A10's U-nite !!!!

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm... I had thought I read somewhere one body style was either auto, or 4spd only

Every body style had the automatic as an option.  It was never a standard feature, though.  Manuals were more common.

The 4-speed was standard in all body styles except the 3-door coupe, which MAY have had the 5-speed standard.  I do not know this for sure- but I've never seen a 3-door (78-79) with a 4-speed.  I've had both 5-speed and automatic ones.  I have seen 5-door coupes (80-81) with all 3 transmissions (4, 5, auto).

Wagons never had a 5-speed except in 1981 (per the factory manual), but I've never seen a wagon with one (that was stock, that is).

Sedans, both 2 and 4 door, had 4-speeds standard with autos and 5-speeds as an option, and I've seen them.  But 4-speeds were most common.

is it ok to run the l20b's at high rpms like that though?

Should only be doing around 4000rpm at 70-75mph. If it's spinning a lot faster than that, something is wrong. 

And while they don't make much power past 5500, the occasional 6000rpm blast is fine. Routinely hitting 5000 is no problem at all. 

anyone know why the 3 speed autos can only go to 55-60 on the highway at high RPMs?

I had my Z24-powered '81 wagon w) Automatic up to 75.  And Z24s do NOT like high revs. And it had bad oil rings and horrid compression.  Plain wore out.  It still hit 70 easy.  It was maybe 4K revs, but I doubt it. 

65 with my long-departed '78 Automatic coupe was also quite easy.  Easier with the 5-speed though.  Easier on the ears, that is.

The high-rev sounds are a common complaint from folks that didn't drive these back in the day when overdrive was almost unheard of.  These aren't V-8s that turn 2K at freeway speeds.  They are small relatively high-rpm 4-bangers. 

80-81 all had tachs stock.  78-79 was an extremely rare option.

I have not been on this in so long haha. I have the ka for the most part ready to be dropped in now. I lost motivation for a long time. Are any of you guys good with all the hoses on the back side of the intake manifold on a single cam? I believe I can block a bunch of them off cause it's just envisions shit

No No I know there are a bunch of the how to. But there are a few that I have no idea where they run or how much hose I will need, pretty much all of them snapped when I first got the engine cause they were so griddle. There is also a snaped brass tube on the back that I have no idea where or what it is

No No I know there are a bunch of the how to. But there are a few that I have no idea where they run or how much hose I will need, pretty much all of them snapped when I first got the engine cause they were so griddle. There is also a snaped brass tube on the back that I have no idea where or what it is

Yeah, delete the EGR valve

@ Fat510 whered you get the gasket decal in your back window????

User crackerjack at canby 2013. Production was very limited, like he made less than 30

• Like 1