What I'm working with!

uberkevin

36 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Oh, and too late now, but upholstery shears can be bought on Amazon for $20 and make the job go very quickly. Just giant scissors, but that helps make nice straight cuts.

I happened to find a good pair of fabric shears in my garage. These definitely help. 

I think for the next two pieces I'll end up using a sewing machine to sew the edges together. I'll fold the edge over, sew and cut where I need. I've never used a sewing machine so I'll be learning another new skill, hope that go's well. I hear it's not to hard just setting up the machine can be a little tricky. 

The next two pieces I'll be measuring to try to make the pattern I'd like. Basically like a mat. 

Well see. If it suck it sucks. 🤷 

Edited by uberkevin
  • Like 1
  • Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice...this is what mine looked like although I bought my kit.  It was actually 5 pieces IIRC...one for the tunnel two for each wheel well, then two for each of the areas under the bench.  I may be wrong but I know @mainer311 bought the same one and so did @Greaser2 and maybe some other dudes.   

34616182865_f99222a9f4_c.jpg

34574551416_623f8459dc_c.jpg

datto-carpet-04

25 minutes ago, d.p said:

Ah shit and 2 floor mats..anyways just trying to give you an idea on the best way to cut and install it. 

Must have cost a pretty penny I'd guess. 

Looks great tho. And that last photo helps gives me good understanding of how to make it work. 5 pieces seems like alot tho. 

200$ isn't bad. What site is it from? 

I'm pushing my self to learn more shit and spend less money. 

My wife an I should be buying a house here in a few months if everything goes well. Everything is looking good but you never know. There isn't a chance of getting out bid or any thing like that just ya never know. 2 car garage! 

I'm sure I'll let the forum know more if everything goes the way it should. 

So! I'm trying not to spend money here and there and everywhere. 

• Like 1

I’m planning on doing exactly what you’re doing @uberkevin with the photo in this listing (and the floor) as a template. May be the kit in question:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166038049615?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=vyjqs2oxrhw&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=_oz8V3XhQTi&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I eagerly spy on your progress until then.

• Like 1
On 3/28/2023 at 4:14 PM, uberkevin said:

How much longer is the 620 4 speed transmission compared to the 521 4speed?? 

The '73 620 4 speed is the same length as the 521. Twenty-six inches.

The '74-'79 620 4 or 5 speed transmission is 31.5" long or 5.5" longer.

23 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

The '73 620 4 speed is the same length as the 521. Twenty-six inches.

The '74-'79 620 4 or 5 speed transmission is 31.5" long or 5.5" longer.

I believe i have a '74 620 l20b and 4 speed. 

This is what was told to me at least. 

I think this is true because they had to shorten the drive lane. And add the proper input shaft of the driveline. 

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

You can still use the 521 drive shaft spline, just seal and plug the hole where the nut was ...

Oh yeah I remember having to do that. 

I did forget that the p.o did have to make a transmission mount... not the best I must say. But he made shit work. 

5 minutes ago, Slow Loris said:

Man that’s looking so good! How’d you do that transition on the edges from the tunnel section to the floor section? Folded, steamed, and glued down? 

You got it. That little steamer I have works great! It's like an iron steamer. 

But yeah I folded the edge in the shape I want as it tapers to the front, ironed it to hold. No glue yet the fold holds really well once you iron it. 

I put the metal trim on the bottom of the door frame to hold the carpet where I wanted then ironed/steamed to shape it. 

Still working on it. Drivers side is partially taped down. But is the shape I want it to be in. The wheel-well hump I'm still working on, it's a little tricky. 

Passenger side is drying from the glue i used to hold the folded seam down against the transmission tunnel. 

I put a bag of sand against it to give it some pressure. It's going better then I thought it would go honestly. 

I'd say to anyone thinking about doing this yourself, go for it! Take your time.. you will mess up on something or another but that's okay just keep at it. 

With the cab being closer and closer to being done I need to think about what i want to do with the l20b I pulled, you know I while I have it out. 

Definitely needs a good cleaning and some gaskets. 

• Like 1