Boaty's KA24DE 2DR

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks bro!

I had a lot of compliments on the swap this year. I appreciate it.. because I needed it. Had to kind of half-ass things to get it done in time, and with budget constraints... but next year I hope to have it all super pretty. I have some great ideas floating around in my head now, so a good chance this summer is going to be fruitful for the dime.

Can't wait to see everybody next year! I was able to put a lot of faces to names.

Obligatory Emma pics.

20120608_124925.jpg

20120610_110631.jpg

@ Josh - Thanks brother! I was actually suprised to hear the amount of feedback about the wheels... they took forever to get that way. Lots of work went into them... but I haven't polished them since LAST Canby. I forgot to before I left, and I didn't get a chance to at Canby. Next year I'll make sure they'll really shine. Thanks!

@ Dennis - The radiator is holding up great. It comes with a turbo cap (1.3 bar) so I assume they'd warranty it up to that pressure repeatedly. I'll be grabbing a 13# cap for it when I get around to it. So far it's actually over-cooling... on the freeway with a 180F thermostat, it runs right around 160 in cooler temps, 170 or so warmer. Just about perfect, but I'm going to slap a 195F thermostat in so I can keep it at temp. I'm using a 12" puller fan (came with the radiator) and a 10" pusher in the front (my old puller wired backwards... doesn't push much air...) and it hasn't crept very hot yet. The only downfall that I see is that the welds for the top plate are really cheezy. When I'm bored and have the time, I'm going to dremel them all smoothe and continue polishing as I did today. They're an eyesore.

But as far as people saying they suck blah blah china blah blah datsun blah blah ron davis... this thing hasn't presented me a single heating issue. My only bitch about it, is that one - the mounting procedure is kind of stupid. I think a better mounting aparatus should be made for these...

PS the drain plug works perfectly for my VW coolant temp switch for the radiator fans. Just had to teflon tape the *SHIT* out of the threads to prevent leakage, because apparently nobody in Grants Pass stocks an O-ring of the appropriate size that doesn't rip while installing. Teflon tape hasn't leaked a drop since.

Oh shit. Almost forgot..

I broke out the 4" buffing wheels and comound today. Was bored, and had an AC drill calling my name.

20120613_172258.jpg

Works in a pinch, but I am never going to do any excessive amounts of buffing without a die grinder and air. This drill thing is so slow. It really doesn't cut it (no pun intended). But with a little time and patience and finesse, it came out alright. Looks good at ten feet.

When I can find my tripoli, I'll get rid of the scratches left by the emery compound. But they're only noticable if you get right up in there.

PS Cast aluminum is such a bitch to polish. My only wish is to someday NOT find a metric ton of casting flaws. >.<

Freshy-Fresh.

Had a lot of people ask me about the wheels... thanks. But they were fugly!

So I spent an hour or so with a microfiber and some mothers. I'm going to give them a good hit with the buffing wheel some time this year, get all the ripples out. I want the faces to be mirrors.

freshpolish6-12.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Some pretties came in the mail today. =D

Now, I get to figure out a way to install them. I grabbed a spare instrument cluster (which is a white-needle with trip odometer!) to get a quick reference on what all needs to be done.... doesn't look like this will be easy, so I'm going to have to come up with some ideas here. If I had a bad stock tach, it would go smoother but I have a feeling I'll be hacking up a stock speedo cluster and making a whole piece that goes in front of it. Because there is no way I'm gonna get 3 3/8" gauges to fit in there easily.

I'll take a look tomorrow for a better idea though...

2012-05-07210225.jpg

Who makes this gauge set? It sure looks nice!

Aye. Thanks John!

Jeremy is getting back into it though! Don't think he wants a 510, he's been looking at a some Mazda pickups (ew..). I think he'd do well to get into a 620 king cab. Then we'd all be truck buddies, haha. I'm waiting for a good deal to pop up though,... wagon, 620 - whatever comes first. I have a decent engine, just need a 5 speed transmission and I'd be set! I'm really iffy on another 'project' car though. Would really like something with at least OK paint and interior, no or minimal rust. One project money pit is enough. I like your idea about a HL510 wagon though.. if it was clean I'd almost be down. But my heart will always be set on a PL wagon.

I almost bought a red king cab last year, had the money in hand the seller couldn't find the title, and gave up. He recently parted it out unfortunately... 90% solid, running truck with nice paint. Shame.

• 2 weeks later...

So I get to hunt down a new sedan antenna now.

Here. Time to rant.

1.) What the hell is up with people putting their feet on dashboards? MEN don't ever do this. But man, you get a woman in your car BAM right to the dashboard they go. It's not a fucking footrest. Especially bad when they wear shoes.

2.) I'm tired of having to clean my mirror after somebody rides in it. They see the wink mirror and like a small child - have to touch, and caress it with all their greasy ass fingers. Annoying.

3.) Greasy sweaty finger prints all over satin black paint... the hell?

4.) People can't seem to leave my antenna the hell alone. So now I get to hunt down a new sedan antenna, since mine was left all the way out and is now snapped off. The reason I keep the bloody thing down and not extended, is to keep this from happening. Two weeks ago, had to put it down. Canby? Had to put it down like 3 times. Last week? Noticed it was bent up from high speeds down yonder highway - so I put it down again. And now today I back out of my driveway and the bush grabbed it, and snapped the fucker right in half. Why? Because it was extended out, AGAIN.

Anybody else have these issues? I kind of want to get a sticker to put on my dash that says "This dash pad is more expensive than your shoes, and it's not a god damned footrest.". And one for the mirror "THIS IS NOT A TOUCHSCREEN".

The paint I can deal with, just annoying that I have to wash the damned car like 4 times a week. I never have this issue, lol, driver's side is always nice and clean. But passenger side dash always has foot/shoe prints, mirror has finger prints, antenna is always fucked with, and there are hand prints up and down the outside of the door, the roof, the A-Pillar....

So if somebody has a line on a new antenna that'd be great. Took me a year to find one last time, and ended up using an aftermarket base with an OEM screw in mast from some later model Datto. Very hard to find one that actually fits right.

• Like 1
Guest 510kamikazifreak

So I get to hunt down a new sedan antenna now.

Here. Time to rant.

1.) What the hell is up with people putting their feet on dashboards? MEN don't ever do this. But man, you get a woman in your car BAM right to the dashboard they go. It's not a fucking footrest. Especially bad when they wear shoes.

holster

• Like 1

Back in the day they used to have stick-on antenna's you put on your windshield. I might be able to find one similar? I know they make stick on modular defrosters so I can't imagine not being able to find a good *FM* antenna. The stock antenna's don't work all that great regardless.

Wish Datsun put the antenna's in the windshields like older GM's... those work great!

These issues are all easily solved by doing 1 thing. Removing your passenger seat. By doing this you solve the feet-on-dashboard problem and the greasy fingerprints problem. Also, you will no longer need a stereo to drown out the mindless drivel coming from the person in said seat and therefore you will not need an antenna!

You can thank me later.

• Like 1

I bought an antenna from Datsunlandsocal a year ago. I know... but it works really well, as in very little static if any, and it was cheap, and it has survived ever since then with me driving. I never put my antenna down.

I would probably put my antenna down if it was on the drivers side...

• 2 weeks later...

Lol it's amazing how slow my thread has become since I got the KA running and driving... now that it's back on the road I'm too busy driving to get on Ratsun and post updates.

But if everything pans out tonight and tomorrow, I may be picking up a king cab. Here's to hoping.

Lol it's amazing how slow my thread has become since I got the KA running and driving... now that it's back on the road I'm too busy driving to get on Ratsun and post updates.

But if everything pans out tonight and tomorrow, I may be picking up a king cab. Here's to hoping.

my thread did the same thing it was posted in every day for 8 months while i went from shell to running car but after that it kinda died

It drives alright, still need another ECM to see if I can get rid of some quarks it has. But for the most part it runs nice. Decent mileage if I keep my foot out of it, and I need to move up to a hotter t-stat. With the CX Racing rad, on the highway it runs about 165ish with a 180 thermostat, and fluctuates up to temp and back down. On the freeway not so much. I am in the process of acquiring another project at the moment so we'll see what happens with that.