uberkevin

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks man! 

The carpet I got from home depot, it isn't backed with anything but i figure with the stuff I put on the floor it wouldn't be to bad. We'll see over time on that. 

It was definitely some work but in the end it came out better then expected. I'm happy with it. Now gotta wrap it all up and finish the driver side. 

1 minute ago, thisismatt said:

Looks good, but what's with the rear floor mat?

The floor mat I had laying around.l from my crosstrek, not sure if I'll keep it there or not. Doesn't look to bad there and fits kinda well. I was using it to put my elbow on when I was putting in the parcel tray or whatever the under dash tray is called. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just make sure that the timing cover in not in danger of being nearly worn through. Behind that is water entry to the oil pan. With that newer pump you should be ok. If concerned, every now and then grab the fan blades and try to wiggle the pump shaft.

• Thanks 1

I'll keep an eye in it. 

On another note there's a 86 hardbody in a local yard near me with z24 5 speed. Yard wants 250 plus core for the 5speed. I'm unsure of transmission, like if it's in working order kinda wanna buy it to put an l front case on it but with no info on tranny it makes it hard to wanna buy it. 

What do? 

'86 D21 Hardbody Z24 transmission is an FS5W71C and though the L front case can be swapped, it needs to be machined.

If it is an '80 it would be an L20B unless an '81-'82 Z22 engine and transmission was swapped in. The Z22 5 speed would be an FS5W71B and the front case will swap easily.

• Like 1

So, I bought a decent water pump with a cast impeller when I was building my L20b, and for whatever reason, even with the gasket in place, the impeller was rubbing that section of the timing cover as well. I actually had to lightly grind the impeller blades to add some clearance. 

My thought is that maybe someone installed your pump a while ago and said “fuck it” and the blades clearanced themselves.

15 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

'86 D21 Hardbody Z24 transmission is an FS5W71C and though the L front case can be swapped, it needs to be machined.

If it is an '80 it would be an L20B unless an '81-'82 Z22 engine and transmission was swapped in. The Z22 5 speed would be an FS5W71B and the front case will swap easily.

Definitely a z22 block, I couldn't see a number on the transmission. But I do believe it was an 80 720. So someone must have swapped in the z22 you say? 

Looks like this is the one I should probably grab then. It doesn't have a shifter so I wasn't able to see if it goes in every gear and spins freely. 

Also I need to pull it myself... it's like 100°

You think 250 plus a core is worth it for an unknown condition 5speed? 

You can shift into the gears with a screwdriver or wooden dowel.

L and Z series transmissions have different 'bell housing' bolt patterns.

$250? Get a 30 day return option in writing in case it's crap. They should be ok with this. $250 is ok for a reasonably good 5 speed.