A10's U-nite !!!!

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The one on the exhaust manifold is already blocked. I'll take a picture tonight. Its like a quarter inch brass thing coming off the back of the intake manifold

That would be a coolant line going to heater core.

alright does anyone have a fuel gauge sender unit i am in need of one ASAP mine just shat the bed

i thought these all came from the factory with bad fuel level senders. I need one too!

A guy in Mexico sells them on eBay, but they're along the same lines as the Mexican re-pop tail lights. If you tighten them too much they'll break.

I know I was less than 4,000rpms on the freeway. Our freeways around here are 70mph.

I had my Z24-powered '81 wagon w) Automatic up to 75.  And Z24s do NOT like high revs. And it had bad oil rings and horrid compression.  Plain wore out.  It still hit 70 easy.  It was maybe 4K revs, but I doubt it. 

65 with my long-departed '78 Automatic coupe was also quite easy.  Easier with the 5-speed though.  Easier on the ears, that is.

The high-rev sounds are a common complaint from folks that didn't drive these back in the day when overdrive was almost unheard of.  These aren't V-8s that turn 2K at freeway speeds.  They are small relatively high-rpm 4-bangers. 

80-81 all had tachs stock.  78-79 was an extremely rare option.

All US L20B powered A10s, manual or auto, had the 3.545 rear axle through '79. Canada kept the L20B through '80. See the list below for what year and model got the optional 5 speed. Canada did not get the 5 speed any year of A10

The Canadian and all US Z20S powered A10s from '80 on uses a 3.364 differential.

All came with 165 SR/13 tires (assuming they would have been 165/70R13 about 22" to 23" diameter) so using the smallest size, a little math says that.... at 70 MPH you are at 3879 RPMs in the L20B car and 3,440 RPMs in the Z20 powered cars.

I thought coupes were only 4 spd? Or am I mistaken?

Assume you mean coupe as the 2 door 4 door hatchback????

All models of all years could be ordered with an automatic but for standard transmission....

4 speeds were available on the sedan and the wagon through '79. There were no 4 door hatchbacks until '80.

4 speeds were available on the sedan, wagon and the 4 door hatchback in '80. There were no 2 door hatchbacks after '79

5 speeds were only available on the 2 door hatchback through '79. There were no 4 door hatchbacks until '80.

5 speeds were available on the '80 sedan, wagon and 4 door hatchback. There were no 2 door hatchbacks after '79

5 speeds were only available on the 4 door hatchback after '80

Some Autoglass places can make them costs more, around here a broken windshield is something that will get your vehicle pulled off the road and uninsurable until it is fixed. We don't care about emissions but you loose your insurance if a crack touches 2sides of the window.

All US L20B powered A10s, manual or auto, had the 3.545 rear axle through '79. Canada kept the L20B through '80. See the list below for what year and model got the optional 5 speed. Canada did not get the 5 speed any year of A10

The Canadian and all US Z20S powered A10s from '80 on uses a 3.364 differential.

All came with 165 SR/13 tires (assuming they would have been 165/70R13 about 22" to 23" diameter) so using the smallest size, a little math says that.... at 70 MPH you are at 3879 RPMs in the L20B car and 3,440 RPMs in the Z20 powered cars.

Assume you mean coupe as the 2 door 4 door hatchback????

All models of all years could be ordered with an automatic but for standard transmission....

4 speeds were available on the sedan and the wagon through '79. There were no 4 door hatchbacks until '80.

4 speeds were available on the sedan, wagon and the 4 door hatchback in '80. There were no 2 door hatchbacks after '79

5 speeds were only available on the 2 door hatchback through '79. There were no 4 door hatchbacks until '80.

5 speeds were available on the '80 sedan, wagon and 4 door hatchback. There were no 2 door hatchbacks after '79

5 speeds were only available on the 4 door hatchback after '80

do they have secondary overdrives that can go on the front if the axle, id like to do something to at least lower the rpms to 3 grand that would make me happy, if any of you have input on how to do so???

do they have secondary overdrives that can go on the front if the axle, id like to do something to at least lower the rpms to 3 grand that would make me happy, if any of you have input on how to do so???

Three grand at what speed? They already are 3.545 or 3.364 how low do you want? My 710s were 4.11 for the L18 and 3.7 for the L20B and the L20B was kind of slouchy on the highway. You can't just keep dropping the RPMs because you have to make enough power to push through the increasing air resistance at speed. To go 60 MPH it takes 4 times the power than it does to go 30.

You have round eye A10 so 3.545 differential. At 60 you will be revving 3,250. Three grand is very arbitrary and has no relation to how well the car will act or perform. I can't believe Nissan stuck these low a gears in them. Totally a mileage grab attempt and no thought to performance. This car would be ten times better with a 3.70 or 3.889 in it and still get good mileage..

280ZX 5spd.  :thumbup:

A zx 5 speed will be too much for this heavy a car. '80-'83 280zx non turbo 5 speed... at 60 in 5th you will be revving 2,514 RPM with the secondary part open and likely loosing ground. Every up-sloping hill, every pass and every windy day you will need to be in 3rd or 4th gear.

The diameter of the tire will change your over all gearing and can raise or lower your speed/RPMs. Rim size has nothing to do with it. You can select tires for a 13" rim that are larger/taller than those on a 14" rim 

This is an automatic then? Owners tend to 'see' things that are not there. They 'feel' things that 'seem' wrong when in fact it's totally normal. Not saying this is the case but tens of thousands of these cars were made and they sound just like they sound out on the highway and may seem like they are over revving but they are not. People complain that their car is screaming at highway speeds but it's just normal for them.

'Seems' like it slips... you can...

Check the color of your transmission fluid. If slipping excessively it will be dark, muddy or even black with clutch material. If ruby red and see through it's fine.

There is only a brake band adjustment an owner can make but the oil pan has to come off. A good time to change the fluid.   

I just bought a filter kit for it because I'm pretty sure it hasn't been changed at all I'm going to re line the cooler lines when the trans is empty with new clamps as well, it is slipping because at town speeds 0 to 40 it shifts fine but when required to speed up it shifts out of second then sits there I then have to let off and feather it into third and this brake band adjustment you speak of how would I perform such a task