What I'm working with!

uberkevin

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Been around, just be working and saving. Lots of life happening around here, chickens, garden, new to me 1st gen 4runner was gifted to me from my wifes uncle. It been in the family since 89 or so. Bought a new Subaru Crosstrek 2021, about 7 grand left on that. Still living with the in laws so that's... nice.. its not bad.. Still at costco.  Just been living life. 

Still have the 521. Been sitting there. Think I stopped driving it 2 years ago after a few belts got torn to bits. A few to many small problems while driving made me park her. Pulls a ton to the left. Drive side wheel Still pokes out an inch more the the passenger.. 

Torsion rods I found never had the C clips holding them in.. that's scary.  Don't think they were ever put in right to begin with, I do know they weren't in for years.. before I bought the truck... years ago.  

So I've been slowly taking everything apart and slowly really slowly doing small things to her.. 

50 year old truck needs more love. 

I still don't have a shop or garage to do much work in so really only do things in the summer weather.. 

I miss driving it so much tho! 

Ka24de still in there.. need new 521 rubber mounts.. idk where I'll get them.. I'm going to be adding a fpr in the future. Need to make sure the tps is in spec, need to make sure I have a working maf.. cold air intake had some leaks that I had to take care of.. 

Problem I haven't found a solution to is a new throttle cable. 

I made one myslef.. but I suck!!. and I kept having fix and adjust all the time! 

Ya know heavy footed Kevin... 

I've been leaning to slow down everything I do.

Been listening to alot of books to help my mind. 

Real books. Not Harry Potter. 

Screenshot_20220430-130238.thumb.jpg.4d88069b9f70af5d417ad98ee4980b44.jpgScreenshot_20220430-130247.thumb.jpg.75a21a6b09dddcf42e7aaa5e7cc8fcd8.jpg7793695_Screenshot_20220430-130309_GooglePlayBooks.thumb.jpg.ffb235ecfc0e27fbcc66045a4ed3c65b.jpg

Also! Been debating a frame swap.. 

Haven't gathered all the info needed 

Been meaning to look into that. 

720 frame is the easiest way to go if I'm not mistaken just need to dig a little deeper into what needs to be done. 

Wayno where ya at!? Haha 😄 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Got another..  a little cleaner. 

70' 

A few oddball things done. 

Picked it up from Spokane but I guess it was a Montana truck. 

L20b, was told it was out of a 75' 

Still has single points. 

Looks like stock carb, so stock crap  exhaust manifold that the carb sits on top of. 

Base of carb is definitely leaking. 

P.o told me it was having some type of fuel problem and was running bit rough. And it was. 

I picked this up running, started in 25° snowy weather with just a few pumps, drove it on and off the trailer four separate times along with about two blocks of driving. 

Parked it.

Ran a few errands came back.. no start. Turns over strong however.. 

Spark plugs were pretty dirty.. after cleaning still no spark.. that I seen.. 

Think my M.m to coil was reading almost 5 volts. Not sure what's up yet. Haven't touched it much yet. 

Put to Tdc and pulled the dizzy. Got a pertronix on the way.. mostly because I don't wanna deal with points at all.. 

Thought I'd share the new to me Datsun. I might start another page I'm not sure yet. 

I guess the only question I have is do I wire the pertronix two wires to the coil directly or to the coil resistor.

I'll post more photos in the sunlight. 

Been working a ton.. ya know Costco.. it's the season.. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, ]2eDeYe said:

Wow, very nice truck. Good to see you with another one. 

I think the petronix does away with the resistor, but I would check that to be sure. 

The little amount I looked into it so far I think I keep it. But like you said I'll check that better to be sure. 

It's alot nicer then my other one. 😆 

But it has its flaws forsure. Pretty rust free but the rust it has is in odd spots. 

The l20b was installed uhh... very different and something I've never seen. 

Definitely not a stock 521 4speed. Custom transmission mount. 

Exhaust ran kinda odd. 

Little things I'll be getting pictures of.

• Like 1

I imagine if it was a dogleg 5 speed you would have said so. That leaves a 71B which would need a modified 521 mount.

The '75-'77 car and truck L20Bs were the terrible co-joined intake/exhaust manifold. Maybe it has car or 620 mounts that were on it. 

Geeez... pictures!!!