93 Eclipse gs Widebody

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I shouldn't of said road racer but to me that seems like the style of car this is, or I suppose saying its a bozo car might make more sense. I want the car to handle well, be comfortable, weight as little as I can make with all the comfort I need, and have a fairly built motor, im not sure if that means race car to you or not.

good pooint, except for the fact that I kinda fucking said burnt down honda's, you know, the cars that are so fucking destroyed and ripped apart that no body panels left are usable, but no your right, vandalizing shit thats screwed to hell and gonna get crushed and recycled will completely piss people off, that place ripped me off $150 on a set of slashed tires that were supposed to be good, wouldn't refund my money or anything, the least I can do is tear up one of there useless cars. I can't tell if that was supposed to make me look stupid or just piss me off.

Some one got an A in French

difference between me and a ricer is, I'm not going to autozone for useless scoops and I'm not a total douchebag. yeah, real easy to point out crappy body work when the car isn't even finished yet, that like saying you suck at rust repair becuase you just bought a car with rusted out floors, the car isn't finished, god damn. hwy does everyone seem to hate wide-bodies? if I were doing this to anything but a 1g eclipse I'm might understand where you guys are coming from, if the car weren't fwd would that make a difference to any of you?

dude, ricer is a way of life, cant be bought off the shelf at Autozone or any other parts store. Its the pointless modification of a vehicle. wether it seemed like a great idea at first or youre just that dumb, its what you do to your car.

as far as your other statements, i dont have a problem with wide bodies nor fwd cars, when done right you can have a great car...i admire your heart kid, i really do...i remember i had a honda crx that i was going to do a body kit and altezza tail lights and all that "ricer" shit that it didnt need, but i wrecked it, because i was a kid, kids fuck their shit up, make bad choices, and pay for it. you will eventually grow out of it...maybe...ive seen 30yo guys rockin F&F hondas...kinda sad...stock heighth, big chrome wheels, body kit, WIDEBODY, hondas...its sick. not in the "thats friggin sick dawg" context either.

i would not have used the foam personally, i would have made moulds and used fiberglass or something of the sort.

good luck with the rest of this build, when you decide to drop a stick of c4 in the tank hmu. i wanna see the vid

With age comes wisdom lol

And don't think we're bashing on you, your an intelligent kid. You have ideas. I had ideas. Things change and so does your perception. I hope you 1. Stick to the build or prove us all wrong or 2. Like s30 kid said put dynamite in and post a vid! I kid I Kidd :rofl:

Good luck!

Hld the fuck up, your saying the fender flares hood and spoiler were all pointless? How the fuck are they? Those weren't just added to make it look cool ass.

From a performance standpoint, yes, they are pointless. Every time you insist that adding a shitload more frontal area and weight to an NA 2.0L in 6000ft DA with the idea that it'll do anything but make the car slower and heavier, you sound just about as ridiculous as mister 7.5 inch pistons.

You're dedicated to the build & making it happen, and I applaud and respect that - but the only way you're going to get any respect for that widebody work is if you quit insisting that it's doing anything good for performance. 

Still don't understand where this idea that the front end has gotten a million times heavier is coming from, you keep insisting the front end is heavy and is basically a wall, im just not seeing it. Your saying a wall of air hitting my tires is better then having it roll off a rounded edge? The wheels and tires are bigger so the car would of been slower to begin with, I honestly doubt there as much weight gain as your saying, right now i know more about my car then you do, how much weight do you think i've actually added? With a stock motor of course the car isnt gonna be getting much faster, however wider stickier tires should keep it planted in the corners better, especially in comparison to the bald eagle gt's i had, and even then the car handled pretty well. The tires are 255/45/17 size wise, the best handling tires I ever had on it were a set of bfgoodrich radial t/a's and the were 195/45/14's i believe, though i haven't looked at them recently so i may be a little off. The tires are 9 1/2 in wide all the way around right now. The tires stuck out 2 or 3 in from the wheel wells before the flares, it may of be less or more, ill try to check and find out. Again im gonnaon have both my stock gs weighed and the widebody weighed, once ive done that then you can say i told you so, but until then you havent proved anything.

Its a aerodynamically heavier..

It takes roughly 5hp to push a license plate sized object at 70mph.

You added more surface area which creates fore drag..

My 510 for example, its a brick. At 60mph I cam let off the gas and slow down to 45 within 3 seconds without touching the brakes lol.

Also if you will be running larger wheels with larger tires and or spacers that is all unsprung (worst kind) of weight. 
This is all not even counting all that extra surface area body work which I guarantee is heavier then stock sheet metal. 

Not "trolling" but you asked so...

These novel things like aerodynamics, mass, physics etc... arent peoples opinions it's tried and true science. 
Unless you plan to spend thousands on wind tunnels and testing your never going to be able to prove anyone wrong either. It's more like your own opinion and guess work vs science and a whole lot of other more knowledgeable peoples experience. Your right, there is nothing to argue. 

W/E though less aero and heavier, not the 1st time a builds done it. Won't be the last time either...  Keep on keepin on I guess.

Its a aerodynamically heavier.. It takes roughly 5hp to push a license plate sized object at 70mph. You added more surface area which creates fore drag.. My 510 for example, its a brick. At 60mph I cam let off the gas and slow down to 45 within 3 seconds without touching the brakes lol.

I found a calculator for air resistance vs, hp needed. Unfortunately you need to know the co-efficient of drag for a licence plate. A Corvette is like .25 with .30 being pretty good... some cars are bricks with .45 or so. None are flat on the front leading edge but some what rounded which affects the answer. I dialed in 70 MPH and one square foot and a co-efficient of 1.0 and it was a few hp, but not 5.  

As to the added expanded insulating foam and fiberglass I don't see it adding that much weight. Less than a stereo system. The hood may actually be lighter if not too thick. Aerodynamic wise... who knows what balloon fender flairs and hood bumps will do to the co-efficient of drag? I don't see that whale tail being needed unless going over 120, maybe not even at all. Yes, I guess it will push down but does the eclipse have a history of a light and unstable rear end at high speeds? The down push isn't free and is a trade off. Top speed and power is sacrificed for downward push (drag) for needed stability. The good thing is that around town you could have a barn door on the back and wind resistance isn't enough to really matter. On the highway it would be a liability. It takes 4 times as much power to go 80 mph as it does at 40 mph. Four times! not twice as much. If you don't need it why have it? Put the battery in the trunk.

• Like 1

I'll try the car out without the spoiler when its road worthy, see what kind of difference it makes at speed in the corners. the car looks sorta incomplete with out the spoiler to me. I may not of mentioned this but the car will be getting a set of louvers as well that will go on each side window and the hatch glass.

there are a few things on the car I never posted pictures of that I should probably get, biggest reason I never took photos were because its was stuff my dad and brother were putting together while I was doing something else on the car and never that to take pics of. there isn't much to take pics of mostly in the front bumper.