DatsuNoob's epic 620 build thread

Guest DatsuNoob

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DatsuNoob

cleaned all the threads up with a 6mm X 1.0 tap and slapped on the fenders and fit up the valance. Fit like absolute horse shit! Aftermarket panels pretty much suck :no: I was diggin the mock up tho. Front end looks good with a couple little add ons

Guest DatsuNoob

Here's the start of my plans for the front

001-6.jpg

And a little piece from Tdaaj, thanks Ted! :thumbup:

002-6.jpg

Just a mock up here to visualize, I may eliminate the center support on the valance to accentuate that grill piece, havent made any solid decisions yet. Just started working the buckets for the BMW headlights this afternoon. I may have an easier way to do them on the p/u headlight buckets. I have a couple ideas anyway. I'll shoot some more pics.

Guest DatsuNoob

So I've run into a dilemma with needing more sender inputs on the coolant system than I have available. I was considering using the small nipple on the upper rad hose to supply a cylinder made from some thick wall steel and a pair of weldable tank fittings to make a fan sender housing. Does anyone see a problem with this? I wasnt sure what to do about hooking up a 1/8" npt sender into the metric sized factory dash temp sender.The problem is that it's too small to tap up to 1/4 and 1/8" fits too sloppy :( any ideas on hooking up an aftermarket 1/8" sender and fan switch? I didnt wanna run it on the radiator because I want fairly accurate engine temp readings. Thanks

Guest DatsuNoob

I went to Williams and Tacoma Screw yesterday, neither one had anything. I hit 2 yards too looking for something a couple days ago, and figured I was just wasting more effort trying to find it than if I were to build it, so that's exactly what I did, imagine that :lol: Went and saw the good dudes @ Metal Supermarkets and they hooked me up with a thick wall chunk of DOM and a plate of aluminum for FREEEee :D I like free. Put a fish mouth on it, tuned it with the bench grinder and put my tank fitting on and it was pretty much good to go. I'll mount this inline with a radiator hose for a much more accurate fan switch temp than my original idea.

001-7.jpg

002-7.jpg

Looks alot better after I knocked the slag/spatter off it and reamed the edges. I'm thinking I'm gonna ask my buddy Ryan who works at a powdercoating joint to toss it in with somethin else they're doing.

Guest DatsuNoob

just bought my M12 X 1.5 to 1/8" npt adapter. Friggin 14 bing bings for one little fitting?! <_< Someone making odd size fittings is making a killing selling them to auto meter. Was pretty much my only choice since I couldnt source one locally. Atleast now I'll have a water temp signal to my gauge tho.

Guest DatsuNoob

I have the spal fan wiring kit that came with the sender and stuff. The pictured piece will hold the fan sender, the single blade sender closest to the head off the upper rad hose (stock dash temp sender) will be removed, and replaced with the autometer one and adapter for the autometer temp gauge.

Guest DatsuNoob

So I pretty much followed the ratsun how-to on ellipsoid headlights, but I took it one step further. I cut it right around 1/2" off the back of the adjuster bucket, but I made relief cuts in it to grip the BMW housing. I gotta say, it fits great! The relief cuts act like little "fingers" where the stock bends were in the ring. Nice and snug.

003-7.jpg

002-9.jpg

Story of my truck is it was a 2 owner rig. Dude before my gf's grand dad was a painter who tried his hand in automotive refinishing with exterior house paint. Shit got EVERWHERE lolz

004-6.jpg

I notched out both sides to accept projectors in case I ever decided to go with em on all 4, sanded and deburred, primed and painted. If you trace and notch them correctly, you can do a twist-lock kinda system if you want. Just make sure it's around 45 degrees or less from its intended resting postion or it wont work.

006-6.jpg

Guest DatsuNoob

I bought some o-rings down at wiliiams oil filter service to fit the trim rings and lights. I thought they'd help with vibration and/or any slop needing tightened up. Bought all new stainless hardware for the adjusters and rings too

008-5.jpg

UPS showed up right as I was getting back from the store (got tired of watching paint dry) with my new generic $30 ebay KA intake kit. I was actually pretty impressed with how complete it was vs the $175 AEM one I sent back. It came with all hoses, clamps, MAF adapter, reducers and silicone pipe couplers, filter, Everything. AEM sent a hose a pipe and a filter, and the chrome on it looked like :poop:

005-6.jpg

More fabrication madness oics to come along with ones of the completed 620/BMW light assy, still waiting for paint to dry

001-8.jpg

Guest DatsuNoob

So here's the finished HL assy

027.jpg

Had a mishap involving the buffing wheel and the 3 tabs on the trim ring, they sure do polish up nice tho :lol:

024-1.jpg

Started bundling up and running my fan wiring harness and relay

029.jpg

I started working on an ECU mount too

041.jpg

Guest DatsuNoob

Went down to Bananahamuck's for some chassis wiring/fuse box. He let me kick out a perfectly good and cracked windshield to get at what I needed. What a guy! :D :lol:

030.jpg

032.jpg

SEEK AND DESTROOOOYYY!!! I have to be a surgeon sometimes at work, but I love some good butcher action once in a while too HAHAHA

031.jpg

Gee... that makes it a whole lot easier.

033.jpg

Guest DatsuNoob

Always on the hunt for straight panels, this time a front valance, we took a drive to check on this abandoned 620 by a local school.

034.jpg

No luck there :lol: Had some weird wiring neither one of us had ever seen before

035.jpg

Then we went down to Bananahamuck's buddy who's name escapes me after 3 beers, sry. Was a cool dude, and probably one of the biggest Datsun nuts I've ever met. He showed me all kinds of roadster race car pics of his, as well as his lengthened, fully custom Ford V8 swapped 521 that was said to outhaul his full size Ford truck. Needless to say I was quite impressed to see it in person, my apologies for the shitty oics. They dont do this thing of marvel any real justice at all.

036.jpg

037.jpg