My new project a $100 "71" 510

Hello everyone I'm new here on Ratsun I've been a nissan nut forever and always liked the datsuns and now I picked one up for $100.

My daily now is a 95 240sx SE and a 78 Dodge d100 4x4 with a 440 I hope to get the 510 on the road straight body or not it will be my family car sum day.

The guy I bought this from rolled it on its top then parked it in his back yard for 15 years till I came along.

Its a 71 with a L18 with a A87 head and a 4spd front and rear swaybars original owners manual jack and wheel chalks.

It also has the factory tach , cubby on the heater trunk rubber mat and so on.

I've picked picked up all new brakes I'm going S13 all fours with new 1" willwood master and goodridge lines, new master, braided line, and slave for the clutch and a 5spd cross member I want to do a KA24DE sometime.

The body HRH hooked me up on a front door, headlight bezels,and sum other little parts Thanks Matt :thumbup: .

The interior I've picked up 95 maxima seats front and rear the rear needs to be altered to fit.

As far as the 510 goes I know I have me work cut out for me but I'm totally hooked It might look like :poop: now but I love the challenge

2012-04-27162119.jpg

2012-04-27162138-1.jpg

2012-04-29114545.jpg

2012-04-29114517.jpg

2012-04-29114725.jpg

2012-04-27162159.jpg

1054.jpg

1045.jpg

1047.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, your $100 '71 looks waay better than my $75 '72 4-door I thought I got such a great deal on. Mine was hit hard in the front passenger's door and fender. Ask Matt about mine; he has seen it. I hope you realize you must have the car drivable a year from now so you can take it to Canby. Matt will be sure to keep the pressure on you!

Did you see the 2 Spokane craigslist 510 ads? One gives Hayden for location, so not too far from you.

What's the "...rolled it on its top..." story? From your pics, I can't see any damage. Did it tip it over in snow?

I hope you get it running soonest, even if you plan to do a swap. I've brought all 3 of my cars back from the dead, and bad gas/dried out gas is 98% of the problem. The gas tank should have a drain plug. Get all the old gas out. On my 510, I unhooked the metal line from the tank and fuel pump. Shot spray carb cleaner in the line from both ends, then blew out with compressed air. Repeat a couple of times.Your carb probably needs a kit too.

Oh, and welcome to the Best Datsun Forum!

Len

• Like 1

one little crack on the passenger side of the dash :crying: all the glass is good for been on its top. I got it to fart the other day needs a carb n the gas tank cleaned. I gave it all new tune up parts and starter.

Anyone else around Sandpoint bonners or CD'A ID?

I would make a garage for that S14 first and keep it out of the sun. Thats going to be a keeper In the long run. best to keep that straight as all possible.

The 510 I would cut the rusted bat tray out and mount battery in trunk. Lower it get some rubbing compund out and clean up the paint and just roll it as a cheap daily driver/ mZod it as you go. Over time you can get soem better parts.

If HRH is in nearby Spokane I bet he could get this rolling pretty fast or fin out whats wront in a day or so.

• 2 months later...

Hi all at Ratsun slowly been working on the 510 this weekend I want to drop all the suspension and clean it up.

Still looking for a passenger (Right) finder and a Subaru CLSD I went junk yard hopping two weeks ago checked about 25 sube's no luck :poke: :sneaky:

2012-09-09191903.jpg

Striped most of the interior out and been working on the wiring all works except the wipers and low beams.

2012-09-09130709.jpg

2012-09-09130641.jpg

2012-09-09130601.jpg

Wow, killer deal for $100!! :thumbup: I used dry ice to break up the tar paper insulation on the floors, and of course found much more rust underneath. If you use dry ice, handle that stuff carefully! Boy, that had a full repaint at one point from that baby barf yellow to the blue, even the engine compartment! Good luck with the project!

My understanding is that the LSD's were only in the 86-89 Subaru "Full Lock 4WD" optioned cars. I have never seen a car that was marked only as "4WD", with an LSD. Those "Full Lock" transmissions are worth a few bucks to the Subaru guys, so if you can get the matching trans cheap, turn it & make a few bucks! These LSD's are getting very hard to find these days!

• 10 months later...

So I pulled the reared out and tore it down I'm getting it ready for new wheel barings and 240sx brakes. As for the front I need more info on 240sx brake fabing or whole strut setup? As far as running I cleaned the carb and the tank and lines need to be cleaned to run. Dam I want to drive it!