performance mods..

novita1021

so i decided to keep my L16 for a while till i finish restoring the body....the thing is i go street racing with my budies and they straight take off on me...:mad::(

what are some good cheap ways to give this little motor some grunt....:D

it has a 4 speed, a dual points dizzy and performance wires other than that the motor is completely stock to my knowledge...:o:o

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Compression check the motor. If it is low, fix that. Factory spec, 171 at 350 RPM, single carb L-16. Dual carb L-16, 242 at 350 rpm.

Three angle valve job, by someone who knows L-16 engines.

Put an L-20 B cam in it.

Try to get a "peanut" head.

Make sure the cam chain is not stretched.

Open up the exhaust. A header is not needed, but at least a 2" pipe to the back of the car. A loud muffler is not necessarly better.

Tune it up. Adjust the valves .001 or .002 tighter than normsal, but check them every oil change. Adjusting the valves tighter means there is less room for change before something gets damaged.

L-16 motors do not have a lot of low end grunt. Wind the thing up. It can live at 5000 rpm a long time. 6000 to 6500 a good shift point when you are in a hurry.

so i decided to keep my L16 for a while till i finish restoring the body....the thing is i go street racing with my budies and they straight take off on me...:mad::(

what are some good cheap ways to give this little motor some grunt....:D

it has a 4 speed, a dual points dizzy and performance wires other than that the motor is completely stock to my knowledge...:o:o

Try a battery tie down and a Ratsun timing light.:eek:

Just kidding....I have an L16 and the Weber helped alot. But considering the 4 speed is geared so low, you won't get anywhere very fast no matter what your engine does.(lots of top end but tops out at 55-65) Look into changing the rear end like mentioned above.

I am going to try the L20 cam idea myself. Let me know if you do that....how it works out.

Aaron

I think the L20 cam is a waist of time,Just my opinion HERE!

I think it would be faster to install the L20b instead if you have the clutch flywheel set up already.

early trucks have a low gear ratio. and really need a 5 speed. I know, mine is buzzy also above 65 mph

Hainz,

What can would you recommend for the L16 if say I were to replace the stock one? Would my Weber DGV still be a good fit??

I wish I could take my 5spd out of my 85' 200sx and put that into the 620.:D

Aaron

this guy said buy a honda...lol....:blink:

well a budie of mine that has a 90 EF SI has a 5 speed, A87 head, weber 32/36 and a 4-1 header....hes the main head of the team im in and he said hell sell it to me all for about $230...

the carb needs a rebuild i think the head does to...the tranny he says is okay....are those parts worth it???

i want to go with the daul SU carbs cuz i have the manifold and one carb i just need one more....but yeah well this is all good to know stuff...thanx for the help...still could use more advise from datsun veterans though im new to datsun...lol...:o:D

well... with an L-series engine, you can spend $2000 on a new rebuild with performance parts and you'll still have a 16 second car. 125whp max.

Speed costs money. Technology is key. Most people just do an engine swap and go for a newer factory turbo motor if they want a really fast car.

I'd buy all that stuff for $230... Tell him you'll give him $200 for it first and see what he says :P

A junkyard would charge $100 for a head, and $100 for the trans... Make sure the head is a closed chamber head first before buying it, or it would be a waste of time buying another open chamber.

Try a battery tie down and a Ratsun timing light.:eek:

WTF??? no sticker recommendations :blink:

at least you wont be the one w/ the speeding tickets :lol:

spend the time and money on a motor that will compete w/em.

untill then, enjoy the ride :thumbup:

WTF??? no sticker recommendations :blink:

at least you wont be the one w/ the speeding tickets :lol:

spend the time and money on a motor that will compete w/em.

untill then, enjoy the ride :thumbup:

Come to think of it I put a Cherrybomb (aka fart cannon) sticker on my 200sx and gained -.25 horsepower. :fu:

well i was goin to go sr20de but my dad isnt helping me anymore....and my car is completely gutted out it has a roll cage and the two fromt seat...and it looks mean as hell but it doesnt run most guys dont even want to mess with me they want me to pop the hood but i say hell no is stock and they dont belive me...all the racers that i know hardly even mod their motors they just put headers and a pipe and think they run...but yeah i just want something for right know till i save up and buy the sr...i took a crx by half a car...in the long run...he took off on me but i cought him redlining 4rth gear..lol...:D:D

I'm stoked on finishing my truck and racing a friend... he's got a modified Civic. It actually pulls pretty hard... He was telling me what was done to it but all I remember is the racing clutch. It'd be fun to see if I could beat him in a pickup though...

you probably could...my friend took his dads work pick up it was a 87 toyota with a stock 22r and a 4 speed and whooped a honda si and he kepted up with a 2002 celica gt-s...

well yeah im just goin to do what i can and with the money i save up im goin ether sr20det or ka24det...:D:D:Dthen we'll see if a modified hatch can keep up...lol...sr with a garret t28 turbo tirbo headers high profomance clutch and direct port noz....:D:D:D

yeah thats right nismo at its finest...

hahaha....lol...:lol::lol:

well like i said my car is already gutted out i only have the driver and passenger seat the back seat is not there i so have a subwoofer but is that realy gonna make a difference i think it wieghts about 5 pounds...10 at most...:confused:

Come on guys this kid is real young. I remember being surrounded by gear heads at school and that was the most popular phrase 3var, "what mods you got?"

Street racing is fun for so long, until you get caught a few times and taught how much it can suck. I still have some B&W photos somewhere of when we all used to street race every friday and saturday night down by PDX; 82nd ave., marine drive, and airport business park. I got caught once but only because my friend flipped off the cop. If you would've seen the Starsky and Hutch move that cop pulled with his car, you would've decided against running too! peace.

novita1021 We want you around for a long time, so go easy. Start off small and work your way up as you gain experience and some years. Some of the shit I pulled off in my Dart back in the '70s is the stuff of legends to be told around camp fires long after I'm gone. :D How I survived to this day is beyond me. Skill only takes you so far and luck always runs out.