93 Eclipse gs Widebody

I see, no offense taken then. IMO though, age has little to do with what you do to your car, its more the influences around you. I started reading hot rod and road & track when I was 12 or 13, that stuff is usually suspension and engine heavy, but almost no body modifications, except for old rally cars. however my good friend jesse was introduced to craptastic drifting using honda's and subwoofers (damn I hate those things), so he likes subwoofers, the look of drifting and the riced out honda look. I used to hang around with my older brother and his friends when I was younger all the time. My brother and his bestfriend had there rx's and corner carved, they did some sliding around but it wasn't really for looks, usually they were trying to keep up with me and my dad in my eclipse going around a corner. My dad says that when you modify your car it should look like the car was meant to be like that to begin with. I like cars that look like they've been built not slapped together, I don't like car with gay ass body kits or subwoofers that make my head ring for hours.

p.s. this really isn't a response, just something I felt like getting out there.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this was basically the inspiration for this build, my dad's old camaro that he built in the 80's. It had air ride suspension which he made himself before air ride was doing it, He started with iroc fender flares and a front air dam, then he didn't like how it all looked added so he made the flare's bigger and more functional, he removed the front bumper and had a hug open grille which he made himself, he made the rear louvers himself and wasn't happy with the welder that put them on because they were angeled wrong when they got welded on. all the fenders were hand formed and the whale tail spoiler is the only thing he didn't make. The hood is basically a cowl induction hood with a z28 scoop, but he used the natural body lines of the car when making the cowl so it doesn't look added so much. I've never asked about the motor but I'm guessing it was a 350 with nitrous, he told me he had a 150 shot. Sorry about the quality of photo's

51d7c5ad.jpg

e7e56e1c.jpg321611_103415869770723_1661419220_n.jpg303781_103415233104120_1904696500_n.jpg

Why, why would somebody do that to a perfectly good Camaro?

personally I think it looks better, It was a 75 RS LT when he started. He says the car actually handled better after all the body work was done and stuck to the ground pretty good. the only camaro's he liked stock were the 78-81's. what looks bad about it? only thing I don't like is how small the whale tail is.

^ oh yeah, well right now I can point out 3 things the factory did wrong on these dsm's. the front passenger side tire is an inch further forward then the drivers side (cause of how the axles for the tranny are set), the rear passenger axle is an inch further out(for god knows what reason), and the angle for the doors is different.

^ oh yeah, well right now I can point out 3 things the factory did wrong on these dsm's. the front passenger side tire is an inch further forward then the drivers side (cause of how the axles for the tranny are set), the rear passenger axle is an inch further out(for god knows what reason), and the angle for the doors is different.

This is easily explained by an accident.

I like tires to fit the car not the other way round but it's ok. Usually the factory gets it right.

I think there's a whole forum full of cars here that say different.   :rofl:

I'm referring to the body design including the wheel discs or in some cases the factory mags. People may tinker with the ride height and they may run taller or wider tires but generally the body only looks right when in it's stock shape. Rims are a personal choice like jewelry and most times, in bad taste. By this I mean they no longer complement the rest of the car and are a statement that says I like big and shiny things. I don't care for spoilers, hood scoops and certainly not box flairs as they alter the design so much the car ceases to be a 510 or anything else. Call me a purist then as I see any car as it was, and should still be. I don't mind crazy colors but keep the body under it stock. To each his own.

This is easily explained by an accident.

thats actually what I thought at first, but I've looked at 2 of my other fwd eclipse's, and both the rear axle's are off to the side, the front wheels are off a bit, and the doors are also at different angles as well. Usually that stuff can be pretty hard to notice unless your working on the body or suspension. I don't think I ever mentioned this but the back of my car where the spare tire goes has a pretty good size stress crack that I've had partially fixed by my brother. no idea what caused that, but I originally thought that was why the rear suspension was like that. I agree with the to each his own thing though, there are some cars I can really agree with you on when it comes to keeping things as they are, My rx7 being one.

what looks bad about it? only thing I don't like is how small the whale tail is.

i personally cant find anything i like about it honestly the original car had nice lines now it doesnt  the back louvers and spoiler are hideous the flares seem out of place and the giant opening in the front of the car looks like theres something missing the car i highly doubt all that extra weight improved much of anything but to each there own in my opinion it and this eclipse just look bad but thats my opinion and if thats what you want to do to your car more power to you 

thats actually what I thought at first, but I've looked at 2 of my other fwd eclipse's, and both the rear axle's are off to the side, the front wheels are off a bit, and the doors are also at different angles as well. Usually that stuff can be pretty hard to notice unless your working on the body or suspension. I don't think I ever mentioned this but the back of my car where the spare tire goes has a pretty good size stress crack that I've had partially fixed by my brother. no idea what caused that, but I originally thought that was why the rear suspension was like that. I agree with the to each his own thing though, there are some cars I can really agree with you on when it comes to keeping things as they are, My rx7 being one.

It's not like DSMs are real Mitsubishis anyway lol, nor to be considered an import when they are domestically built specifically for the North American market. 1st gen DSMs are based off the 6th Gen Galant chassis and 2nd gen DSMs are based off the dodge avenger chassis :rofl: .

When a 6ft Red Kangaroo wants to take you... you say ok.

Edit: So Im not completely given a bunch of shit, here is who took the picture for us... this would be my St. Patricks date for the evening:

25105_10150164527660191_1121308_n.jpg

Aussie guys are fun  :thumbup:

you guys make a good couple

its actually true about the rear axle and stuff. i had a buddy that was big into the turbo awd one(the ones semi worth building) and he always bitched about this.

..... and it's not a Datsun.

that is the only point that needs to be made

any one else thinking his dad should have just bought a 911 Porsche from that era??????

Porshe didn't have anywhere near as many tricks as that car had, I do think there was some inspiration to aan extent, but probably would of got raped repeadly by the camaro.

Man that is a lot of foam.

I envy your devotion and hard work. And I respect the fact that you've continued to share your diehard 16yo ricer project while enduring several pages of being berated by the biggest assholes on Ratsun. 

I hope to one day see pictures of this car complete and drive-able. 

But if you decide one day to light it on fire, that would be cool too.

• Like 2

completely off with the term ricer. but anyway thats not all foam, what you see with the foam in earlier picture's is as far as it goes, the twaron comes onto the body about 2 inches further everywhere, and onto the rear bumper, I'm smoothing out all the body line's .

A form>function Eclipse is rice as fuck in my book. But keep up the good work!

well ricers add stuff to there car all for the purpose of making it "look" fast, my flare's were added so the wheels would fit properly with out rubbing. I'd like to consider it a 50/50 mix of form and function but everyone's entitled to there opinion I suppose.