My 77 KC 620

Farmer Joe

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

since its almost my last weekend to work on this pile, i went in search for the howl i hear when i get over 15 mph... 

jacked the ass end up, put it on blocks and when through 1st through 4th gear.. no howl.. 

jacked the front passenger side up. popped the wheel off and gave her a spin. 

grrrurrrurrrr.... front wheel bearin. inner front passenger bearing to be exact. 

swapped out the whole hub from one of the others i had.. 

i tightened up the preload on it again after goin around the block. its nice and quiet now.. 

id have to say, the truck is canby ready. i wish i had a new set of airshocks in the back, so i could haul more than a tent and cooler... 

canby 2k14 is a go!

• Like 4

So are sure you don't want me to call in a bomb threat to get you outta work ?

It Could happen !

hahahaha

if it was closed from friday til monday id be cool with that lol...

im gonna toss the new brakes on tomorrow. im hoping the rear brake hardware isnt trashed so i dont have to spend a bunch more cash on it. 

its been a while since the back shoes have been done, and ive been using the e brake to take up the slack in the worn shoes... they also make a bunch of noise when you press the pedal.. 

im lookin forward to seeing how the ceramic pads in the front are gonna work.. 

and ive been thinking about the path the truck is taking so far...

the link bar system is gonna be put off for a while.. might not even go that way. 

my plan is to go with 720 4x4 springs for the interim, work the pack over to keep most of the leafs and probably build a new set of drop blocks. the angled ones that Hooligan and Jrock have..

im also trying to figure out a cheap alternative to the fancy coil overs that most the 620 guys use.. if i could find a set of stiff torsion bars, id be cool with that. 

the idea of using just the springs from Mustang2 suspension has come across the table too. fabbing up some pockets and mounts to use just the coils, and mounting the shock behind the a arms. 

and the last thing is the sway bar.. im sure i could fix most of the body roll with stiffer springs front and back. its no lie shes really squishy side to side with the current springs. fact still remains, id like to have a front sway bar again.. you dont think it does a lot till its not there. 

im limited to using the d21 swaybar since its so low still. the stock 620 bar binds on the tension rods with how low it is.. im not going to spacer the tension rods at the LCA end. im hokey, but not that hokey. im gonna have to get my hands on a d21 swaybar to see how it fits in the chassis with the wider arms. 

its funny. it never ends.. one upgrade leads to something related to it needing upgraded.. 

i love it... lol

my wallet doesnt... but fuck it.. DATSUN!

"do you remember when we were in Africa?"

I moved my tension rods(521 tension rods) to the rear on my 720 frame, that way they do not hit on the pitman/idler arms anymore, nor will they get in the way of the sway bar, although my sway bar is in position, it is not connected to the lower control arms at this time, it's just not on my list of things to do right now, as I need to make a connection for it on the LCAs, as the original sway bar mount holes are now my lower shock mounts, I use stud/stud roadster shocks now, they are the shortest shock I could find.

Another thing I seen at a wrecking yard once on a 720 diesel was the sway bar mounted towards the rear on the frame, not sure how they anchored it unless the opened the side of the frame to weld the nuts in position, then close it up again, that's all I could think of.

• Like 1

thanks for the reply wayno..

ive still got some figuring to do, but ill get it going right soon enough.. 

i found out that the s13 front sway bar is a direct fit into a d21 other than the rod ends being different. gonna try and find one local possibly.. 

if all else fails, a d21 swaybar would be nice.. 

onto new things tho.. 

the brakes work really well. pedal is right at the top now, and doesnt drop half way anymore getting past the slop in the rear brakes. they were toast to say the least. 

the 205s dont lend themselves to break loose under braking, but from a 55 roll to almost nothing happens very fast. 

so the brake system is a done deal. glad to have it totally done now. 

gonna try and work on the rear suspension here soon. id like to get the link bar and coil over setup goin, but i dont have all the materials for it yet. 

ive gotten to that point where id be really happy with a set of new leafs, and more than 3... 

i was aiming at getting a set of 720 4x4 leafs. clean the dampering shit off em, and flip the overload to the top.. 

this is the current setup... 

20140527_150105_zpsknkgfwwv.jpg

20140527_150039_zpsc7f0c5bl.jpg

its worked for a long time like this, and with the L series it wanst an issue. with the KA, it a different story. 

i figure with the way the leafs collapse when i gas it, im gonna keep the 720 leafs as flat as i can. we'll see how it goes when i have it bolted in. not sure if ill have to build a set of drop blocks yet. 

this also warrants new leaf bushings.. i need to look those up at work tomorrow.

and i guess the last part is the shock mounts.. theyre just going to have an inch sectioned out of them. time for some good gas shocks and a pathfinder sway bar too!

aaaand im rambling. 

more to come...

• Like 4

Look around for a set of these U-bolt bottom plates for a shock mount, you will have to change over to an eye/eye type shock, but you won't have to worry about that shit dragging the ground anymore.

DSCN2194.JPG

DSCN2200.JPG

DSCN2205.JPG

This is with 2 inch blocks, nothing will drag if I get a flat.

DSCN2208.JPG

DSCN2207.JPG

I am running 720 4X4 leafs, I changed the front leaf mounts to the 520 type, and I used roadster rear leaf mounts to get the rear leaf eye as close to the frame as I could.

520/521 front leaf mounts on my 720 frame.

DSCN1560.JPG

Rear lifted off the ground using the roadster rear shackle mounts.

DSCN2106.JPG

Sitting on the ground.

DSCN2121.JPG

DSCN2126.JPG

DSCN2108.JPG

• Like 1

thanks for those pictures wayno!

the roaster shackle mount looks interesting.. i might end up doing something like that.

on another note, its time to pull the rear axle apart today. 

gonna try and put a new passenger side axle seal in, and im going to weld up the 3rd member this evening at a friends place. 

aiming at getting a set of 720 leafs here soon, so i can figure out how im gonna arrange the leafs in the pack. 

im off to get the truck in the air.

more to come

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

time for an update... 

went racing again last saturday.. ended up running slower all around.

just like i expected, it has wicked axle wrap issues with now that he axle is welded.

and in leaving he line one time, it puked the rubber from the carrier bearing leaving it rubbing the crossmember.. 

waiting for the jack..

20140614_213515_zpsnevdac5n.jpg

sooo, i tried to fix that yesterday. went to the pick a part, found a bearing with a good rubber on a 720.

20140619_122425_zps5saz1ihs.jpg

20140619_124211_zpsxzaikhkm.jpg

stupid me didnt measure the length of the 720 piece vs the 620 piece. come to find out its an inch too long. stupid me goes back to the yard and gets the rear half of the driveline thinking its gonna be an inch shorter to compensate.

nope. took that back and tried to find another prop shaft that would be 40.25in, but no luck.. 

i have $70 credit at the yard now, and i ordered a new bearing/rubber... im hoping it gets here tomorrow like it says it should. 

but now ive bought my 720 leafs. theres a 720 with the axle aready gone, so im gonna knab those since 2/3 of the work is done.. 

hopefully ill have it put together and drving on monday.. we'll see. 

more to come...

• Like 1

Your lucky that is all that broke, it could have taken out the transmission tail housing when it almost yanked the yoke out of the housing.

Axle wrap is a nasty thing, if you continue to have issues, maybe a one piece driveline will fix it, your low enough.

Perhaps you can put in a bar that goes from the top of the axle to the frame like the 2000 Datsun roadsters have to fix that issue.

• Like 1

okie dokie... 

got some shit done.. a lot of 1 step forward and 2 steps back shit... 

so the carrier bearing showed up on saturday like they said it would. shout out to rockauto.com for coming through when it really counted... 

its nice..

20140621_145229_zpsuhzik2ln.jpg

tore my prop shaft apart at the shop on sunday..

20140622_113401_zpsfwkvt8n4.jpg

tapped the bearing on, put the yoke back on and impacted it back down... 

20140622_120027_zpskuxjmcus.jpg

20140622_120033_zpskkbx0rbk.jpg

20140622_120042_zpsphympsnr.jpg

its very nice! got it tossed back in the truck.. im gonna get back under there and put a 1 inch spacer under it. i need to tweak one of the pieces that holds the ring. they dont grip the ring as tight as id expect.

so, i had to get a new tire today too.. one of the cores in the bead broke, and the bead went to shit. tire was no good. this new one doesnt have the same look as the other brand do.. meh.. who cares.. same size, its all good. 

20140623_1717482_zps5dwhssh0.jpg

20140623_1718072_zpsc8ha0fxu.jpg

20140623_1725402_zpsehfwslym.jpg

20140623_172938_HDR2_zpswticixl1.jpg

lol, i like pictures... 

anyways.. i have the 720 leafs now too.. gonna get those setup here one of these days after work. gonna get a new allen bolt for the center pin bolt. might try to put em in next weekend if i have some time.. 

yes...

20140623_1416012_zpsy9rgxzex.jpg

more to come... 

• Like 1

back again... 

everything is holding together pretty well the last couple days.. 

tested the compression on this single cam for the first time in owning it. from front to back it has 125, 135, 140, 130. 

i wish i knew how many miles this KA had really.. its holding up pretty well.

went to hang out the other night with the thick metal car guys.. lol

20140627_204346_zps9exceeer.jpg

20140627_204329_zpsk3utfssr.jpg

20140627_204210_zpsw3m6izbu.jpg

we've been playing around with rory's truck too... got it running right now. 

20140627_011038_zpscvj2edaj.jpg

20140627_010931_zpsypfjag6t.jpg

big butt, so what...

20140628_202500_Pano_zpspulbuqdl.jpg

• Like 2

"dear truck diaries..." lol.. that what my wife say when she sees me posting on here... hahaha

i got the 720 leafs in the truck.. they turned out really well. very firm, but thats what its needed the whole time now. 

20140629_133250_zpsodygt3im.jpg

20140629_130728_zpslytuugrw.jpg

hes everywhere and nowhere at the same time... lol

put the over load with the dampers on the top of the pack.. again, its pretty tuff now. i had jason, fernando and myself in the back, and still had room to run my fingers under the fender lips. 

soooo, i might substitute the shorter overload later on to see if thats any better. im really pleased with the way it makes the truck handle now.. hardly and body roll now. makes the wimpy torsion bars stand out..

now, it did end up a little higher this go round... im gonna build a new set of blocks since these 3inchers are kinda falling short now..

20140629_161653_zpshudblhvy.jpg

20140629_161709_zpsxxy4gj7l.jpg

i want a set of jrock blocks.. *cough cough* lol.. im gonna have to fab a set up here soon... i want to go back down about an inch. maybe just 3/4in..

20140629_133355_zpszesotb2p.jpg

we got all the datsuns... people are starting to call us the 620keepers... hahaha

20140629_2130192_zpsouex9rjm.jpg

cuz racecar?

• Like 4

Just get a set of rear roadster shackle mounts and do what I did, that will get you your one and a half inch drop easy.

The stock leaf mount on the left with the leaf mount point about 5 1/2 inches down from the bottom of the frame, while the roadster left mount point on the right is about 1 3/4 inches down from the bottom of the frame, this would be about a 2 inch drop at the center of the fender well.

DSCN2113.JPG

Another angle

DSCN2121.JPG

I did have to make the shackle itself shorter, you can see the weld lines if you know what your looking for.

My 520 is on a 720 frame, so that might change some things, this is just to give you ideas.

You can also mount your shackle mount in the frame itself, that's a lot more work than the way I did it.

i dont know anyone around here that has a set of those roaster mounts sitting around.. 

the only one i can think of would be kim at idaho z car.. hes by appointment only also... kinda of a pain in the ass. 

wayno, you got an extra set? ill buy em off ya for a reasonable price...

i dont know anyone around here that has a set of those roaster mounts sitting around.. 

the only one i can think of would be kim at idaho z car.. hes by appointment only also... kinda of a pain in the ass. 

wayno, you got an extra set? ill buy em off ya for a reasonable price...

I am looking around for another set myself, I had that set up in the attic for years.

Lots of guys up north talking about parting out roadsters(roadster guys), but none will even return my inquiries about the shackle mounts.

I think they know what I do with them and don't like it.

• Like 1