uberkevin

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, uberkevin said:

Not bad at 125$ no bit shipping the transmission stuff might be a little spendy. 

Would be nice. 

Just the front case with no guts isn't too bad on weight... it's just aluminum.... I have a front case I can get a weight and box measurements if you like, to give you an idea on shipping...  it's not the L pattern, I did the bellhousing swap,  this is the one I removed....

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Just the front case with no guts isn't too bad on weight... it's just aluminum.... I have a front case I can get a weight and box measurements if you like, to give you an idea on shipping...  it's not the L pattern, I did the bellhousing swap,  this is the one I removed....

True just the front case wouldn't be to bad. 

No need for getting the weight. 

Haven't seen a ka 5 for a while.

Not that I've been looking but still. 

19 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

This is awesome!  Also fun

A bit much forsure. 

Idk if that transmission would fit in the transmission tunnel in the 521.

Well. It could be made to fit.. but I don't wanna do that. 

Hope to get a 720 5peed and swap a old L transmissions front case I have onto it. 

Again. 

This l20b in this truck although I didn't drive it much, was eating a ton of gas. 

The valves are the nastiest I've seen. Almost looks wet caked on black carbon build up. 

Smell gas in oil. 

Imagine. 

Paint stripper looking black carbon. 

Can't tell but. 

IMG_20221123_200223_067.thumb.jpg.874ebcae22aa51277425c6e4d00c738c.jpg

IMG_20221123_200110_877.thumb.jpg.4c96c2812ae98e47e9bb6294022951d6.jpg

I didn't spray anything it was like that when I took the manifold off around all 4 intake holes just kinda wet with gas. 

Kinda sketchy. 

56 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

That mod has been done before... 

But that's not a bad price for the neccessary machining... 

I wanted the L case done for the larger 62mm counter bearing. No one near me would even look at it. Pussies.

3 hours ago, uberkevin said:

If there are two 720 5 speeds near me I'll grab it for you if you really want. 

I'll keep you posted. 

I'm going back to the yard when I can to also look into what transmission this 74 710 wagon has. 

But also!! 

Have you seen this? 

https://www.godzillaraceworks.com/drivetrainfs5w71c/l-series-bellhousing-for-240sx-5-speed-swap

That's cool but I don't have a 5-speed 🙂

31 minutes ago, uberkevin said:

True just the front case wouldn't be to bad. 

No need for getting the weight. 

Haven't seen a ka 5 for a while.

Not that I've been looking but still. 

Idk if that transmission would fit in the transmission tunnel in the 521.

The 71C was used on more than the KA engines. There are a lot out there that just need an L series front case.

The '84-'86 300zx non turbo

The '87-'89 Z24 and '90 and on 2wd KA-E and DE in the D21 and the 2000 and on Xterra

The '86-'88 S12 200sx

The 71B will fit the 521, many have done it.

Probably a real oil burner with lots of blue smoke blow by. Goes out the valve cover hose and right down the carburetor. Take a look at the insides of the carburetor.... bet it looks just as dirty.

11 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The 71C was used on more than the KA engines. There are a lot out there that just need an L series front case.

The '84-'86 300zx non turbo

The '87-'89 Z24 and '90 and on 2wd KA-E and DE in the D21 and the 2000 and on Xterra

The '86-'88 S12 200sx

The 71B will fit the 521, many have done it.

Probably a real oil burner with lots of blue smoke blow by. Goes out the valve cover hose and right down the carburetor. Take a look at the insides of the carburetor.... bet it looks just as dirty.

The sort time I drove it she definitely was blowing  lots smoke.. I didn't think anything of it because it was 25 degrees outside. 

Yo Mike there's a 79 280sx I believe right across from this 710 wagon I was talking about. What trans does that have? 

That would be the 71B 4 or 5 speed or a 3N71B automatic. The 5 speed was still an option in '79 but standard equipment in '80. It would be a Mid range and I had one. 

If it still has the struts GRAB THEM!!!!!!!! They have huge calipers and vented rotors and are shorter to begin with if lowering. Someone will buy them for their Datsun car...

JSWD92k.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, datzenmike said:

That would be the 71B 4 or 5 speed or a 3N71B automatic. The 5 speed was still an option in '79 but standard equipment in '80. It would be a Mid range and I had one. 

If it still has the struts GRAB THEM!!!!!!!! They have huge calipers and vented rotors and are shorter to begin with if lowering. Someone will buy them for their Datsun car...

JSWD92k.jpg

I believe they are there. I'll see what type of price they're asking.  

What's under the padding on a 521 dash? Is it a full length metal plate? If so, chip off all the old foam and make your own foam pad. I think doing this would be a lot less hassle then trying to repair all the cracks, and a lot less prone to failure when done. Repairing cracks can lead to them opening back up. If you're going to have the dash covered with upholstery, the cracks can be seen under the fabric.

I wonder if basic spray foam would be good enough. Or would a softer upholstery foam be better?

This website has a lot of different types of upholstery foam - https://www.yourautotrim.com/foscplch.html

On 2/24/2013 at 3:46 PM, uberkevin said:

So i've been doing a little work on MasterChief not as much as id like but still

Here's a dashboard if been working on for a week or so, now that i don't have a job

I don't mind sanding a shit ton. The filler im using is just a padded dash filler i got off line.

sanding...sanding.. sanding. http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f126/love2scream/DSC_0041_zpsa0efbc67.jpg

Under it as you can see is my tailgate that i'm also sanding down. I want to get all the ugly little dings in it out and get it looking great again.

heres the tailgate now.http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f126/love2scream/DSC_0047_zps9ff8044e.jpg

Also got a powder coating gun from eastwood.com. I was pretty stoked to finally power coat something so I picked

and old heater cover i had. Its baking as i type so you'll see how the first coat is. here a tease... http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f126/love2scream/DSC_0049_zps95619e6f.jpg

Didn't work like I wanted. 

I'll be doing the same thing to the dash as I did to my other one. 

Picture on first page. 

Sued top. 

Did the same for Flatcat as well. 

Dash pad filler. Or basically bondo.. 

Sand sand sand. 

Edited by uberkevin
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

What's under the padding on a 521 dash? Is it a full length metal plate? If so, chip off all the old foam and make your own foam pad. I think doing this would be a lot less hassle then trying to repair all the cracks, and a lot less prone to failure when done. Repairing cracks can lead to them opening back up. If you're going to have the dash covered with upholstery, the cracks can be seen under the fabric.

I wonder if basic spray foam would be good enough. Or would a softer upholstery foam be better?

This website has a lot of different types of upholstery foam - https://www.yourautotrim.com/foscplch.html

Thanks for the advice tho. 

I was thinking about maybe using some spray foam in the cracks, cut them down fill in with a little bondo type filler again 🤔 

Idk yet. 

• Like 1
On 11/23/2022 at 4:49 PM, uberkevin said:

If there are two 720 5 speeds near me I'll grab it for you if you really want. 

I'll keep you posted. 

I'm going back to the yard when I can to also look into what transmission this 74 710 wagon has. 

But also!! 

Have you seen this? 

https://www.godzillaraceworks.com/drivetrainfs5w71c/l-series-bellhousing-for-240sx-5-speed-swap

I am now in the market for 2 transmissions... Just destroyed the one you sold me years ago playing in the snow yesterday 🙂 

Dash is looking sweet. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
17 hours ago, uberkevin said:

Thanks for the advice tho. 

I was thinking about maybe using some spray foam in the cracks, cut them down fill in with a little bondo type filler again 🤔 

Idk yet.

Expansion rate. It needs to expand at the same rate as the original material. I think regular Bondo would be too inflexible.