performance mods..

novita1021

Yeah, turbo would be tough... especially if you want to go with fuel injection, because then you've gotta work up a whole new head.

You could build a real nice high-revving L-Series motor though... I was considering that myself for a while, but the KA is a better fit for me right now. If you can, find a good shop and get them to do a bit of work to the head, then swap the cam and run sidedrafts like Datfish said. As for boring it out, there's not really much reason to... you'd have to replace the pistons and rings (which aren't cheap or easy to find, IIRC) and I don't think you'd get much from it... better to get the L20B block and use the L18 pistons in it... you'd bump the compression up slightly, and if you use the peanut head it'll come up to about 10.5, which you can still run on pump gas.

As for the performance clutch... I think the old roadsters are the way to go for that. IIRC, the clutch is a direct replacement but offers a lot more pressure... just decide whether or not you want to be dealing with a stiff pedal when you're trying to get to work in rush-hour traffic...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A roadster clutch will require a 200mm SIX BOLT flywheel. Good luck.

200mm flywheels:

'75-'77........710 L20B

'75-'76 .......610 L20B

'77-'79........200sx L20B

'80-'83........200sx Z20, Z22

'78-'81....... HL510 L20B, Z22

'67-'69........Roadster U20

'76-'78........280z Coupe

'79-'83........280zx non turbo Coupe

4 cylinder L series turbo is gonna be custom all the way.Requiring tons of skill or $$.Do the old schooly thang and cam it up with some side draft carbs.;)If you want 200+ hp slap in a twin cam vg or vg turbo(v6).That should blast some civics.

my 510 will keep up with single cam civics just fine its the twin cams that get me lol in less the person cant drive. i was zipping through trafic on the 5 the other day with a integra trying to keep up with me. he was faster in a straight line but my car corner better and could fit in smaller holes in traffic. i out drive him. when i got off the 5 i waved to him and he gave me a dirty look. probably because his friend was laughing at him because he got passed buy a 36 year old car

the best things i ever did to my l16 where el dizzy and a set of su's. after i put on the su's it was a different car i used to rev that l16 to 7000 all day long i beat the shit out of that moter and it always kept going the only reason i put in the l20 was because i didnot want to change the clutch on the l16 and the l20 had a new one. your l18 should be fun get the compression up to 10to1 and stick on some dual carb's you will have a blast. oh and get an lsd

If your looking for "bank for the buck" performance , setting a up a nitrous system and tuning it so you don`t blow up your motor is an art in itself. Nitrous is unforgiving running lean with stock pistons, thats why so many Hondas running it have rods sticking through the side of the block.

There is not a kit for an L series motor, you can piece together the parts needed to safely run nitrous. Depends on how fast of car you want, you could setup a port nitrous system on your L18 with the DGV Weber and do a cleanup port job on the head with a mild cam. Then you need someone to tune the car . Using a full throttle switch , clutch switch and a CDI ignition upgrade , some CDI ignitions provide a timing retard feature and others still have a rpm window switch. This keeps nitrous from activating below and above a certain rpm range. The fuel system is an area not to skimp on, using a deticated nitrous only system with a return style regulator is the safest way to go. Let me dig through my crap if your serious, I probably have some parts buried .

6bolt flywheel?? i have a roadster on my l18 and i have a five bolt pattern... it rund dweet.. and i can keep up with civivs and take a couple too :D l18. webber with bigger jets... redone exaust .. car breathes alot better.. oh and the 5speed i got a napz truck 5 speed and it feels so smooth and has torque:D../

6bolt flywheel?? i have a roadster on my l18 and i have a five bolt pattern... it rund dweet.. and i can keep up with civivs and take a couple too :D l18. webber with bigger jets... redone exaust .. car breathes alot better.. oh and the 5speed i got a napz truck 5 speed and it feels so smooth and has torque:D../

Yes, noob mistake, I was lost on the L20B engine. The L16/18 were 200mm 5 bolt. DUH!

well thanks 4 the advice guys...well im saving some money for the L18 build...what would be a good bottom end set up for that L18or should i just have it stock rebuild....im useing the A87 head that im having built by isky...

ohh how can i tell if the head is open or closed chamber???

lol....i do double clutch...but its cool i took my dads corvette sunday night and no one had shit to say to me this time...lol...if anything ima drop my spare 283 SBC in it from my old '65 chevy 2....dawm i miss that nova...:(