Duke's '72 510 (Carbed KA Autocross/Hillclimb car)

Duke

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Lozer (didn't I sell you some sway bars a few years back?)! It's the Civic that I'm really worried about. He is about .5 sec faster than me most of the time. I think I can close the gap soon enough though. I also must say that I am thoroughly impressed with you and your car. I don't think I have ever seen a really fast C4, let alone a vert! It looks awesome out there, and you are really laying down some fast times.

For those of you who are wondering what Lozer and I are talking about, here is a rundown of this last weekend of autocrossing.

This last weekend was an autocross double header with an event on Saturday and Sunday. They ran the same course, but it was reversed for Sunday. Funny enough, there was a general consensus that the course flowed alot better and was much more fun to drive on Sunday.

On Saturday I had a little trouble getting to grips with the handling changes that I had made to the car. I nearly lost it a few times and had trouble getting a nice and clean run. My times were all over the place, but I was finally able to get a bit of a handle on it in the second session. Towards the end of the day I was able to get a solid and clean run to end up third in my class behind a co-drivers in a well setup Civic Si. Here is a in car video of that run. The camera doesn't like the vibrations of my car, so it gets a bit out of control at times. As always, I am free to any and all advice that you have to give.

The day was not without incident though. Coming home for the event I looked down to see the temp gauge PEGGED! I pulled off the road, sat for a while to let the car cool. I assumed that the thermostat was sticking as I had encountered this before. Setting off again the car quickly got hot, so I threw in the towel about a mile from home and had my dad come and tow me in. No point in blowing a headgasket just to go a mile. Once home I set about finding the problem. With the engine running I looked over it and noticed the fan belt wasn't spinning! Looking closer it seems that one of the heim joints used for the belt tensioner had snapped off at the shaft. I'm not sure of the cause, but luckily I had a replacement laying around, and was able to have it up and running again with little work. With that done I was giving the engine a once over before heading in and saw what looked like a crack forming on the #4 header tube. Upon closer inspection the tube was nearly crack half way around, as well as having a crack running longitudinally along the seam. Wanting to be able to race on Sunday I knew it had to be fixed. So off came the header (not a small task in itself) and out came the TIG. Two hours later it was all back together and running like a top, ready for Sunday.

Sunday went much better for me than Saturday. I felt much more comfortable with how the car was handling and was able to put down some good consistent times. Five out of my eight runs were within one tenth of a second of my fastest clean run. I was able to get a faster run, but picket up a cone in the process. I am feeling more and more comfortable and familiar with the car at every event, and am really happy with how it is handling with the current setup. I may fiddle with tire pressures a bit more, but I think that is about it for now.

Here are a couple of pictures from Saturday. The first one is causing me to think that my tire pressures are a bit low, seeing how much the sidewall is deflecting on turn in.

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_9976.jpg

So I have been planning to install Megajolt controlled Ford EDIS ignition on my KA for the last few years. I have been slowly amassing parts and making the various brackets to hold the crank position sensor, the coil pack, and EDIS box. Well in the last month I finally pulled the trigger and got the whole project back together.

Distributor block off plate and crank sensor mount.

Duke, sorry for the dumb question, since I think the answer is NO, but since I've been working on my u20 roaster engine, I'm out of the loop for KA's - did you need to do anything to retain/replicate the distributor shaft when blocking off the distributor? And do you know if, when doing a distributor delete on an L-series - if anything similar would need to be done - or just make the block-off plate? You've encouraged me to try moving forward with a EDIS-type ignition.

SWEET autocross results - fab it and drive it, man - just like the BRE days!

Yea you sold me some sways for my dime a couple years ago. Kinda how i remembered your car then i saw your name in the timing lineup and i figured out who you were. (old bad memory)

Thanks man this is the first season with this car and ive almost got her dialed in now. My last car here was a wrx the one before that was a 280z scarab clone (350 v8). Once i tried vett it all fell together and im never going back.

As for the kid in the civic he is one hell of a driver ive watched him thrash cars for 2 seasons now and he has either raw talent or the biggest balls ive ever seen. This is what your third race and your already figuring it out fast (alot of people dont) your no slouch out there bud give it some time and youll be taking your class. Also im pretty sure you can loose the muffler cuz it does not silence anything. LOL :) (sounds like 1000000 angry bees in a loudhorn)

Next race try to get to work the timing booth with me and my wife (best spot in the place if you gotta work)

Duke, sorry for the dumb question, since I think the answer is NO, but since I've been working on my u20 roaster engine, I'm out of the loop for KA's - did you need to do anything to retain/replicate the distributor shaft when blocking off the distributor? And do you know if, when doing a distributor delete on an L-series - if anything similar would need to be done - or just make the block-off plate? You've encouraged me to try moving forward with a EDIS-type ignition.

SWEET autocross results - fab it and drive it, man - just like the BRE days!

You answered the question yourself. No, the KA doesn't require anything when removing the distributor. However, from what I have heard, the L-series does. Without anything the distributor/oil pump drive shaft is not supported on one end and this may lead to bad results.

Also im pretty sure you can loose the muffler cuz it does not silence anything. LOL :) (sounds like 1000000 angry bees in a loudhorn)

Next race try to get to work the timing booth with me and my wife (best spot in the place if you gotta work)

Haha, I know it's loud. I got a warning from the auto-x chair last Sunday. I'm going to quiet it down for the next event.

I'll try and get in the booth. I usually get there a little late though and end up out chasing cones :frantics: .

I'm really looking forward to next season. I've got some upgrades planned for the car that I hope should cut a bit of time off my runs...

And the addiction begins. Welcome to a habit thats more fun then drugs and costs more.

As for the exhaust tune it with stainless steele wool (dont laugh shit works great) cram a bit in the hole and the soundis difused by the multiple reflections.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks guys!

That pivot cone was my least favorite part of that course! I felt like I was standing still going around that thing. I'm looking forward to next season though, especially with the upgrades that I'm planning for the winter... :cool:

• 6 months later...

So I wasn't able to get all of my planned winter upgrades done, but I was able to get a few done that I have been really looking forward to for a while.

The first thing that helped facilitate this was the purchase of another vehicle.  Finally, after 9 years of DD duty, my 510 is getting a break and living the relaxed life of a "play" car.  Being able to take the Datsun off the road for a bit gave me a chance to address some upgrades that I have been wanting to do for a while.  After the end of the last auto-x season one thing that was obviously missing was a limited slip.  It was nearly impossible to put power down coming out of tight corners, and I wasn't able to use the throttle to adjust the attitude of the car in long sweepers.  So this winter I plunked down some change for what I think is the best solution for installing a LSD in the rear of our cars.  I purchased a rear differential from a 2004 Subaru WRX STI (3.90 ratio with a clutch type LSD) and, after S15DET's positive reviews of the kit, I got a CV kit from The Driveshaft Shop.  The Porsche 930 CV's that are used in the kit look mighty stout that's for sure!

DSC00559_zpsb1041099.jpg

I also used the downtime over the winter to get some parts plated and powdercoated.  I sure like the look of the electroless nickle plating.  Gives everything a very clean look.

DSC00556_zpsa50ec7f6.jpg

I also did some work on the drivers side floor pan.  With the rather low ride height of my car, I have been wanting to build an exhaust tunnel for a while.  I also figured while I was in there, I would redo the seat mount, as I wasn't happy with my old setup.  This whole project took a little longer than I expected, but I'm really happy with how it turned out, and I really like the new seating position.  The exhaust tunnel also means that I will need to make a new exhaust soon to take advantage of all the newfound space underneath the car! :D

DSC00545_zpsdca77779.jpg

Stay tuned for a report from my first auto-x event this season.  I can say that I was very happy with the new changes!

Thanks guys!  It is a labour of love for sure.

How much did the nickle plating run compared to the podercoat?

I think minimum batch charge was around $150.

Heck yeah, nice update.  I saw the auto-x results, good job!  I will for sure be out there for the May event. 

Thanks, I was pretty psyched on how it went...but there is more left in the car for sure. :devil:

So what did you get for a daily?  620 or something?

Nothing exciting.  1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon.  Cheap, reliable, and AWD.

DSC00484_zps5a2be906.jpg

I have that same rear diff what did the cv's set you back

The CV axle set, which included adapters for the STI diff to 930 CV's on the inside and CV's to 510 stubs on the outside set me back $1100.  Not cheap, but considering how much other CV kits cost, and that the inner stubs snapped right into the STI diff, I am very pleased with it.

I missed the first local autocross of the season this year because I was waiting for the axles for my diff swap.  After talking to the guys the Drive Shaft Shop, they said that they would be able to get them to me for the April 20th race.  After initially receiving the wrong length axles and having to send them back for shorter ones, I ended up getting everything I needed on the 19th.  I threw the new axles in and took the car out for a spin to make sure everything was kosher.  All that was needed was a little hammering for some extra outer CV clearance and I was good to go.  The car felt good, and I was looking forward to seeing what differences the new differential would make.

Saturday was a beautiful cloudless day.  I took my first few runs pretty easy, as it had been almost 5 months since I had driven the car.  Initial impressions were that it was a bit more tail happy than before, but much easier to control with the throttle, and much quicker out of the tight turns.  After lunch and a quick look over the car, I was ready to put the hammer down!  My first run of the afternoon was 2 seconds faster than my morning runs (which is huge on a 35 second course) and I was feeling more at home in the car with every run.  In the next few runs I was able to cut more than a second off of this, but not without picking up a few cones in the process.  At the end of the afternoon session, I had 2 clean runs in the low 34's and 3 not clean runs in the mid 33's.  I was really hoping to get a clean mid 33, but it was not to be.  For reference, the FTD was a 33.02, set by a Brunton Stalker (Lotus 7 clone) on race tires.  My times ended up being good enough for the 6th fastest time of the day, 1st in my class, and the fastest car on street tires (something I was really psyched about).

The car setup is feeling spot on.  It rotates nicely in the tighter turns while staying very predictable in the faster sweepers.  It really shines in slaloms though and fast transitions though.  I don't think I am going to touch the setup before the next event.

Here are a few pictures from Saturday for you're viewing pleasure...

IMG_9561_zps85e81eda.jpg

IMG_9558_zps3666c656.jpg

And my favorite from the day...having to dial in a little opposite lock while getting used to the new LSD!

IMG_9559_69_zpsa431bac4.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Duke what is considered a "street tire"  would it be anything DOT approved?

The tires must have a tread wear rating of 140 or higher (so no R compound tires).  This basically encompass the "extreme performance summer tire" category.