performance mods..

novita1021

thanks for the advise datzenmike...i am tryin to take it slow but everyone expects so much out of my lil car...witch is why i want to make it faster with out an engine swap...once i have enough money and the body is done i am goin to go SR..

but for know i would like to hook up the L16...

im going to that event on sunday maybe there they can give me some more advice on what i should do to the motor and pik up some stuff if any..

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it has a 4 speed, a dual points dizzy and performance wires other than that the motor is completely stock to my knowledge...:o:o

Ok, I'll throw out some advice based on what you said.

Good idea on saving your money for an SR20DET swap. Also, while you're saving for it, find threads on forums about this swap. Read up on it over and over.

Keep your L16 together. don't bother with head swaps, shaving, or aftermarket cams. You'll be spending money you don't need to spend and increasing the chances the car will end up 'not running'

Get an electronic ignition distributor from a 1979 truck or 200sx. (or 1978) http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=3214

Bolt on a Weber 32/36. Do some minor intake manifold porting... MINOR

Do not bother with a header. Have a shop run a new 1.75" pipe from your factory exhaust manifold back if you have an extra $200 to spend.

Install a 5-speed transmission. Look up threads on this because there are a couple ways to go with this. The easier swap requires that you find a rare transmission. The more common 5-speed transmissions require more work to install and your driveshaft will have to be professionaly shortened.

Last thing would be the rear diff. I believe the 510 has an R180 with 3.9 gears. If there is an R180 with 4.11 out there, swap that in. Keep the 3.9 though for when you have the SR installed.

:mellow:

2eDeYe;42897'']In case your wondering about RacnJsn's post. The A87 came in both the open or closed chamber design. The closed chamber A87 has a peanut shaped combustion chamber and this is the reason it known as such.

I just had to go look at mine..on a 1973 620 L16, what type of head is it if the head says A87??

How do you tell if it is a peanut head or open chamber without taking the head off to look??:eek:

;) boroscope in a plug hole

Hey...that gives me an idea.:D

I can use the colonoscopy tube with the camera in between patients.....do you think they would notice?:lol:

Guess I'll have to wait untill I replace my head gasket. Oh well.

i was just wondering has..?..lol...has anyone heard of any NOZ kit for the L series engines...?just a question cuz ive looked and cant find anything...i would love to squeeze bottle on that motor see how it would react:p:D:cool:...or any other kits from other cars that may fit..

Juice on an old l16 would likely result in an inconvenient spontaneous disassembly.

I have a regrind cam in a open A87 with dgv carb on L16 in my 521 and it rips pretty hard.A top end screamer but a major lack of low end power.

If you want to spank your buddies with a L series motor it just aint gonna happen.I was sad the day I got smoked by a neon in my 521 with L20b.Not to say that driving skill and a $$$ L20b or LZ22 couldnt do it but it wont happen over night.Lots to learn and tons of $$ to spend.

Street racing causes tons of accidents involving innocent people.So take it easy.

I remember seeing a j13(?)in a restored 320 in street trucks mag a few years back.He had a small shot of nos to hit the highway speeds.Need a full rebuild at least for that.But hell,if it breaks it at least you can say you tried.Start off small.

L series motors are great.They are easy to work on and easy to get parts for.Even easier with all the custom motor swaps going on.I have had a few l16s,18s and 20b and you can get some power but it takes time and $$.

i would look on jegs i found a 4 bbl carb set up on there that with a cam header and a paxton:D if your going to do a swap a ka would be a better choice in my personal opinion considering that parts are avalable at any parts house since the sr is a japan only motor and there is just as much aftermarket support for it i know turbo kits are made for the ka just my opinion i figured i would throw the idea out there

I ran a 120 hp shot of nitrous to the wheels on an a JY parts L series 3 Liter stroker with a JDM only N33 head. With a all stock L 16 nitrous would be a waste. As far as street racing goes one ticket plus an impound will about pay for an SR20 swap, keep it on the track.

I do belive that a "built" L16 with a turbo and a small shot of N20 would be a pretty good running car. But, for the same money a 2.2 or 2.3 L series turbo could be built and provide some real horsepower.

okay everyone..i decided to go old school on this car...i just got a L18 with a A87 head and a dogleg 5 speed...i also got a header and my weber will be ready soon...im takin the head in tomorow any recomdations on what to do to the head...???then im boring the L18 block and getting a high performance clutch...any sugjestions....ohh and i got the motor trany carb and header for about 300 dollars...the tranny is super smooth...:D:D:D

Nismopu has a good point. Me and him have had our nights running all around town going to good spots till cops come then we skatter and regroup to another spot.....It does suck when you get caught and they are more strict now days so watch out! as for your car put a KA in it or if you want to skool your honda friends put a turbo on the L-series or NOS the L-series. NOS would be a better idea for drag racing. For that matter you could NOS your L18 if you want. My Z22 motor that was in my dime was a former drag car that had nitrous on it....It had a HELL of a launch to boot.

I must mention to keep it on the track....but of course the occasional red light run is always fun.

I can dig that setup.The L18 does very nice with a large port head.Get the head and intake mani opened up a bit.Maybe put the $$ into this and a bigger cam.If you end up needing new valve seats you can opt for larger intake valves.That would rock.Hopefully it has a peanut high comp A87.?If not it is still a good head but small intake ports.If the block looks nice I would just clean it up and hone the cylinders,put in new rings and change the bearings and seals.Oh yeah...change the timing chain guides if you open it up!!!!!!!!!!

thats what i had in mind that turbo set up or juiceing it...but i cant find the NOZ kit for it and that turbo set up is a lil complicated for me...i need to do some more research on that turbo L series thing...cuz wow a l-series has a good high end pull now with a turbo or NOz...that would be great...how much would i spend on making it turbo...

4 cylinder L series turbo is gonna be custom all the way.Requiring tons of skill or $$.Do the old schooly thang and cam it up with some side draft carbs.;)If you want 200+ hp slap in a twin cam vg or vg turbo(v6).That should blast some civics.