Canby 2012: Are we there yet?

wildmaninid

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope ..only if your going to the buffet or entering the Sunday car show ..The people they have at the gate are very friendly and will help you out..Actually they will encourage you to stay the night.

You still are at the car show you just park with the rest of us ,,not quite show cars.

(edit) since you have a 510 you could probably even sign up for the car show at the gate,, if you wanted to..cuz theres always enough of those to have a category..

my car will be in the show dont know if ill win anything but i can dream cant i?

last year I did not bring my Datsun because it was so far from being done I was embarrassed...I am used to the car shows I go to with my dad, so we brought his '72 Monte Carlo instead. I looked around and realized, that there were plenty of project cars...and that was what a good portion of the show was about, showing your progress...talking to other datto owners about where their car (and your car) had been and how far it had come.

I regretted not bringing my Datsun out, the few local datto owners I had met at local meets were asking where it was, and when I found a cheap door and trunk at the swap meet, I had to pass, because I had no where to haul them and they would not fit in the Monte's trunk.

Maybe if this local community was different, I would recommend not showing your car, but I remember seeing enough works-in-progress last year to make me think that it isn't going to matter and I doubt anyone will care if your car is "show quality" by others standards. I may even show mine this year, even though it is still a long way from finished.

Who cares if you win awards...it is all about the chance to see others cars, let others admire and/or critique your modifications.

there were plenty of project cars...and that was what a good portion of the show was about, showing your progress...

Pretty sure I told you this.

I'm excited i'm going to be there this year. And with some progress! It won't be much, but then again the best part is just seeing so many Datsuns in one place.

my car will be in the show dont know if ill win anything but i can dream cant i?

Im hoping to be at the stage where I can enter next year with hopes of at least placing (maybe?). I dont know what the classes are, but Im hoping theres something that I can compete in. I dont have much to do to get it where I want, so hopefully Ill be at the point where Im 90% satisfied with it this time next year. We shall see though. Im sure there will always be something I want to do.

Or I can always just buy another one and start all over again.

This will be the second year for the 710 goon, and it will be there but not in any show. Last year since Canby I dropped it down and added Maxima struts, zx seats. The body is still in need of paint but I'll wait till next winter and get it done in a shop. I'm chicken shit to rattle can it. You want to see someone who just wants to be there? Check out bonvo's thread. Maybe 2013 I'll enter the goon in the show.....

I saw you outside Napa Sunday.

Yeah, parents took us out for lunch. I haven't been out and about much, waiting for nice weather so I can pull the tarp off the wagon and get after it. Health took another downturn for a bit, and started to conflict with work, so I have been mostly laid off the last couple months. Been looking for other work and doing side jobs. Doctors want me on disability, but until I am unable to run a shovel I will keep trying to find some work.

If I am still without work by the time we start getting nice weather I may have my car almost done by Canby...I suppose that depends though, and even if it is almost finished, I will still have to pull the interior back out right after Canby if I am not working (because no job means no $ for window seals, and no leaving the new carpeting,ect in there to get ruined from water leaks).

last year I did not bring my Datsun because it was so far from being done I was embarrassed...I am used to the car shows I go to with my dad, so we brought his '72 Monte Carlo instead. I looked around and realized, that there were plenty of project cars...and that was what a good portion of the show was about, showing your progress...talking to other datto owners about where their car (and your car) had been and how far it had come.

I regretted not bringing my Datsun out, the few local datto owners I had met at local meets were asking where it was, and when I found a cheap door and trunk at the swap meet, I had to pass, because I had no where to haul them and they would not fit in the Monte's trunk.

Maybe if this local community was different, I would recommend not showing your car, but I remember seeing enough works-in-progress last year to make me think that it isn't going to matter and I doubt anyone will care if your car is "show quality" by others standards. I may even show mine this year, even though it is still a long way from finished.

Who cares if you win awards...it is all about the chance to see others cars, let others admire and/or critique your modifications.

I love having input on how I can get what I want to do done, not to mention all the cool ideas you see on others. Ratsun has took Canby over, and it thankfully reenforced the idea that no matter how imperfect or incomplete your Datto is, there is a whole hell of a lot of us that love your Datto just the way it is. Yes there are a lot of shiny and near showroom quality Dattos there, but the unfinished ones are more fun to mess with!! If your Datto is "done" you need to save another one! As far as trophies.. meh, if you want to, go for it, me na, I am there for the crew.

• Like 3