Boaty's KA24DE 2DR

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks!

So it's too dark to take photo's tonight... but I laid out all the Low-E insulation this afternoon. All I have left is the back half of the floor boards and if I feel randy, I might do the trunk.

I've always had an issue with the trunk getting hot on the driver's side (near the muffler). This should alleviate that issue.

So different topic from insulation.. I had a moment of panic regarding my battery being in the trunk. I know I'm paranoid about it... but all I can imagine is getting rear ended and that battery shooting into the gas tank. Bah, now I'm almost REQUIRED by myself to box in the trunk.. has anybody done this before? I've seen some nice trunks but never anything filled in/boxed in and such.. please share pictures if you have any!

Anyways, this Low-E stuff. It's 3/16" thick closed cell foam with a double foil backing, rated for high temps. Same stuff you see people putting under their hoods to protect paint, etc. I'll be doing this to mine whenever I get around to having the 510 painted. (some day... some day...) It's SUPER easy to work with, I was impressed. Nothing in a 510 is perfectly square, so when you're doing carpet or something it becomes a problem with contours and you have to cut reliefs in - not really that bad with this stuff. It's stretchy enough to take up the slop. I used a bit of spray adhesive on the edges and an X of it in the middle to keep it in place. My carpet kit should be here this week (Thanks, Mario!) and then I can get the seats back in and the interior should be complete. It does an excellent job of keeping heat out (and in), so I thought I'd give it a shot. I was getting very annoyed with my feet burning off because the exhaust is so close to the floorboards.. this should fix that!

I will give it a good recommendation. It's cheap, it's good, and it's super light weight. Knocks down a good amount of sound, as well. (Doesn't dampen panels, use DynaMat, etc. for that, under this foam.)

Comes in 4x10ft rolls (40sq ft) and they ship priority (purchased Thursday, was here Monday morning from the opposite side of the country from me.)

You can buy it here: http://www.lobucrod.com/ <-- support local business!

And before somebody even mentions it - no, you cannot buy this at Home Depot/Lowes. The stuff they sell there is flimsy bubble wrap pressed with two pieces of foil. This stuff is closed-cell foam. Don't even compare.

Also: That insulation does wonders. Ran the car earlier before my post about the EZ-Cool insulation. Had the heater on to get it nice and warm inside. Went back out a few minutes ago - it's still warm(er) than outside.. very nice.

I think I might just go ahead and do the doors as well and hold off on the trunk, for which I'll get another roll unless I miraculously have material left over.

I rode in an SR car, that was fun.

I rode in a VG30DETT car, that was just insane.

I'm hoping the KA is somewhere in between fun and crazy, if it's more on the fun side then I'm okay with that. The L20B was just semi-fun, no super fast stunter but she did just fine. I have a feeling I'll be replacing my super good 60' time for a better 1/4 mile now, was definitely nice to pull a sub 2.0s 60' on street tires... think I'll have too much torque without slicks to pull that off, haha.

I suppose I'll now be in the range of power where good tires are a must +1 instead of a nice addition. 'Course, I'm not 17 anymore... super cool street racing, blowing welds on the intake isn't as fun as it used to be (what the hell was I thinking?!)

• Like 1

That it did! Your place a couple times, Portland numerous times. all the Canby trips, hunting in central Oregon, the coast a million times, insert a couple hundred dirt roads here, passed a couple 4x4's in the mud, pulled an S10 out of a ditch in the snow, 13" of snow with chains, and I'm sure my number of donuts is in the triple digits. Several drag nights at the strip, once around the Enduro track in Medford all to my self,... not to mention all the camping trips,... and I did take it places I shouldn't have. ^_^

You succeeded in making me nostalgia. So, here are a bunch of old pics & some video's to share. (Had to dig them out of the depths of 2TB of hard drive, unsorted >.<)

100_0950.jpg

101_0163.jpg

DonutSteve.jpg

IlliniosRiver4-13-071.jpg

IlliniosRiver4-13-072.jpg

IlliniosRiver4-13-076.jpg

IMG_5329.jpg

IMG_4931.jpg

IMG_5337.jpg

IMG_5343.jpg

Lolcodylol (68Datsun510)

IMG_5342.jpg

IMG_6844_1_2_3.jpg

IMG_6677.jpg

IMG_6571_2.jpg

IMG_5376.jpg

Shasta20061.jpg

TriptoPortland8.jpg

Before Shasta back in '03 (Lou, I see your car in my driveway. Lol.)

PreShasta20038.jpg

PreShasta20035.jpg

PreShasta20036.jpg

PreShasta200320-1.jpg

th_StevesDonuts.jpg

th_IllinoisRiver200632.jpg

Yeah, baby!

StrutSchlong.jpg

3Wheelingit.jpg

^_^ Even got to see skinny-Steve. Haha.

So update... new ECU is in. She runs on 4 cylinders! Like CRAP!

God damnit if something can go wrong, it's going to with this car. Bad MAF afterall, so, new MAF is on it's way courtesy of RockAuto. If it comes tomorrow, if I'm lucky, I'll get it into the exhaust shop friday if I can. I really wanna drive this damned car again! Gas mileage in the truck is horribad. Been bouncing off my credit limit for over a year and this gas shit isn't helping.

Speaking of gas... have to go buy more for the dime and the lawn equipment today. Carpet should be here tomorrow. If I'm super lucky my next-day-air MAF will be here tomorrow, as well... and on Friday I can drive it to the exhaust shop and this weekend, go for a drive! If not, well I guess I'll have to wait til next week. Bah.

At the moment I'm going to just run 2" exhaust. I hate to do it, but, whatever... can't afford the time or money to rip the entire rear crossmember out to have it modded for a larger exhaust right now. So my 2" will just have to do for now.

2" will do just fine. Your not doing anything worse than nissan has.

Sadly i doubt youll see that shit till monday. its next day from the time they ship it. Not from the time you order it...

Well as long as it's here before the weekend it's all I'm concerned with. That way I have the weekend to tinker with things and get her running good, and finish up the little shit here and there. This includes driving it and seeing what needs adjusted/fixed, etc. I am probably going to have to get another alignment since I removed the front crossmember (hoping it didn't change anything, but we'll see).

And I'm aware it's next day from when they ship it. It'll probably go out tomorrow and end up here Friday. I have a tracking number, it just hasn't been checked in at a facility yet. We'll see... Friday works. Monday will just annoy me, at that rate I could have just shipped priority. Lol.

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Before Shasta back in '03 (Lou, I see your car in my driveway. Lol.)

PreShasta20038.jpg

PreShasta20035.jpg

PreShasta20036.jpg

PreShasta200320-1.jpg

Steve

Still shaking my head that was 9 years ago :thumbup:

• Like 1

Crap forgot to type part of my post... >.<

The exhaust... I want to run 2.25" all the way back. Seems to be the preference with anything <3.0L. I want to keep some backpressure and I do NOT want this thing to be loud. Stock exhaust size for a 240sx I BELIEVE is 2.25" so it would be standard. If it's 2", great. I'll just have him re-work the bends so they no longer contact the half shaft at full droop, and I'll have him do it in 2.25" instead of 2" to make up for the cross section difference. Should work out alright. If I could fit 2.25 through the stock crossmember without it rattling all over the damned place, I would. We'll see what my exhaust guy says. If he can open it up to a larger size on the vehicle, that would be great.. I'm not sure how good of a torcher he is. He'll probably want it outside the car (which... eff that.)

My concern is going to be freeway driving and losing gas mileage and power at speed. My original exhaust for the L20B once had a nice big kink in it from bottoming out the car. Just barely ovaled out the pipe... was very noticable on the freeway. When I put my resonator in, it was a VERY noticeable difference on the highway. Around town didn't make a difference. Just felt like it couldn't breath at higher RPM is all... the KA should be a lot lower RPM though.. no more truck .86:1 overdrive. When the posi gets rebuilt (whenever the hell that's going to be) it'll even be better.

I'm still shaking my head that I ever had it in gray primer. YUCK.

I can't WAIT until I get my car painted... it's the biggest down fall of my car. New seals, new paint.. I'll be happy with everything else.

Guest 510kamikazifreak

I'm still shaking my head that I ever had it in gray primer. YUCK.

I can't WAIT until I get my car painted... it's the biggest down fall of my car. New seals, new paint.. I'll be happy with everything else.

Yeh primer is primer,

.. one thing about nice paint tho, hard to keep it that way.. parking lots are a no no ..