Boaty's KA24DE 2DR

I'm diggin the swassi's. I too have a set... I'm using the wrong center caps, though - but they work.. kind of. Really want a set of original center caps but can never find them, and the two times they pop up - they want like $100 for them. Not worth that much to me.

I picked up the set I have now last year at Canby for $20, has a little flaky plasti-chrome, but whatever. Looks good from 20 feet.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 510kamikazifreak

I'm diggin the swassi's. I too have a set... I'm using the wrong center caps, though - but they work.. kind of. Really want a set of original center caps but can never find them, and the two times they pop up - they want like $100 for them. Not worth that much to me.

I picked up the set I have now last year at Canby for $20, has a little flaky plasti-chrome, but whatever. Looks good from 20 feet.

You had swazis on it last year :sneaky:

Mine were on the blue 4dr at Canby 08, you were graping them :rofl: :thumbup:

Hehe. Yep.

I've had Swasiz for a few years actually. Probably my favorite OE wheel.

Not to say I wouldn't mind a set of panasports. Or Rewinds (if I could make them fit without hideous flares)

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Hehe. Yep.

I've had Swasiz for a few years actually. Probably my favorite OE wheel.

Not to say I wouldn't mind a set of panasports. Or Rewinds (if I could make them fit without hideous flares)

They are my favorite factory wheel.. :thumbup:

The snowflakes looked ok,but swazis make it all that better.

Im liking some of the jdm wheels that are appearing now :w00t:

Oh man.

Lookie what I found today.

Here's the story.

I bought a used ECU, because originally my old ECU throws Code 12 (bad maf) and ran on 3 cylinders. Wiring checked out mint, so I figured ECU was the cause - and it was. The new ECU runs on 4 cylinders but just DUMPS fuel. Like mad amounts of fuel.

I bought a new MAF sensor (reman) and it didn't make any change (this is after I put the new ECU in). Jimmies officially rustled. The wiring is good, everything checks out fine btu the bloody thing just runs like garbage!

So, I checked voltages at the MAF plug after tearing the MAF harness up to check the wiring - which checked out fine, but I have +12V on the power wire (black/white), +10.5V on teh ground wire (center black) and +11V on the signal wire (white). What the hell? Swapped the ECU's back out, voltage is gone. O.O

Put the new ECU back in.. voltage across the board again. Man, another bad ECU?

Well took the cover off the ECU and this is what I found :(

badecu.jpg

Holy mother of burned trace batman! Conveniently, the MAF ground pin. So, looks like I'm on the hunt for a new ECU again.

In addition, this is what I found further in the harness. This harness was done up by Danny Youngs years ago, btw. I'm not sure he does wiring services any longer... maybe this has something to do with it? (This is the ECU temp sensor wiring)

tempsensor1.jpg

There are TWO strands connecting this wire now. (This is why I don't support soldering wires on automotive apps without a crimp connection.. this is why.)

The solder makes a brutal weak point where the unsoldered wire meets the end of the solder wick. This is why anything susceptable to vibration requires a crimp connector on the wire-end of a connection, and the bridge should be soldered between the ends of the crimps. Basic theory here folks. Solder just causes any flex in the wire to break right at the solder wick. Proof in picture.

tempsensor2.jpg

There is no excuse for this however. Solder bridge between the two wires!

tempsensor3.jpg

Needless to say I am scared.

Back to the drawing board.

tempsensor2.jpg

badecu.jpg

Holy mother of burned trace batman! Conveniently, the MAF ground pin. So, looks like I'm on the hunt for a new ECU again.

In addition, this is what I found further in the harness. This harness was done up by Danny Youngs years ago, btw. I'm not sure he does wiring services any longer... maybe this has something to do with it? (This is the ECU temp sensor wiring)

Boaty, that trace can be repaired pretty easily if you want to salvage the ECU.

Considering the way it broke, I'm not sure that a trace would fix the underlying problem.

I am assuming that at some point in it's previous life, it was shorted out some how. How it managed to short out where it did, I'll never know.

While soldering it would be an idea, I'd rather just replace it with something that I know works instead of something I know has already failed once.

Bonvo - you know, right now I'm really not certain if I'll make it in Emma or not.

Cody said I could ride with him since he is passing through anyways. I would hate to miss Canby - half the fun is driving there and chillen. Plus I have lots of new goodies to show off, etc. That accounts for some fun as well! I have a lot of people expecting me, so hopefully I'll make it. I am just tired of running into set back after set back here... I should have been back on the road months ago! But alas... have to finish things before she's road worthy.

I am worried I may have to do a head gasket. I MAY just run some snake oil to make the trip north and do the headgasket later. I hate the thought but, a head gasket and a head job blah blah is not in my budget at the moment. Not that it's hard, it's just more money I'd rather not shell out right now if I can make it a bit longer with a bandaid. She foams a little bit out of the bleeder screw, and I'm hoping it doesn't get any worse.

Once I get the car running again, I get to take it down for exhaust. After that I get to put some miles on it to figure out all the litlte bugs here and there, before I'll trust it all the way to Canby. I'd hate to break down half way there or half way back. If I break down at Canby, at least I have a large support group to help me out! It gets quite annoying doing everything solo. Not many Datsun peeps here in Southern Oregon that are KA friendly or 510 friendly for that matter. :/

I shall try though! Rush rush rush!

Molson's Canadian, not just beer.

It's like.. the only beer that's even good warm. You canuck-moose-bangers up there know how to brew, I'll give that to ya! Now make a weather machine and take back all your friggin' rain!

You'll get to go Cody. You've made it almost every year since you started going. No excuses. Tell them to kick rocks if they say no! You've had this RO'd for months!

Laid down the rest of the insulation and the carpet is ready to be fitted. Figured I'd post pictures prior. And you guys can't have pictures of my seats... pieces of shit APC seats need to go so bad. Saving up for Corbeau A4's, probably go with wides since I'm a fatty mc fatty-fat. Just have to see if they'll fit or not.

_MG_9509.jpg

_MG_9508.jpg

_MG_9507.jpg

Drove it today. Holy mother of shit balls... 55mph comes REALLY quick.

I have a feeling a posi is going to be a REQUIREMENT to drive this thing safely if I ever get on it. Feels just about like my buddies 5.0 foxbody, he ran a 14.4 I believe. I guess we'll see when I get to the track after I get the posi rebuilt and back in. Holy fun!

In other news... insulation is done, carpet is in, just have to tack it down in the last few corners and install the seat rails, mount the ECU... should be done aside from fixing the temp sensor shit and re-wrapping the MAF wiring.

• Like 1

well she took her first pre canby trip this weekend! i drove her up to elkton on saturday for my good buddies wedding. today i drove from there to U. of O. to drop a friend off, and then back to gp. no leaks just a lot of vibration due to poly engine mounts.. and i managed 29.8mpg with the temp sensor disconnected, and i was kinda scooting along. i am in love... finally back in an affordabklle car again!!!