Duke's '72 510 (Carbed KA Autocross/Hillclimb car)

Duke

Thanks guys! I'm running the naps-z tranny because that is what came with the engine. No real reason other than that.

Clayton, you might get to see it at some point soon. I'm considering having Troy dyno tune it, so...

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys! I'm running the naps-z tranny because that is what came with the engine. No real reason other than that.

Clayton, you might get to see it at some point soon. I'm considering having Troy dyno tune it, so...

maybe we can work out a deal over at the dyno and do your car Lisa's car Troys single cam KA car and my wagon and get a better rate maybe just rent it for 2 hours or so...

Duke that shit is da bomb :D haha :) As normal I have a few tips/wonders :D

first after doing a few car's I've always done the brake lines before the engine was in. I'm sure you have something up your sleeve :D Hopefully you get rid of the 1 to 1 valve (ick!!)

Second which is kinda to late since you already have the uni belt for the water pump. I always wondered about using the ka truck stuff to use the same belt for the alt. and water pump... If I figure something out I will let you know :D

Matt I wouldn't worry about the tranny breaking they are the same tranny in the zx and hold up to 200rwhp before they start popping and thats in a heavier with more torch rig.

As a finial note I just have to add your rig is looking great Duke! I love all the little things you have done, to me thats what sets them apart from the rest. Anyone can get a credit card and buy every bolt on part known to man. You customized it to your liking and done a very nice job. I have something to shot for on my rig :D You know what they say, if your going to aim, aim high :)

Wait one more thing, hook the heater up!! I know you don't have any wipers ( or at least in the factory location) but heat is the best. I have a temp gauge on my key chain, today at the steering wheel in my KC the temp was 91 haha my GF hates riding with me because its always so hot :D

maybe we can work out a deal over at the dyno and do your car Lisa's car Troys single cam KA car and my wagon and get a better rate maybe just rent it for 2 hours or so...

That would be awesome. I really hope we can work out a time so that we can do this. As a Mikuni novice, a good dyno tune would really help things out I'm sure.

Duke that shit is da bomb :D haha :) As normal I have a few tips/wonders :D

first after doing a few car's I've always done the brake lines before the engine was in. I'm sure you have something up your sleeve :D Hopefully you get rid of the 1 to 1 valve (ick!!)

Second which is kinda to late since you already have the uni belt for the water pump. I always wondered about using the ka truck stuff to use the same belt for the alt. and water pump... If I figure something out I will let you know :D

Matt I wouldn't worry about the tranny breaking they are the same tranny in the zx and hold up to 200rwhp before they start popping and thats in a heavier with more torch rig.

As a finial note I just have to add your rig is looking great Duke! I love all the little things you have done, to me thats what sets them apart from the rest. Anyone can get a credit card and buy every bolt on part known to man. You customized it to your liking and done a very nice job. I have something to shot for on my rig :D You know what they say, if your going to aim, aim high :)

Wait one more thing, hook the heater up!! I know you don't have any wipers ( or at least in the factory location) but heat is the best. I have a temp gauge on my key chain, today at the steering wheel in my KC the temp was 91 haha my GF hates riding with me because its always so hot :D

Damn Jeff, always all the questions!! Haha, I like it, you always make me think about thing a little more.

Brake lines-My dad is doing them tomorrow, so I'm not going to worry about it:D. And yes, I will be getting rid of the 1 to 1 check valve.

Belt setup-I have figured out how to do a single belt setup. After some searching on KA-T it seems that if you use a single cam alt mount and t-stat housing, it moves the alt forward so you can run everything off of one belt. I plan on doing this in the future, perhaps with a pulley that is machined for a edis wheel...

The heater will happen sometime in the future, most likely over the summer. I will just dress warm in the meantime.

As always, thanks for the compliments. I guess I get the fabrication thing from my dad. His is a "make it, don't buy it" kind of guy, so I guess that has rubbed off a bit. And remember Jeff, we aim LOW, not high, when it comes to cars (and ride heights).

Cool build, loving the Mikuni's. I do have one question tho. I'm running triples on my zx without filters, just a screen behind the air horns. How thick is that itg airfilter as I have space limitations and was wondering if maybe this might be a solution for me. The rear most air horn is less than 1/2" from the brake booster.lol

Damn Jeff, always all the questions!! Haha, I like it, you always make me think about thing a little more.

Question everything :D My job usually doesn't require to much thinking so I just ponder different ideas I have. That mixed with all the cars I have worked on adds more questions than answered. I have a friend that plays guitar, we played in a band together for a couple years. One thing he told me was the more you know the more questions you have. It seems true for most everything in life.

Brake lines-My dad is doing them tomorrow, so I'm not going to worry about it:D. And yes, I will be getting rid of the 1 to 1 check valve.

What a nice guy!! Brake lines are not my favorite thing.

Belt setup-I have figured out how to do a single belt setup. After some searching on KA-T it seems that if you use a single cam alt mount and t-stat housing, it moves the alt forward so you can run everything off of one belt. I plan on doing this in the future, perhaps with a pulley that is machined for a edis wheel...

I was talking to Ray (Garage Auto Hero) about moving the alt. forward, yes it would work but I want to figure out a way to keep it more compact. He was working on a setup that had the common reversed x member and a custom aluminum rad and there just wasn't the room. Just something I was wonder...

The heater will happen sometime in the future, most likely over the summer. I will just dress warm in the meantime.

I'm sure you are itching to drive that rig! I daily drove a turbo dime for 2 years with no heater. If I ripped on it enough the heat from the exhaust helped :D

As always, thanks for the compliments. I guess I get the fabrication thing from my dad. His is a "make it, don't buy it" kind of guy, so I guess that has rubbed off a bit. And remember Jeff, we aim LOW, not high, when it comes to cars (and ride heights).

HAHA so true! :D I have "lower" expectations for what I'm working for on my 2 door hopefully I will be updating it with good info :D

I was talking to Ray (Garage Auto Hero) about moving the alt. forward, yes it would work but I want to figure out a way to keep it more compact. He was working on a setup that had the common reversed x member and a custom aluminum rad and there just wasn't the room. Just something I was wonder...

Yeah, that can be a problem if you don't have a lot of room up front. the other solution I have seen is a custom water pump pulley that moves the water pump pulley back so it lines up with the alternator. I have seen group buys for these, and that would be the ideal setup. Maybe a future project for when I get good on a lathe.

Ok Duke, just make us ALL feel bad about our projects then, why don't you! HA!

That's coming together great. What clean work! You've made some awesome choices. You're going to LOVE the intake sound with those Mikuni 44's. What are you thinking about throttle linkage? Without the L-series (non-crossflow) header under there, you could definitely do an undermount/down-pull setup. I don't know how practical it would be, but it'd be cool to keep the super-clean uncluttered engine bay look. "Look ma, no cables, no wires, but still it runs!"

Truly great work - I'd been offline for a few weeks and now I see all this progress! Wow!

And since I'm dreaming, would you consider fuel lines to the Mikunis out of some of the Aeroquip starlight - or whatever that black kevlar-weave line is they have. I'm sure it's expensive, but it'd look sweet with the crinkle-black valve cover.

Oh, one more thing - what about cam choice? Or are you way ahead of me after putting the engine together? Anyway, I know Dave (Rebello) will have some great (experience and) ideas for KA cams. You're wide open with power possibilities with those Mikunis on there and (since fuel economy isn't going to be their strong point) you might as well go for it.

I had a built (2.3 L series) with Mikunis on it and I'll never forget that throttle response and OOOHHH ... the intake sound!!! Datsun510sale095.jpg (moment for a SIGH, and fond memories....)

Edited by blueridgespeed

Thanks blueridge. I feel the same way about your project, you make me want to do a full tube chassis build some day.

To answer your questions, the throttle setup that I'm going with is a center pull cable setup that Troy Ermish makes. Very simple and clean. As for the fuel lines to the carbs I am just going to be running rubber lines for the moment (I'm running out of money!), but I do plan on using some of that black braided line for fuel line in the future.

As for cams they are a bit of a mystery right now. I purchased to motor from a guy who pulled it from a 510 that he had purchased from the guy who built the engine. He claimed that there were cams in there but I really don't know any of ther internal specs. It does look to be freshly rebuilt so it is a possiblity. For the moment my main goal is to get it running and driving, then I can think of engine modifications.

I can't wait to hear how it sounds either.

Oh, and about your old car, the new owner of it is a member over on the510realm.com, so you can check in on it if you want.

I have officially committed Datsun sacrilege, there is a Honda part on my car. Can you spot it?

IMGP1993.jpg

I can dig up the Honda P/N if anybody is interested.

Shortened the throw between gears by about 1 1/2", and that is with a longer shift lever.

IMGP1980.jpg

Damn you, here I thought I was settled on my frontend, now I'm thinking of more changes.

The little things like relocating mounting points to optimize your wheel travel, love it. :D

Nice work on the short throw shifter as well, getting all kinds of free performace out of this car. :cool:

What size tap for the tie-rod? Honda nut part no.?

How thick is that itg airfilter as I have space limitations and was wondering if maybe this might be a solution for me.

X2

How thick is that itg airfilter as I have space limitations and was wondering if maybe this might be a solution for me. The rear most air horn is less than 1/2" from the brake booster.lol

http://www.itgfilters.net/category.sc?categoryId=3

even if you run the shorty mani, you may still have clearance issues w/a stock MC.

2eDeYe;118983']Damn you' date=' here I thought I was settled on my frontend, now I'm thinking of more changes.

The little things like relocating mounting points to optimize your wheel travel, love it. :D

Nice work on the short throw shifter as well, getting all kinds of free performace out of this car. :cool:

What size tap for the tie-rod? Honda nut part no.?

[/quote']

The moving of the t/c rod mount was mainly for geometry issues. All of the suspension pivots have been raised 1" for better geometry when lowered (and you know I like them low).

The Honda p/n is 90203-KM1-020 for the M16x1 nut. If I remember correctly the thread for the adjustment side of the tie rod is M14x1.5.

For the filter info, check out the link that Hang510 posted, it has all the info you need. I have the "big" 4 cylinder model.

What no love for a truck! Count me in.

Nice work on the 510 by the way. Absolutely beautiful.

Well, I haven't updated much for the past week or so, but that's not because I haven't been working on it! After getting the engine in I have been doing non-stop work on all those little things that take time. I have been waiting on parts for the past few days, just getting those last few things that are needed. Today, after a trip to Ermish Racing, I got the last thing needed...

And now, IT'S ALIVE!!! :twisted:

After getting the linkage on today, the only thing left to do was to give it a go. Damn was I nervous the first time I turned it over in a effort to start it. But, alas, it wasn't to be a fairy tale "fire on the first try" type of thing. It took my dad and I about an hour of messing around with the distributor to get it to run, albeit very poorly. We came to the conclusion that whoever made the dizzy didn't do a very good job of it (no, it wasn't me). The dizzy was basically off by 1/2 tooth. They used a Crane Cams XR700 universal EI kit. I had purchased the same kit for spare parts if I had any problems. Well, I pretty much rebuilt the insides of the thing, and now I have good timing!

I'm hoping for the first drive tomorrow. The carbs are still a ways off and there are a few other odds and ends that need to be addressed, but I can't wait to get behind the wheel. Here are the pictures from the end of the night.

IMGP2028.jpg

A BIG thanks goes to my Dad for running the brake, clutch, and fuel lines! I'll post some pictures of the sweet flaring tool that we have. It is one of the coolest tools in our shop.

IMGP2025.jpg

Made a catch can for the breathers as the intake doesn't have provisions for them. You can also see the interference between the fuel line and the tank that I need to address as well as the center pull carb linkage.

IMGP2024.jpg

Just another shot of my favorite part!

IMGP2016.jpg

As an overview, this is what I started with last June.

IMGP1324-1.jpg

IMGP1603.jpg

And now, 6 months later (really only about 3-4 months of working time).

IMGP2026.jpg

I couldn't be happier...I just can't wait to see how it drives! :D

• Like 2

I am so stoked to hear you got it running congrats Duke I kinda know how it is to hear a long project finally run if you were anything like I was the first time I fired off the wagon or my 2 door I felt like the joker a smile from ear to ear that just would not go away! Ummm Ya and I think I speak for most here that a video is needed :D

Clayton

Thanks for the compliments guys, I just wish it ran half as good as it looks!

I have had one hell of a day. When I left it last night it was idling on two cylinders, but sounded like it would fire on all 4 once you got on the throttle. Also, if I held the "start" valve open, it would pick up the 2 that weren't firing. Basically cylinders 3 and 4 weren't getting fuel at idle. This led me to believe that there was some kind of blockage in the pilot/idle circuit in the rear carb. So this morning I gave the carb in question a good cleaning and cleared all the passages with compressed air. No change. It still idles on 2 then jumps to 4 with more throttle/opening the start valve. I decided to do a compression check, not so good. 1-4 read 180, 180,90, 120 respectively. However I don't think that this is so bad that I wouldn't be getting any power out of 3 and 4.

So I decided to swap the carburetors front to back to see if I could get some kind of change. In the process I cleaned them as best I could by blowing the passages out with compressed air. So the carbs go back on, and again, no change. Still running on only 1 and 2.

I'm done for the day, but tomorrow I'm going to check the valve lash to make sure that isn't the source of the low compression. I'm also going to go through the ignition system once again as well as going through the carbs. Anybody else have any ideas as to what could be causing this problem? I'm tapped out at the moment :(.