. The vacuum signal tells the transmission how hard you are stepping down on the throttle. Low vacuum equals a higher shift point or maybe no up shift.

Band Adjustment.... You will need a quality accurate torque wrench for this. If not better to not do this at all as you will burn out parts.

To check/set the brake band have the pan off. Lower right of picture. Round servo with three bolts holding it on.

81280zxturboauomatic001Large.jpg

Loosen the center lock nut about two turns but do NOT remove. You may have to hold the bolt in the center from turning. Tighten the center bolt 9-11 ft. lbs. and then loosen exactly 2 (TWO) turns and hold in position while the lock nut is tightened to 11 -25 ft. lbs.