Just out of curiosity

Has anyone ever tried to mate two L20s into a V8? Is this just way too out of the box? I think it would be neat, but definitely a work of art. Don't know what crank you would use either, although I thought maybe a small V8 crank would work?

Just thinking out loud.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol! Yeah, I was just thinking "how hard could it be?" ;) Would definitely be neat. Probably much more effort than desired. But if that one dude could spend 10 years or whatever building a scale model Ferrari, then what the hell, right?

Old or not, you can't possibly tell me that isn't just a sweet idea! I've thought of it many times.

Common mike, the L series isn't THAT old of technology. I apply everything I've learned playing with these little motors into my everyday work and find it very helpful.

Plus, the KA is a direct link back to the L motor!

I have seen engines coupled together and using a custom camshaft and crankshaft, and while it would be neat to see, it would be a long motor and very expensive. A V8 would be even more pricey, because you would have to design a way to couple the inline 4's into a single v block, sounds easier than it is.

unless a Z car has enough room for an inline 8, I don't think it would be a worthwhile project. if there are any old Datsun cars with a long enough engine bay, it would be a VERY cool project, just would take a ton of money...and lets be honest, with all of the machining involved to make a 8 cylinder L series, you would have plenty of money to build a custom intake and exhaust manifold and tons of go fast parts for the L motor.

Another thing that would be a trip, is if you found a V8 with size specs close to a L series and grafted L parts to it...would be almost as difficult as trying to make 2 l20s into a v8, but still would be very unique.

ive been thinking of a r series cause its a pushrod motor u can flip one head around and have it be like a standard v8, intake in the center exhaust on the outside. block, crank and cam wood be some work tho.

• Like 1