engine bay clean out

datson4life

ii got the distributor the 200sx use, but the electronic box side seems too close to the exhaust, can i flip the dist? or rotate it?

yea002_zps55c00d0e.jpg

You can rotate it, but you have to re-position the dist. drive, and that means you have to drop the oil pump to do that.

Just make a heat shield, unless you know how to re-clock the dist. drive shaft.

• Replies 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

next years goal: to prove ppl wrong on l series engines

gonna build this l18 and see what it can do

still gathering ideas, looking for 8k+ revving

buddy jesse eats and sleeps on ideas that are gonna help

longer rods, flattop pistons, balanced crank, bigger valves, good cam etc

looking to build  the l18 block with a87 peanut head

l18build001_zps3895ad07.jpg

• Like 1

No you dont have to drop the oil pump.

IF you really worried about the box getting hot( I know I said that in my vid but seen them both ways)Try heat tape to wrap it up.

You can pull the whole dist with the mount rotate it 180 on front cover. the rotor will still lock down in the same spot however your cap rotated 180. so youll have to move the spark plug wires. so where 4 was youll make that # 1 then go 1 3 4 2 ccw fire order.

If your mentally slow put on TDC first then rotate the dizzy w mount. key is if you run a water line that could hit the vac adv. so it still might not work to get the adjustment you want.

There were 2 type of matchboxes just to remind you. slightly clocked differently.

• Like 1

whos troy ermish?

He's in Tracy foo, just down the road from both of us.

The heat shield is easy. Find a piece of aluminum that's wide and long enough to block most the heat between the mani and the dist. Make a little tab on the bottom to mount it (find best method and bend, bolt or weld as necessary) and mount it between the dist and the mani centered between the two vertically. The principle is easy. Your concerned with radiant heat issue. Aluminum absorbs heat. By installing this particular type of heat shield, the aluminum will actually absorb the heat and direct it away from the dist via conductivity to the fastening point. BUT it also acts as an air gap. The gap between your shield and the mani will have hotter air than the gap between the shield and the dist. Basic physics.

He's in Tracy foo, just down the road from both of us.

The heat shield is easy. Find a piece of aluminum that's wide and long enough to block most the heat between the mani and the dist. Make a little tab on the bottom to mount it (find best method and bend, bolt or weld as necessary) and mount it between the dist and the mani centered between the two vertically. The principle is easy. Your concerned with radiant heat issue. Aluminum absorbs heat. By installing this particular type of heat shield, the aluminum will actually absorb the heat and direct it away from the dist via conductivity to the fastening point. BUT it also acts as an air gap. The gap between your shield and the mani will have hotter air than the gap between the shield and the dist. Basic physics.

that stuff on the link is neat, i might end up just re positioning it tho, tomorrow im gonna rewire a few things and hopefully get my charging system running good

it use to be a daily driver until i tried to make everything better

gotta make it to graffity nights hopefully

thanks for the advice bro

• 2 weeks later...