What are your guys' thoughts on a V8 in a 521?

71datsuns

So I have a SB 327 lying around. I know this L16 isn't going to last forever. Also I'm tired of only doing 55 to work and back and not being able to put the power down when I need it. I was wondering what you guys thought, maybe some insight on this. I figured I'd have to fab some motor mounts and probably a few other things. But do you guys think its possible? Probably have to upgrade the rear axle? Drive line? I just think it would be fun to have a little truck with a small block in it!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing as how light the back end is, I think you'd have trouble putting power to the ground. You're also gonna need to fabricate alot more than motor mounts.

I'd say sell/hold onto the SB, and drop in a KA. Should be more than enough to scoot you down the road with a smile on your face.

• Like 1

dont do it.

so many times we see people try dropping in V8s just because they where laying around....

and they dont realize its a lot more involved than just motor and tranny mounts,

and then it winds up a chopped up half finished project that gets abandoned.

shouldnt ever stick a motor into something just cuz its laying around.

a KA swap is dirt cheap to pick up, actually fits, is documented and its 100x better than an L16.

but even up grading the ol L16 to a nicely built L18 or L20B will be a vast difference.

and they bolt right in no mods needed...

even building up the L16 would get you goin faster than 55 lol my old L16 would put me up to freeway speeds easy.

• Like 1

Anything is possible if you throw enough time and/or money at it.

I have seen very few successful small block datsun pickups, I have seen more uncompleted ones for sale over the years, as it isn't as easy as it would seem, but I am sure there are a lot of them out there, they just don't belong to Ratsun.

It will likely take a custom exhaust system, and a custom steering system, better front brakes, and a delicate foot when the roads are wet.

I suspect that you will either have to mount the radiator in the bed/box, or hack the firewall, as there is only 29 inches in the 521 engine compartment for the engine and radiator, and that is how long my 350 is from just in back of the head to the water pump fan pulley mount.

Do it.Just finish the project.I have never done a engine swap but other then a hacked up firewall and im pretty sure removing or relocating the e-brake why would it be much harder then a sr-20 or ka swap.Still got to make custom motor mount and tranny mounts wiring the fuel injection which is harder then like 2 wires for a carbed engine and you can use a crappy fuel pump no surge tank and it will just down right sound awesome with a radical cam loping down the street. I hear what these guys are saying but with a few bucks and a guy that can measure and weld BOOM your done.I want to do it but i just cant get myself to cut the firewall and thats were I dont want to cut up a really good truck.[well maybe]

You must be new here. :rofl:

You will be much better off sticking with a Nissan motor. The SBC is a terribly inefficient motor anyways. I put a Nissan VG30 in my 620, and that created traction problems. I cant even imagine having a SBC boat anchor over the front wheels and trying to keep control of the truck.

• Like 1

Remove the heater and throw away. Cut firewall and remove trans tunnel. Fabricate new tunnel for the TH350. Custom driveshaft tranny/motor mounts. Custom exhaust to clear the torsion bars. At the least get a dual master cylinder for this. Preferably front disc brakes as well.

Hmmm Portland.... you're going to need a heater. Better get a KA and 5 speed

You must be new here. :rofl:

You will be much better off sticking with a Nissan motor. The SBC is a terribly inefficient motor anyways. I put a Nissan VG30 in my 620, and that created traction problems. I cant even imagine having a SBC boat anchor over the front wheels and trying to keep control of the truck.

Sounds like fun.Or go with a Ford 5.0 and AODE.Im crazy and thats just me.

• Like 1

Also I'm tired of only doing 55 to work???

Speed limit is 55 already and its only a work truck.

You either have lots of down time on your hands and also alot of money.

buy a 521 w a V8 already in it and save that one.

In rush hour traffic I rarely get over 60 before ai have to slow down again.

Theres a guy at my local startbucks asying the same thing. Hey put a V8 in there(my 521) or he want to buy it to put a V8 in it.

But I see him in a Nice Honda ( stock) Accord.

buy a L20 and bolt some sidedrafts and that willbe a 2 day job and done

micro summed it up.

or

you can dual draft and have a cam re-ground for your l-series :)

I respect people who work with what they have.

on the flipside you can sell your KA swap relatively quick if you truly want more power ...

or turbo it hehe

I am a fan of sbc chevy stuff :D

I'll take that ol 55mph L16 off your hands!! I'll throw on my offenhauser intake weber carb and W58 peanut head with big cam in it, dogleg 5 speed and call it good.

Oh wait....I already have an L16 like that and its even running 4.88 gears and still cruises on the fwy at 65 no probs. She gets pissed at me if I don't run her at 4500rpm.

Its your truck man, build it how you want.....just be sure to finish it. We hate to see hacked up Datsuns sold to scrap cuz someone couldn't finish a job.

I am all for engine swaps, as long as you keep it in the family. The Nissan family. Only time a v8 should go in there is if it's gonna be raced. like this one.

DSC03179.jpg

DSC03178.jpg

For street use it would seem like a waste of power cause you can't really unleash the beast.

But like others have said, it's your truck and build what you want. as long as you finish it.

I have a L16 with a 32/36 weber and a dogleg 5spd and she'll do 70mph on the freeway all day long.

I am all for engine swaps, as long as you keep it in the family. The Nissan family. Only time a v8 should go in there is if it's gonna be raced. like this one.

DSC03179.jpg

DSC03178.jpg

For street use it would seem like a waste of power cause you can't really unleash the beast.

But like others have said, it's your truck and build what you want. as long as you finish it.

You see it looks like it belongs there.What a work of art.Good job with inspiration pictures.Now get it in there a

Ready.No balls.

I have a L16 with a 32/36 weber and a dogleg 5spd and she'll do 70mph on the freeway all day long.