13 hours ago, Soundline said:

As a retired cop from WA State, if they have a warrant don’t answer any questions that aren’t immediately related to officer safety.  Questions such as “are there any rigged traps in the house?” Or “are there any shooters still alive after the gunfight?”

In Washington State, which is under the same 9th Circuit Federal Court as CA the rules are clear, any questions that are not “who are you” or “is this a bomb” you can reply “it is my constitutional right to invoke the fifth amendment”.  Or anything in that ballpark.  You can also say clearly “at this time I’m invoking my Miranda Right to an attorney.  I will not answer any additional questions with an attorney present.” Anything along those lines. 

in Canada, my fellow officers there are jokingly advising me to tell people to “comply or die” to “king Castro Jr”.  

You wouldn't happen to have the "officer safety" precedent case would you? My understanding is a couple of decades dated and the finer points of new precedents escape me. I am curious of the established boundaries and ramifications for both officer and civilian if breached. While not popular from a public/police relations position (including compounding problems by jerking around an armed authorities) I am aware of no duty to volunteer any information. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, Dguy210 said:

Yep, receiver flat. Need to do some bending and welding. Nothing in that picture is "technically" a firearm.... yet.

Although, to be fair I do have an ANOTHER receiver setup I could run for this but decided to go with the more classical approach first.

Here is a silly question, but a man's got to dream. Any of those bundles of parts, come with milled/machined pieces, rather than stamped?

Lets see.... you are unwell? enough to place booby traps in your house in case the police breach your door with or without a warrant, are asked if there are any, and you're going to tell them yes?????? What idiot cop would believe anything said or not said? Why even waste your breath? Up to you to look out for yourself and fellow officers. The public rightfully doesn't care about you just as you are not responsible for them.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dguy210 said:

Yep, receiver flat. Need to do some bending and welding. Nothing in that picture is "technically" a firearm.... yet.

Although, to be fair I do have an ANOTHER receiver setup I could run for this but decided to go with the more classical approach first.

Do you use a spot welder or, do you use the hole fill method?

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, frankendat said:

Here is a silly question, but a man's got to dream. Any of those bundles of parts, come with milled/machined pieces, rather than stamped?

Depends on the build.

Not for a CETME.

Like many cold war era battle rifles the receivers where stamped construction. 

Build kits are just a bunch of parts that are either missing the legal receiver all together

or the receiver and often barrel have been de-milled.... with an acetylene torch lol.

They require fabrication and modification with understanding of how that firearm works. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Skib said:

Depends on the build.

Not for a CETME.

Build kits are just a bunch of parts that are either missing the legal receiver all together

or the receiver and often barrel have been de-milled.... with an acetylene torch lol.

They require fabrication and modification with understanding of how that firearm works. 

I actually took a class on Russian methods of AK-47 & AK-74 construction in Las Vegas years ago.  We used a 10 T press and a Russian made spot welder. With all the presses, stamping patterns, and a few old Cold War gunsmiths at the helm all the students were able to make functional weapons.  

I’m not sure on the CETME construction, but I do know that the PTR 91 is made in a relatively similar fashion.  

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Soundline said:

As a retired cop from WA State, if they have a warrant don’t answer any questions that aren’t immediately related to officer safety.  Questions such as “are there any rigged traps in the house?” Or “are there any shooters still alive after the gunfight?”

In Washington State, which is under the same 9th Circuit Federal Court as CA the rules are clear, any questions that are not “who are you” or “is this a bomb” you can reply “it is my constitutional right to invoke the fifth amendment”.  Or anything in that ballpark.  You can also say clearly “at this time I’m invoking my Miranda Right to an attorney.  I will not answer any additional questions with an attorney present.” Anything along those lines. 

in Canada, my fellow officers there are jokingly advising me to tell people to “comply or die” to “king Castro Jr”.  

To add a bit, I'm splitting important, albeit fine, hairs--If someone refuses to identify or speak to police, it is a very low bar for police to detain the person until identity is established, so it brings hassle, but technically/legally no communication with police is an option. Similarly, not mentioning your pockets full of razor blades when asked about dangers before pat down will make your police encounter exponentially more unpleasant, but I know of no law or precedent that demands and prescribes sanctions for not answering "officer safety" inquiries. I looked into this long ago, when local LEO's adopted the habit of inquiring "Are there any guns in the car?" as standard traffic stop procedure. While there is potential for detainment and a charge of obstruction, if "guns in the car" was denied and guns were later discovered in the car. The charge would be tenuous at best and I was unable to find a conviction for this, anywhere. Ignoring the question and/or silence is legal option, which could not be rationale for police escalating the encounter (which means some other reason must be listed in the report. But, that is practical reality not technically lawful.) The more I think on this, if there has been modification of police interrogation, (unless it is simply that after invoking fifth amendment privilege it remains acceptable to continue inquiries that directly relate to officer safety). Forcing answers, regardless of the reason,  is condoning torture. Hell, even allowing continued questioning of unconvicted United States Citizens on sovereign land is a dramatic reduction of liberty.  (even with that mass of modifiers)

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Skib said:

Depends on the build.

Not for a CETME.

If it was a previously milled mauser G3 de-milled wouldn't be a deterrent. One of those half assed pipe dreams, love mausers, would love a G3, CETME, Hk91, but I am consolidating not acquiring and couldn't justify another stamped gun. 

5 hours ago, frankendat said:

To add a bit, I'm splitting important, albeit fine, hairs--If someone refuses to identify or speak to police, it is a very low bar for police to detain the person until identity is established, so it brings hassle, but technically/legally no communication with police is an option. Similarly, not mentioning your pockets full of razor blades when asked about dangers before pat down will make your police encounter exponentially more unpleasant, but I know of no law or precedent that demands and prescribes sanctions for not answering "officer safety" inquiries. I looked into this long ago, when local LEO's adopted the habit of inquiring "Are there any guns in the car?" as standard traffic stop procedure. While there is potential for detainment and a charge of obstruction, if "guns in the car" was denied and guns were later discovered in the car. The charge would be tenuous at best and I was unable to find a conviction for this, anywhere. Ignoring the question and/or silence is legal option, which could not be rationale for police escalating the encounter (which means some other reason must be listed in the report. But, that is practical reality not technically lawful.) The more I think on this, if there has been modification of police interrogation, (unless it is simply that after invoking fifth amendment privilege it remains acceptable to continue inquiries that directly relate to officer safety). Forcing answers, regardless of the reason,  is condoning torture. Hell, even allowing continued questioning of unconvicted United States Citizens on sovereign land is a dramatic reduction of liberty.  (even with that mass of modifiers)

I’ll start with this first.  Frankendat, you’re correct on all counts. In the US, there is no “compelled speech” for this.  I worded my post poorly, I was just making suggestions to make your life easier if detained.  

Funny story, I was in a meeting with very high level politicians and three people who were then Supreme Court Justices to receive a lecture about the possibility of prosecution of US Soldiers under federal statutes and the Uniform Code of Military Justice.  The only reason I was there is because that room was where I was to brief someone, and I’d written 1300 hrs in my notes instead of 1400 hrs. If you’re not invited and you’re there, sit in the back and try to look unimportant.  

A gentleman named Gavin DeBecker was doing the introduction and he asked “raise your hand if you’ve been arrested”.  Every.  Single.  Hand. Went up.  Yes, mine too.  This was about 2004 so maybe 6 years before I was a cop.  I stole that line from Gavin, who ended up being a wonderful mentor.  When I briefed the situation I was there for in the next meeting I used that as an ice breaker.  There were twelve of the most important people in the gov at that time in the room, and a very high level person from the Air Force, my branch of service came in.  He too had been arrested.

I used the same question as a cop doing training and you get some hilarious stories.  I tried to incorporate that into my policing. For instance I pulled a kid over for doing the exact same shit I was personally arrested for.  He was in an S13 doing something stupid… in a parking lot.  No actual victim to this crime since the city was gonna redo that lot by putting a building there in a couple months. I arrested the kid, then unarrested him because he was honest and level with me.  I did however confiscate his marijuana (it was illegal then).  I referred the charges to the prosecutor’s office, as required by policy.  In my report I specifically wrote that I didn’t suggest they formally charge the delinquent and talked to the city attorney whose desk it landed on over hotdogs and beer.  They sent him a letter saying he was sternly warned or whatever and they’d charge him “next time”.  The same thing that had happened to me about a decade before.

4 hours ago, frankendat said:

If it was a previously milled mauser G3 de-milled wouldn't be a deterrent. One of those half assed pipe dreams, love mausers, would love a G3, CETME, Hk91, but I am consolidating not acquiring and couldn't justify another stamped gun. 

4 hours ago, Skib said:

Iv still got some G3 mags sealed in the plastic with an early 60s manufacture card.

It’s so strange to me that I can go to Africa, buy an HK91 off a carpet in an open air market for half a smoked pig.  In the US they’re utter unobtanium. 

I actually have personally witnessed AK’s bought for American made Coca-Cola… a 24 pack of cans.  But Somalia was a weird place a couple decades ago.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Soundline said:

Do you use a spot welder or, do you use the hole fill method?

Factory was Tig but mig is fine. I might play around with tabs and spot welding mostly because I recently got a spot welder and damn is it fun to use.

On these parts kits the barrel is usually the hardest and one of the most expensive parts to source. They are also always threaded wrong for the stock flash hider unfortunately. The receiver flats are pretty cheap when in stock and for the CETME there is also a pretty decent 3D receiver build available which actually INCREASES the accuracy of the rifle.

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 2

I am curious, I’ve never fired one of these.  Do any of you have experience with CETME, PTR91 or other short barrels?  Legally of course this is a SBR due to the telescopic stock.

im assuming it’s gonna be LOUD and the bullet will strike softly due to the limited burn time.

CEA92A8F-3581-45D2-B6C8-63EF3F379D3A.jpeg

Edited by Soundline
Technical clarification
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Soundline said:

I am curious, I’ve never fired one of these.  Do any of you have experience with CETME, PTR91 or other short barrels?  Legally of course this is a SBR due to the telescopic stock.

im assuming it’s gonna be LOUD and the bullet will strike softly due to the limited burn time.

I have a PTR 91 and it is a fun gun to fire. The roller set up takes a bit of getting used to after using mostly an AR. It is pretty accurate, a bit weighty, but not too bad. 

My brother used to have an FN/FAL and it was a beast of a rifle compared to the PTR/G3 CETME. And yes, it is loud, after all, it is a .308 Battle Rifle 

HK parts interchange easily and are surprisingly not too expensive, especially mags. You can actually add a collapsible stock to the PTR, assuming it is a full length unit, and it would still be in the 16" range required by CA

One downside to it is the shell ejection. It is a fluted breech and it dimples the crap out of the shells, making them basically un reloadable. And it launches them into low earth orbit most of the time. 

I really like it and just looks flat out cool, and you can not deny the pleasure of doing the HK slap! 

Image it not of my rifle, but very similar

File:PTR-91.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Jesse C. said:

I have a PTR 91 and it is a fun gun to fire. The roller set up takes a bit of getting used to after using mostly an AR. It is pretty accurate, a bit weighty, but not too bad. 

My brother used to have an FN/FAL and it was a beast of a rifle compared to the PTR/G3 CETME. And yes, it is loud, after all, it is a .308 Battle Rifle 

HK parts interchange easily and are surprisingly not too expensive, especially mags. You can actually add a collapsible stock to the PTR, assuming it is a full length unit, and it would still be in the 16" range required by CA

One downside to it is the shell ejection. It is a fluted breech and it dimples the crap out of the shells, making them basically un reloadable. And it launches them into low earth orbit most of the time. 

I really like it and just looks flat out cool, and you can not deny the pleasure of doing the HK slap! 

Image it not of my rifle, but very similar

File:PTR-91.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

The full barreled one I have experience with.  I’ve used an HK91 and a PTR91 GI Green version may have been lost recently in a tragic boating accident.  I greatly appreciate your feedback and I completely agree. There are some downsides in the 18” barrel.  The US interpretation of the German classic is wonder to shoot.  One thing I will say about the PTR91, it takes 400-500 rounds to break in.  I do enjoy the welded rail version though.

30 minutes ago, Skib said:

The HK slap is a real thing.  If you run the MP5 regularly you’ll usually be able to feel the 9mm chamber.  I’ve never had them fail.  Once they’re broken in, it’s like handshaking an old friend.  I’m not going to lie, they’re like Linus’ blanket.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Skib said:

I too am a terrible boater.

having boats are expensive, and you only use them once a year lol

In Washington State thou shalt have a boating captain license, so saith King Inslee.

as a pleb without that, unfortunately I failed to keep my sea legs over the Mariana Trench.  Rip mu friends. Serve the mermaids and fish aliens well.

32CFC509-4758-42FD-8134-7298E38D1FB2.jpeg

• Like 1
Just now, Skib said:

lol I live in CA.... its a dangerous place to boat.

Which is tragic.  The USP 40 was my very first gun.  It was stolen in 2006, used in a crime, and eventually recovered and returned in 2020,  The other was purchased by the near exact amount being left to me from my sister’s estate after her passing.  It’s the exact off duty carry she used from 2002 when we turned 21.  Her wife received her actual carry weapon, I received a duplicate that purchased and registered to myself.

I’d carry it now if I had it.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Skib said:

lol its been about 15 years. I used to travel all over.

now I mainly travel back and forth to the artic, lol i pass threw the Seattle airport a lot. 

I’ve seen your posts before.  I worked a contract as a guard in 2009.  I experienced the temperature in Jan/Feb near Ft Greely.  I THOUGHT I knew what old was at -25-ish.  When I saw -40 the first time coming outta Fairbanks airport, I had to take a knee.  -70 with wind was as bad as I’ve seen.  I lack the descriptive ability to sufficiently cover the horrors of that level of cold.

Here, it’ll get down to maaaaaybe -10.  Worst case at night. People bitch, but I know the truth. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Soundline said:

I’ve seen your posts before.  I worked a contract as a guard in 2009.  I experienced the temperature in Jan/Feb near Ft Greely.  I THOUGHT I knew what old was at -25-ish.  When I saw -40 the first time coming outta Fairbanks airport, I had to take a knee.  -70 with wind was as bad as I’ve seen.  I lack the descriptive ability to sufficiently cover the horrors of that level of cold.

Here, it’ll get down to maaaaaybe -10.  Worst case at night. People bitch, but I know the truth. 

lol even in proper kit; -70 is an area you can only operate temporally.

Its not so much the cold thats my issue... but the effect it has on material and equipment 🤣 

I operate roughly 500 miles north of Ft. Greely. 

Its set up like a regular FOB.... but extra frozen and shitty. lol embrace the suck. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Skib said:

lol even in proper kit; -70 is an area you can only operate temporally.

Its not so much the cold thats my issue... but the effect it has on material and equipment 🤣 

I operate roughly 500 miles north of Ft. Greely. 

It’s set up like a regular FOB.... but extra frozen and shitty. lol embrace the suck. 

Dude, I initially had Frog Lube on my M4.  I tested it and it was a fuuuucking mess. I had to change every piece of kit I had.  I literally had my magazines freeze in my plate carrier. I now use this. 

I also learned about wool and waxed cotton.

3F01C8DF-8495-4591-8EA9-04A6DB03F8F2.webp