JESUS ANOTHER 521 PROJECT!!!!!

J rock wait till ya get solid heims under a 510 wagon going south talk bout loud! It sounds like the whole rear end is gonna fall out! Lol theirs no doubt that it will transfer road noise etc. But theirs always a trade off somewhere in a build. Im not a huge fan of urethane bushings either cause they creek and grown but they take slop outta a suspension right quick! Datsun trucks are tuna cans all the sound deadning material in the world wont even cure that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh wow, you go guys. I honestly thought y'all were pros with that quality of work. Good luck with the project :)

Yes, thank you. Anybody can do it just takes practice. Me and Boarlin have been building stupid stuff for a long time we still screw stuff up you shoulda seen the first welds we ever put down WOW! not good, we still go through our share of cut off wheels. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

OK, any body guys please chime in. At this point it would be very helpful, cause we are not paint and body guys, I understand some of the basic stuff but that's about it. Here is a pic of the driver side door. Skimmed the whole door and knocked it down with 36 grit. What's the next step? the bare spot are obviously high, so do ya pound those down or build the panel up some more? is sanded enough? 521 doors are so flexy the whole panel just bows and flexes around when your sanding on it, its retarded. 

20131208_144343_zps2a2fd281.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v633/jesusno2/20131208_144343_zps2a2fd281.jpg

I'm not a body man either, but I would think that you'll need to grind the filler back off and shrink some of the high and low spots.  It flops around because there's too much metal for the area it's trapped in.  Hopefully, you'll get an answer from someone that actually knows :)

glazing putty ...blocked with 60-80 grit........ then a high build primer then u will be blocking and sanding a re repriming till straight .. use some guide coat ..... I like to seal my fillers with epoxy before I go to a high build pimer....... it done right u will hate block sanding about half way through the project

• Like 1

I think I suggesteda while ago about sending it to Keeper and get him to do the work

That would be nice but who learns how to do something by paying someone else to do it LOL. Our time is basically free at this point. Have a hard enough time scraping up the cash just to buy supply's at this point anyways. James demands good money for his hard work which I'm sure is worth every damn penny, and I dont blame him. We both hate this kinda work mainly just due to lack of knowledge and drive to do this type of work

glazing putty ...blocked with 60-80 grit........ then a high build primer then u will be blocking and sanding a re repriming till straight .. use some guide coat ..... I like to seal my fillers with epoxy before I go to a high build pimer....... it done right u will hate block sanding about half way through the project

I thought you laid down epoxy first to seal the bare metal?

why if your gonna do body work and sand most off (sanding epoxy sux too ... its like sanding a eraser) ...and im not a fan of putting filler over anything but bare metal .....i told all my customers that did use epoxy under filler if the epoxy delaminates whats that gonna do to your filler and 99% of all fillers are designed to be put over a metal substrate....so i just lock all my filler down with a good epoxy ..... stay catalyzed through out he project too ....most epoxys give u a week to re coat with out sanding and if not a red scotch bright is more then enough to get your high build primer to stick to it.....

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...