Duke's '72 510 (Carbed KA Autocross/Hillclimb car)

Duke

Well, I've been a member for a while. I don't post a whole lot cause it seems like truck stuff has been taking over! So here is a little car related thread to help throw that balance.

I got the car in 2004, my senior year of highschool. It was my first car. I had always loved 510's since I saw the blue rotary one that was in Sport Compact Car a few years ago. After a few months of searching I found one...the sickness had started.

The car was originally an ITC race car so it had a some basic stuff done to it when I got it. SSS L18 w/SU's, lowering springs, front and rear sway bars, Autopower roll bar, and Enkie wheels. Nothing special. It also had a repaint with some stripes and other racey stuff...as well as a bit of rust here and there. This is what it originally looked like.

772548_2_full.jpg

It needed some sorting an tuning but I got it driveable for my last year of highschool. First came coilovers and camber plates and a BRE spook (which I destroyed a few weeks after it got on the car...yeah, my cars a little low), all the while it became more ratty as I fixed rust and the primer started to take over...

Coilovers, 280zx struts with Porche 911 Koni insterts, 300# springs, custom machined camber/caster plates.

IMGP0097.jpg

car20pics20005.jpg

IMGP0140.jpg

Then came the some Konig Rewinds...

IMGP0349.jpg

That year I got my first taste of autocrossing at Shasta '06 (man, I miss Shasta) and I was hooked...

IMG_0789.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0793.jpg

I enjoyed the car for the rat that it was for a while, using it as a DD the whole time. I then got tired of the horrible design of the Autopower roll bar so I made my own.

cage003.jpg

cage006.jpg

cage002.jpg

cage007.jpg

cage004.jpg

Also modified the gas tank so I can run really low fuel for auto-x's.

cage011.jpg

I then go tired of driving such an eyesore so I started body work to get it painted. Replaced rust in the floors, fenders, rockers, tail light panel, and rear quarter panels. I did a "mini" tub on the rear fenders. Hand flared the front and rear fenders and made a smooth roll pan for the rear. I also shaved the side markers, licence plate lights, and pillar vents. I figured that the more stuff I shaved, the cheaper it would be cause I didn't have to find that rare stuff in good condition. Painted it with enamel paint cause I'm cheap and I didn't need a show car, just a 20/20 paint job. Turned out OK, not great up close, but not bad.

DSC03175.jpg

DSC03170.jpg

DSC03171.jpg

DSC03169.jpg

DSC03163.jpg

Also made some aluminum door panels.

DSC03177.jpg

So thats pretty much how it sits now. I know there are things that I forgot, I've worked on this car for so long I'm sure that some things have skipped my mind.

At this moment its sitting at my home waiting for me to come back from college. I busted some rings while I was on spring break so I had to leave it home for a while. The plan for when I get home is to dive into a engine swap with this beast.

IMGP1324-1.jpg

44 mikuni's...

IMGP1326.jpg

While the engine is out I'm going to clean up the engine bay and rewire the car. I'm also going to do some custom headers and intake manifold for the KA. So updates won't happen for another month or so when I get home and tear into it. I can't wait...

• Like 1
  • Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

VERY nice Duke...Im love'n the tig welded cage and the door panels I want to do the same for my 2 door, keep the pics coming :D can I expect to see you at the Blackhawk meet this year ???

Clayton

Its kinda funny, we both had the same favorite 510 when we where younger and now somehow are cars look alike :D Nothing like our favorite though :D Your driving it to Canby right? We need to get a shot of them next to each other!

I'm diggin' the heck out of it, but please, for the love of all that is Datsun, paint that B-pillar black to match the door and 1/4 window! :D

Yeah, I was wondering if I should do that...maybe I will. It's whit cause I painted the car with the doors and stuff off, and then painted the window frames seperatly...but I guess that would most likely look better. I'll put it on my long list on things to do, but it comes after the KA swap and the suspension stuff that I have planned for the summer.

Its kinda funny, we both had the same favorite 510 when we where younger and now somehow are cars look alike :D Nothing like our favorite though :D Your driving it to Canby right? We need to get a shot of them next to each other!

I wish I could be at Canby. The first factor against me is that the KA won't be in by then. The second is that my dad and I are driving his roadster (posted pics a while ago) down to LA for the LA roadster show...can't miss some good father son bonding time, especially when you get to do it in such a bitchin car!

I wish I could be at Canby. The first factor against me is that the KA won't be in by then. The second is that my dad and I are driving his roadster (posted pics a while ago) down to LA for the LA roadster show...can't miss some good father son bonding time, especially when you get to do it in such a bitchin car!

O :( I think I remember you saying that.. We need a shot with our cars next to each other, how are we going to know who's is lower :D I guess I'm going to have to drive to Cali :D

What did you build your camber plates out of? 7075?

• 1 month later...

Well, I've started with the KA swap. Against much advice I am going to make a new oil pan. So far I've got the old lump out and have pressure washed the engine bay. I have stripped down the KA and am in the process of making the now oil pan. I'm going to get it all fitted in and the headers made and then take it all out to paint the engine bay. Here are some pics of the progress so far.

Engine bay...REALLY ugly.

IMGP1603.jpg

Pan is coming together, I will make the sump once I get the engine test fitted and make the mounts.

IMGP1604.jpg

IMGP1605.jpg

Fell free to give my any criticism/advice on the pan. This is my first one so I am open to it all!

Weld s-l-o-w-l-y :D

Is that sheet metal your adding or plate?

Do you have anyway to get a thicker flange cut (laser or waterget) might be easier to seal against the motor over reusing an old flange.

sweet 510 man what all suspention work are you going to do to it somthing stronger for the ka? if you change the front stuff let me know im on the look out for front suspention goodies :D

I replied on your thread on the realm but forgot a few things I wanted to say :D I think you should find some way to make the water pump and alt. share the same belt. I really don't like how if you don't have power steering the belt has no tensionor, it sucks. I know a few people that run with just a "tight" belt and have no problems but a custom pulley would be sick!! Raise the crossmember to :D like I said before it will solve 2 problems :D keep the pics coming.

Your engine bay doesn't look that rusty, damn always sunny in California!!!

2eDeYe;61419']Weld s-l-o-w-l-y :D

Is that sheet metal your adding or plate?

Do you have anyway to get a thicker flange cut (laser or waterget) might be easier to seal against the motor over reusing an old flange.

Its sheet metal. 16ga. so its gonna be nice and strong in case it ever hits the ground. I think that making a new flange would be more work than its worth. I'm not having any warping problems yet.

so how did you flare out the rear archs?

Did the flairs with a hammer and dolly...and a good bit of time.

I replied on your thread on the realm but forgot a few things I wanted to say :D I think you should find some way to make the water pump and alt. share the same belt. I really don't like how if you don't have power steering the belt has no tensionor' date=' it sucks. I know a few people that run with just a "tight" belt and have no problems but a custom pulley would be sick!! Raise the crossmember to :D like I said before it will solve 2 problems :D keep the pics coming.

Your engine bay doesn't look that rusty, damn always sunny in California!!![/quote']

Yeah, I have been pondering the alternator waterpump belt problem for a while. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I might just run with the "tight" belt until I figure out what I want to do. I am going to have access to a CNC next semester so we'll see what happens. And the engine bay has a little rust where the cowl drain is, but other than that its good. I'm just not looking foward to stripping all the crappy paint off that the P/O sprayed on there!

Yeah, I have been pondering the alternator waterpump belt problem for a while. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I might just run with the "tight" belt until I figure out what I want to do. I am going to have access to a CNC next semester so we'll see what happens. And the engine bay has a little rust where the cowl drain is, but other than that its good. I'm just not looking foward to stripping all the crappy paint off that the P/O sprayed on there!

it looks like you could use a water pump pully from a 280zx. those pullies are deep, and it just might line up with the alt. pully. then you can run one belt

Do 280zx's use a serpantine belt? The other problem with moving the belt is it ends up hitting the water outlet when you move it back to run on on the inside pully.

I just thought about it and don't all l-series motors use the same water pump

? If they do, this won't work. I have seen some custom kits that make it run on one belt, but those were with custom billet stuff.