My 77 KC 620

Farmer Joe

back at it again... 

finally got an oil pressure gauge installed on the KA.. had it more than a year and never care to see if it had good pressure.

in any case, got the good copper line to hook it up.. used the old gauge ive had since my 1st isuzu. 

fired it up and it works well still.. woot!

from dead cold this is idle..

20140805_104111_HDR_zpsp9uec6y3.jpg

and what we have after idle... 

20140805_104127_HDR_zpswy4wfzdc.jpg

when its hot it idles at 15-20 psi, and will still pop up to 80ish sometimes when you rev it up.. i have 20w50 in it right now cuz it sounded like it was low on pressure. just lots of timing chain noise now more than ever. 

with how good the pressure is, im wondering if i do need to run 20w50 in it.. i might be able to use 15w40 or 10w40 instead.

i did pop the valve cover off, and let it idle when it was hot. the curved tensioner wobbles and most of the time leans more toward the timing cover.. i noticed the chain is riding on the very back edge of the tensioner side guide.. 

im kinda regretting that cheap timing kit, but the NAPA kit at my work is the same parts exactly.. sooo, im wondering what to do with this engine now.. 

im thinkin about riding this out and seeing how long it will last.. id like to get a transmission next. been eyeballin the hardbody c-type transmissions at the yard, and theres a few that feel pretty good. 

more to come with that...

on another note, weve been working on this pile of awesome... 

20140803_162148_HDR_zpsr3gfbte3.jpg

20140803_162354_HDR_zpslxoa8jlb.jpg

20140803_164030_HDR_zpsez8isgfn.jpg

and a picture of the truck... cuz its my truck..

20140803_161526_HDR2_zpszg2czx6m.jpg

• Like 5
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

soooo, i have another engine swap in the works..

obvious v8 is obvious? 

its an 010 block 350.. not sure if its a 2 or 4 bolt block.. its still in the back of the truck right now. gonna try and get it on a stand tomorrow to at least see what ive got.. 

plan in my head is the 350, t5 and keep the stock rear end. low compression, and just a mild lumpy sounding cam.. im also on the hunt for a 3.36 h190 pumpkin. ill settle for 3.54s tho..

ive been toying with the idea of putting a 720 steering box in it too. use the 720 box, idler center link and run my tierods back in. my idea was to cut the stock steering column just after it pokes out the firewall. you know, leave it with part of the shaft exposed to weld a small ujoint onto. id like to find a sealed bearing that has the same OD and ID as the steering column tube and shaft. tap that in and use a set screw to keep it in place. id have to get rid of that big rubber grommet where the column passes through the firewall. replace that with a piece of sheetmetal so it can support the steering shaft now its been cut.

it wold give more room for the exhaust on that side, and its an upgrade to a better steering box too. i should even be able to do power steering. this engine came with a good PS pump still mounted. 

the next big this in this swap would be the firewall work i would have to do.. i loathe pulling dashes. i wish i could find the old hooker firewall templates from the kit they used to sell.

what i see in my head is the portion.of the firewall being moved back like 2 1/2in around the engine. gonna have to look into the area around the distributor more when i get there. id like to be able to get the dist in an out without pulling the engine. soooo, we'll see how that goes. 

and then along with doing this engine swap, im getting rid of the torsion bars.. goin to get some coil springs worked out similar to a mustang II frontend. 

prolly finish the summer with the KA and collect all the parts i need. gonna try to get another job making a little more cash, so hopefully i can roll this thing to canby next year full on v8 speed speed... kinda crazy, but i can do it..

more to come.. 

• Like 3

Let me know what you're doing with the KA, maybe we can drop it in my 510

for sure man.. im sure we could get something worked out.. its rear sump, so that might be a hiccup for a 510, but i dunno... it needs a rebuild too... 

i changed the thread title.. more like, updated it...

picked up some more parts for the swap today.. got the t5, a bellhousing and a driver side ram horn manifold.

20140813_215759_zpstlv1wr4s.jpg

20140813_215747_zpsfhh3hrmb.jpg

20140813_215725_zpsa1k4yt5v.jpg

gonna use a 9in clutch on it from an 85 astro van.. while its only the 1in input shaft t5, itll hold up in the light pickup for a while.. ive seen a lot of accounts of the small input box being used in tri fives all the way up into fullsize pickups. its not gonna be anything ill speed shift, but its gonna hold up fine in the 2500lb datsun.. im gonna be on the lookout for a 230 or 250 inline 6 flywheel since theyre neutral balanced and use the 9 in clutch.. im still looking for a clutch fork.. gotta find the right one for this bell that i got. id like to keep it hydraulic, so it might be tricky.. we'll see.

youll see later what im doin with just one ram horn manifold too. the passenger side exhaust us a secret for a little while more... need some more $$ lol...

i tried to take some of the grease off the 350.. got some of it off.. im not worried about it... clean engines are overrated. oh, its blue under all that mess too

tried to do some eyeballing to see whats gonna fit where.. firewall and cowl will be fun.

20140810_123510_zps5q5k0bo7.jpg

20140810_123409_zpsrnia8hya.jpg

20140810_123356_zpsu7ukgr61.jpg

20140810_113924_zpsyu7nqqdr.jpg

with the parts i have, i could start doing the mock up.. im gonna try and make a few more local meets with it, but round october its probably comin apart.

more to come...

• Like 4

for sure man.. im sure we could get something worked out.. its rear sump, so that might be a hiccup for a 510, but i dunno... it needs a rebuild too...

I got a 620 that I've been debating doing a ka swap into. So if it don't work out with him I could very possibly be persuaded to take it off your hands. And anything else you would be willing to part with for the swap ^_^

ya just keep raising the bar  :thumbup:

ha! dont know if its raising the bar or not... lol

so ive figured out what flywheel ill need to use.. i looked up what v8 chevy used the 9 1/8 clutch at work.. the monza back in the 70s with the 262ci v8 used the same size disk for the clutch. checked what else that flywheel for the car fits, and the list was never ending. pretty much the overall standard for the GM manual trans. everything has em, so im gonna hit up the yard here soon and yoink one from a chevy pickup or somethin...

more to come..

• Like 1

I bet that V8 will make the front moar lower .... :cool:

probably... lol

ive got springy parts that with remedy that... i think  :blink:  :blink:

i will be getting rid of the torsions once i get to putting the chevy in. ive got a set of coils im gonna work into the frontend sorta like a mustang 2 kit..

You can do it ! I can send ya any pictures that would help , and I think I still have a number of a guy in California that was making the firewall piece for the 620. I will pm you his #

thanks man! 

not sure if im gonna go with the bubble or not.. with how much i want to set the engine back, i might just be going custom.

i have some more motivation from the wife to get mine done now too... 

wanna see why?

20140818_183311_HDR_zps630seb6o.jpg

20140818_184138_HDR_zpseigopw37.jpg

20140818_185719_HDR_zpswkhrnnjo.jpg

its a 67 RL411. came with a r16 with dual SUs and a 3 speed BW auto from the factory.. its the wifes car. in her name and everything. may or may not end up with a KA.

prolly wont post anymore than this on the 411... expect it at canby next year.

back to V8 business.

shits getting real now..

20140817_195525_HDR_zpssmopzilx.jpg

20140817_195748_HDR_zpshv4ftdpl.jpg

20140817_195700_HDR_zpsfkp5mtbe.jpg

more to come...
  • Like 3

Damm Niel your on a roll..& i thought i was buried in projects LoL.. Kool 411 btw..

hahaha, right? might have a little more than i can chew, but itll be okay.. 

the 411 is a neat little thing.. angelia's already started workin on it, so we'll see how it goes..

• 1 month later...

welp, been a minute since ive been here.

sold the v8 and the 5 speed parts already.. had a friend in need, and made a few bucks off it, soooo....

decided to focus on the front suspension of the truck again. ive got a set of coil springs and adjusters that im gonna use so i can get rid of the torsions. 

dont have alot of pics right now.. im at work and cant really upload to PB right now. 

more to come later...

• Like 2

^^ hahaha

yeah, story of my life.. lol

well i finally uploaded all my pictures from the last couple weeks.. 

lets see... i re-did the rear shock mounts a few weeks ago. they hung way too low and finally drug the stud of my shock.. 

heres what we have now.. 

20140912_175801_HDR_zpscylqlqhw.jpg

20140912_175817_HDR_zpsngsdjbxy.jpg

20140912_175827_HDR_zpsjoj0jnzk.jpg

took them up like an inch and a half. put some new stock shocks on it.. rides pretty well. id still like to have adjustables since the springs are pretty stiff. but meh, its better than it was. 

finally got the 411 in the garage too.. 

20140912_123940_HDR_zpse2bxtjo0.jpg

20140912_151002_HDR_zpsnzp2czwh.jpg

oh yeah.. i changed the starter on the truck too.. 

check this out!

20140922_190334_HDR_zpsplijwbwz.jpg

and then just a bunch of pics of the truck...

20140916_094723_HDR2_zpsr4l0rrep.jpg

20140916_094631_HDR2_zpsrignppzy.jpg

20140916_094600_HDR2_zpssgf9vnry.jpg

20140912_180256_HDR2_zpsgpdlvmej.jpg

• Like 1

Drug is not the past tense of drag any more than scrawd is the past tense of screw. Two cars did not have a drug race. They dragged or did drag race. Dragged or did drag is correct. Form the sentence to fit these two versions.

Oh Damn. No wonder you dragged one of them

Oh Damn. No wonder, I can see how you did drag one of them