Battery in the trunk of a 510?

jinx3

Maybe a dumb question, but while I am working on my 510's engine compartment I have noticed quite a few people remove the battery tray and relocate it to the trunk. What is the main reason to do this? And more importantly would you do it or do you think it's worth it?

Here is what I see:

1. Move some weight to the rear

2. Cleaner engine compartment

Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything and regret not doing it now...

Thanks,

jinx3

• Like 1
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive done it with almost every car Ive owned. Im a little hesitant with this car as its a sedan so the tank is just chilling in the trunk. The battery naturally emits fumes during operation and Im not sure if I want to add that to the fumes of the gas. I know that if I do it, I will do it per NHRA standards (as were my other vehicles). I mostly do it for cleaner engine bays or when it comes to engine swaps, it give you more room.

O P T I M A

No spills, no worries.

Plus, if your trunk is ANYTHING like mine, it's hardly air tight. Hell it can't even keep water out.

Mine is going in the trunk because it will be in the way of an upper radiator hose, and an intake. :D

Heat can shorten the life of a battery as well and theoretically having it in the trunk will alleviate that to some degree....though I moved mine because I wanted more room in the engine bay. I used an Optima to cut down on the issues usually associated with wet lead acid batteries.

001.JPG

• Like 1

i have nothing else to add about the reasons why people move the battery... its been nailed several times over

buuuut the last one caused me to pause and think about what was said.... the datsun 510 weighs (depending on fluid levels and acc. items) roughly 2240 pounds in all, with about 1220 pounds in the front and 1020 pounds in the rear... thats a 54F/46R weight bias.... moving a roughly 30 pound optima changes the weight bias to roughly 1190 front and 1050 (minus extra weight from a box/mount, and wiring) changing it to 53F/47R weight bias....

i HIGHLY doubt that moving the battery in front or behind the rear axle would make any difference compared to the actual move from the engine bay to the rear... but then when you add your body weight into the equation the battery move will help to even your added mass.... also if you are that worried about the placement the left/right placement would be far more important, and losing weight would be a major benefit (if you were making a g-machine)....

*my experience of this was when i begun taking my 85 944 to track days, orig weight bias was 51front/49rear .... nearly 50/50 and moving the battery to the rear didnt make it handle like a 911 with a large lump of flat 6 in the back

Can't remember where I saw it (if it was a wagon, 2D or 4D), but someone mounted the battery in a recessed box under the rear seat. Since then i have been considering this over mounting it in the trunk. heck i might need that trunk space for something, plus battery will be in between all the wheels, better center of gravity :)

they were using an odyssey battery....like a PC925, if i remember correctly.

Early British Triumphs used to mount 2 6volt batteries, one on each side of the drive shaft tunnel, under the rear seats and wire them in series.

that sounds cooler than the other ideas, and you can add a set of remote terminals for charging, jumping, etc.

i have nothing else to add about the reasons why people move the battery... its been nailed several times over

buuuut the last one caused me to pause and think about what was said.... the datsun 510 weighs (depending on fluid levels and acc. items) roughly 2240 pounds in all, with about 1220 pounds in the front and 1020 pounds in the rear... thats a 54F/46R weight bias.... moving a roughly 30 pound optima changes the weight bias to roughly 1190 front and 1050 (minus extra weight from a box/mount, and wiring) changing it to 53F/47R weight bias....

i HIGHLY doubt that moving the battery in front or behind the rear axle would make any difference compared to the actual move from the engine bay to the rear... but then when you add your body weight into the equation the battery move will help to even your added mass.... also if you are that worried about the placement the left/right placement would be far more important, and losing weight would be a major benefit (if you were making a g-machine)....

*my experience of this was when i begun taking my 85 944 to track days, orig weight bias was 51front/49rear .... nearly 50/50 and moving the battery to the rear didnt make it handle like a 911 with a large lump of flat 6 in the back

I didn't say anything about weight distribution.

• 1 month later...