The Vinyl Solution

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey CrackerJack-

this is better than blip shift! soo many options: do want, but don't know what to get and when.

Do you have all this work compiled into a central resource instead of a 18 page forum post? A catalog or website? Or a catalog website? B) Would zazzle work for this purpose? 

Also, this is a pretty cool story: going from appliance repair tech to small business owner. To me seeing this is better than reading in Forbes or someplace like that. Good luck with growing your small business. 

• Like 1
Adam, sorry keep forgetting about those. Any ideas for font and size? Color? Oh, and the cap press is scheduled to arrive tomorrow if you wanna get that hat done too :D My phone's off cuz I'm broke, but you can still text.

About the same size as the current rats n wrenches - lets see a design then ill decide colors. I have 2 or 3 friends with truck that have rescued datsuns so im gunna mark em for life :D 

As for the hat, im waiting on one i like with no embroidery 

Do you have all this work compiled into a central resource instead of a 18 page forum post? A catalog or website? Or a catalog website? B) Would zazzle work for this purpose? 

Crackerjack,

I own and operate a small social media/wed design company - when your ready for the next step let me know. We can make it happen cheap just to get you rolling 

Thanks Sudo, yeah it's been quite a journey. Things are real hard right now. Some days I miss being a slave and not worrying about income fluctuations. But most days I feel like I made an excellent decision getting out on my own. I dedicate an hour or two everyday to research related to my business field. There's so much you can do, and so much to learn. There's no college course for this kind of thing. I've soaked up every morsel of knowledge I've come across, and it's never enough.

I don't have a catalogue because I don't have inventory of my own. I basically just do custom work, whatever the customer requests. I make vectors based on client art, and I design logos for fleet vehicles. So I use this thread and my FB page as a portfolio. Lolz, the only thing I really keep inventory of is the rat n wrenches decals.

Adam, the hat press just came today. I'm gonna make a ratsun hat tomorrow. Black hat w/ grey pinstripes. Gold chrome ratnwrenches on the crown. Will post pics. Yeah, the flexfit hats are not quite like a fitted, but they're super comfortable and look well made. And I can offer them at a generous price.

Stay tuned for updates tomorrow or next day folks :D Off to make some grilled cheese and pastrami sandwiches, and enjoy the company of some lovely ladies.

• Like 1

They will be available very soon. I need to chamfer the edges of the aluminum platen to solve some issues with marks on the cap. And I'm going to make some minor changes to the ratsun vector file. Probably will start taking orders and put up a sale thread sometime this coming week.

sweet, ill pick up a fitted hat thats black and stop by one of these nights. 

Yeah Adam, come by sometime. Got the platen all dressed up, no more lines on the hats. Solved a couple other problems as well. The hat press is ready to rock. Looks like I'll be offering a variety of hat styles, flat brim, fitted, trucker, snap backs with accent colored brims. Prices are going to range from $15 to $30 depending on hat style and artwork. As soon as a customer picks up the vehicle decals I made today, I'll pick up the hat blanks and get this thing rollin.

IMG_20130129_103434.jpg

IMG_20130129_110901.jpg

IMG_20130124_205325.jpg

I wanted to do a follow up to this. Ive working in it every weekday since Ive received it... Ive gotten machine oil, car grease, sweat, and dirt all over it. Once washed there was no noticeable shrinkage in sweatshirt size, everything came out clean, and the appliqué still looks great; no color fading and no turned up edges. 

Thanks again CJ. Fantastic work!

i have had the same experiance with my hoodie!! super awsome

• Like 1

I have a guy who does embroidery that I don't think is too bad.  I took him a picture and he whipped this out for me for $15 including the hat!

But CJ's work looks great!  What else can you silk screen?

744522d9.jpg

a6be9ce7.jpg

• Like 2

Not sure I even know what silk screening is. I assume another name for screen print? I don't do any of that. Never tried. Looks fun though. I use heat transfer vinyl, and printed plastisol transfers. Less messy, less $$$ on equipment. Seemed a better path for me to take. There are a lot of really cool hybrid transfers out there, as well as flock, and 3D XPD that should look good on hats. I'm excited for what I'll learn in the coming weeks :D

And yeah, do want embroidery machine. But that's a ways off.

Sorry meant vinyl transfer (although I've never heard of this either).  How durable is it?  Just wondering if it would start to peel off little by little as time goes by?  Yeah I can imagine a good embroidery machine can't be cheap!

Embroidery machine $4K for a startup, $30K for a boss machine. I've other things to spend on lolz. And yes, when applied properly, and cared for properly heat transfer will last and is not prone to chipping and flaking like painted shirts. There are many ways to customize, each have merit. Now that there are affordable printed plastisol transfers, heat transfer is able to compete with the screenprinting industry, especially for short runs.