DatsuNoob's epic 620 build thread

Guest DatsuNoob

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DatsuNoob

AE86 radiator is on the way, new oil pump too, I had my main fuel supply line made friday morning. Braided steel, teflon core, turned out pretty nice.

Now just have to get a return figured out. Been buying shit like crazy trying to hurry this thing along. I'm gonna go at it hard this week.

Guest DatsuNoob

Aluminum radiator arrived today. Not too shabby for the price either I must say. It looks like it's gonna fit pretty well, I'll get some pics up after it's mounted. I'll be working on that tomorrow afternoon after I go grab my hoses, clamps, and new thermostat. I gotta go down to the great guys at William's Oil Filter Service later this week and get some more lines made, and buy another -8AN fuel pump nipple. I cant find the other one. Waiting on the new pump, cleaned the drive and bolts for it, getting it all ready. I found some other things like my oil catch, and coolant surge can, oil cooler, and a couple other things that arent a total necessity right now, but will need to find their home in the engine bay for layout purposes eventually. Right now I'm focused on getting all the basics taken care of first just to get it running.

• Like 1
Guest DatsuNoob

Some new parts came, one was a big box of fail. Note to all 620 owners: 240sx intoke pipes dont fit worth shit if using an aftermarket radiator. I'll look to send mine back, the rad stays. Here's my new Melling oil pump, about 4X the weight of an OEM pump, but whatever, like I told Skib, gotta have something to keep the wheels on the ground, right?

partspics001.jpg

Shitty picture, but here it is after I filled it with oil, new gasket, and lined up the dot and dimple, took all of like 3 minutes to do the whole thing, reinstall, and IMO well worth it.

partspics002.jpg

Went and saw the great guys down at William's Oil Filter Service co. and had a teflon core main fuel line made, got a deal on a liquid filled gauge for my FPR, picked up some fittings, etc. Rarely make it outta there for under $100 :lol: They have EVERYTHING and are a great bunch that truly know their shit. Pretty much a one stop shop.

partspics003.jpg

partspics007.jpg

Here's my 84-87 Corolla GTS (AE86) alum. radiator I bought from ebay for 95 bones

Walked through the JY one day, got some matching Toyota bracketry and nothing worked. So I took a pair of lower brackets from a late 90's Hyundai rad and they worked alot better. In my quest for the right shit, I found mid 80's and on mazda 626 and other passenger cars would work out fine too. Here it is with the Hyundai brackets. Sorry for no flip side shot yet, but both necks are on the passenger side @ 1 3/8" O.D

partspics004.jpg

Here's the start of some very simple lower radiator mounts.

partspics005.jpg

Cant seem to find an upper rad hose that fits any good yet, after several trips to the parts store. tried Frontier and 240 ones, Ford 4cyl truck stuff (dia. too big), and even went back there to see what may work, and no luck. For the lower I used a 98 Frontier that I sectioned out a few inches near the alt and put in a metal elbow with a real mild bend, I had from some random KA parts bin. Worked out real well for getting around the alternator pulley. Still gotta find an upper that works. If anyone knows what fits best, lemme know

partspics006.jpg

I'll get back in there and finish up a couple things tomorrow. Gotta get some new intake bolts and stuff from one of my other favorite shops in Lakewood off 100th. Hi-Strength Bolt is awesome for specialty hardware, awesome friendly old dude that knows his ish in there too. That's my next stop

Guest DatsuNoob

yeah, that was where I was at as far as the hoses go, I've tried almost everything. Still I know there's one out there that'll work. I may have to end up going the 'cut to fit' route and make it work until I find something else a little more pleasing to the eye. I may go down to my favorite shop William's Oil Filter, and see if they have anything, chances are they just might. Thanks Redeye

Went and saw the great guys down at William's Oil Filter Service co. and had a teflon core main fuel line made, got a deal on a liquid filled gauge for my FPR, picked up some fittings, etc. Rarely make it outta there for under $100 :lol: They have EVERYTHING and are a great bunch that truly know their shit. Pretty much a one stop shop.

haha nice i go there all the time for work there like 2 min from my warehouse. very good people when it comes to helping find thing. another good one is Timco down on port of tacoma road.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest DatsuNoob

Been gathering parts for finishing up my punch list. Here's my remote oil filter set. Was a pain in the ass since I couldnt find a close enough adapter to go from the 20mm female coupler on the sandwich plate to the 18mm threads on the stem coming outta the block. In the end I just pressed the stem into the coupler, silver soldered, and screwed everything back together. Should work fine.

007.jpg

For the other side, just made a simple little bracket and mounted everything next to the harmonic balancer for easy access and a clean oil change. I used allen head bolts for those of you who love those VW's :D (Kami i loave you loLz)

006.jpg

Guest DatsuNoob

Here's a gratuitous upskirt shot.

012.jpg

If things look to be kinda low, it's just because i havent really secured anything quite yet.

Here's how I set up my FPR. I like d the loaction and the fit, so I went with it.

008.jpg

This next piece took a while to hunt down surprisingly. Nobody local carried it in stock. On my ZX 5 spd I used a 240Z clutch fork and slave. This allows some adjustability in the fork. I imagine if someone wanted the same option, they'd just have to drill out the dimple on their fork and run this one

010.jpg

011.jpg

Was stoked to see that my fan arrived in the mail today as well.

009.jpg

I have little space to work with between my rad and water pump pulley (like 2 3/8" I think?) So I opted for the slim fitting 2" fan, 16" in diameter. Gonna fit like a rooster in a sock :lol:

Guest DatsuNoob

No I havent. Honestly I feel bad for whoever's gonna have to sort out the previous guy's handy work, comin into a 1/2 assed wiring job, I thought it would be best to leave that portion to the expert. I'm also color-blind as shit which doesnt help anything. I think I may know how it works, but I'd rather get some confirmation.

Guest DatsuNoob

No I havent. Honestly I feel bad for whoever's gonna have to sort out the previous guy's handy work, comin into a 1/2 assed wiring job, I thought it would be best to leave that portion to the expert. I'm also color-blind as shit which doesnt help anything. I think I may know how it works, but I'd rather get some confirmation.

you got the nuts backwards on the slave cylinder..

the pivot nut needs to be in the divot so that you dont wear out the arm with a regular nut.

that remote oil system is badass! i like how you put it on the other side of the block.

good eyes man,,,,,,,,,,,,, didn`t notice that either till i read your post

Guest DatsuNoob

you got the nuts backwards on the slave cylinder..

the pivot nut needs to be in the divot so that you dont wear out the arm with a regular nut.

that remote oil system is badass! i like how you put it on the other side of the block.

Thank you for your sharp eye and kind words. That's how it came outta the box, will switch things around later today and get the hardware woked out. Getting a little closer, but still gotta get that line made

Thank you for your sharp eye and kind words. That's how it came outta the box, will switch things around later today and get the hardware woked out. Getting a little closer, but still gotta get that line made

yeah no problem man.

yeah i think that slave cylinder was supposed to be used where the threaded shaft pops through the arm. and then its supposed to have a spring that goes from that little nub on the slave to the arm to hold the arm in place on the pivot divot