• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Went shopping today, didn’t get a .380 or 45. Need to do some more research on the 45s. 

found an few FNX-45 tacticals locally. Several Kimber 1911s, but reviews on those have been not great. 

gonna check a few other shops. I didn’t go home empty handed though. Yeah.. I know I didn’t need another 9mm. But I had a hard time choosing between the glock and 365. So I ended up with both. Still hunting for 45 and .380. The Ruger LCP max is affordable.. but I like the one posted above too.

Picked up the VR80 12 gauge, just for fun. 

also a .22 suppressor caught my eye. Again, gotta buy while ya still can. Especially if uncle joe isn’t planning a second term. 

C959B2D3-9E69-488C-99B9-6A53BC1BA1B7.jpeg

28AC535B-5501-4B28-BBAB-01849BE5705F.jpeg

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Draker said:

Went shopping today, didn’t get a .380 or 45. Need to do some more research on the 45s. 

found an few FNX-45 tacticals locally. Several Kimber 1911s, but reviews on those have been not great. 

gonna check a few other shops. I didn’t go home empty handed though. Yeah.. I know I didn’t need another 9mm. But I had a hard time choosing between the glock and 365. So I ended up with both. Still hunting for 45 and .380. The Ruger LCP max is affordable.. but I like the one posted above too.

Picked up the VR80 12 gauge, just for fun. 

also a .22 suppressor caught my eye. Again, gotta buy while ya still can. Especially if uncle joe isn’t planning a second term. 

C959B2D3-9E69-488C-99B9-6A53BC1BA1B7.jpeg

28AC535B-5501-4B28-BBAB-01849BE5705F.jpeg

I keep meaning to get something in 12ga semi-auto, although have a bit more of preference for one of the Saiga-12 ish type models.

LCP 380 is not bad, I like mine. Some people like them, some don't. I have a first gen and it is tiny, super easy to pocket carry without notice, very easy to almost forget I'm even carrying it also means I'm more likely to carry it too.

Mine is decently accurate and eats hollow points no problem but I've heard of issues with accuracy and feeding from others. 1st gen is pretty cheap these days, 2nd gen supposedly fixes some stuff, looks like the MAX makes a huge improvement in both of them. Ruger makes or more likely licenses an ARX ammo for it that overcomes some of the limitations of small size with regard to recoil etc... pretty good reviews on it as far as performance too. Good backup gun in my opinion if you want to primary carry something else with a bit more punch too. 

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.msrdistribution.com%2Fcontent%2Fimages%2Fthumbs%2F0001804_polycase-380-ruger-arx-pistol-ammo-case-of-250.jpeg&f=1&nofb=1

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 2

aaaaaad then for the undecided, if you can find one, is the HK4.  One frame amd a set of barrels and magazines.  Caliber?  Four.  .22, .380, 9 mm. and .45 !  Common slide is formed and welded sheet metal.  Guts are all machined steel,  Gived the gun control and license folk night mares.  First and probably last offered in the 1960s.

• Like 1
On 10/31/2021 at 3:01 PM, Stinky said:

That Bersa is a good design....I have no idea of the steel or quality.

I think the quality is excellent. It's my daily carry right now, and probably will be for awhile. Heavy enough to be low recoil, but light enough that it's easy to carry. 

On 10/31/2021 at 3:01 PM, Stinky said:

If I remember right....007 used a .32 acp not a .380

I know Google says it's a .32, but Walther only makes them in .380 now, and has for awhile. Maybe it's really a .380 but they say it's a .32? Movies lie like that sometimes...  😄

I would guess maybe the early movies used a .32, but recent films would be using a .380. 

Edited by datsunfreak
On 10/31/2021 at 9:08 AM, MikeRL411 said:

aaaaaad then for the undecided, if you can find one, is the HK4.  One frame amd a set of barrels and magazines.  Caliber?  Four.  .22, .380, 9 mm. and .45 !  Common slide is formed and welded sheet metal.  Guts are all machined steel,  Gived the gun control and license folk night mares.  First and probably last offered in the 1960s.

It's very common that when and if these pistols appear on the market they have only a single barrel, the resst haveing been discarded or the pistol having been sold as a single caliber in later years likely into a firearms registration area that insisted on a single caliber at registration and sale time.

You gotta go back to the 007 Books to get into why he carries the Walther.

as for the .380, I was an EMT and a Police Medic.  I’ve plenty of real world experience with handgun wounds in humans. While I have seen a .22LR kill an adult male when fired at the correct distance and angle from a Walther P22, it’s uncommon for this to occur. As an interesting study on handgun rounds the FBI/CIA did a joint study in the mid 2010’s on the efficacy of handgun rounds in defensive situations.

keep in mind the FBI data estimates that there were more than 1,000,000 shootings involved in this study. I have a hard copy of it in a box but it’s stamped “do not decimate”. I’ll give you the Cliff’s notes. Handgun rounds suck at killing stuff. The vast majority of people shot with a single handgun round survive.  The minimum round they considered “adequate” to stop 1 adult male from continuing criminal activities is a 9mm/.38 spcl with a minimum of 3 rounds on target.

I’ve seen 1 adult male take 7 on target .380 auto rounds to the chest and they were stopped by a leather motorcycle riding vest.  The rounds were fired at 10 feet to point blank.  All struck the target in the upper abdomen to upper chest. There were zero misses. The crime stopped when a bystander rendered the attacker unconscious by way of a modified gable choke. 

I have also witnessed a determined defender take a .44 REM Mag round to the left knee the beat the holy living f*** out of the attempted child murderer. 

From that report and my field experience I recommend that you carry a 9mm/.38 spcl or better caliber.  I recommend you train with it at least once every 90 days.  As for which make/model?  Find what you like. What fits your hands and carry style.  A frame size and caliber you’re consistent with.  In the US Air Force I carried a 9mm.  As a cop, 9mm.  You do you though.  

my personal opinion… based on these experiences… The more armed, trained, capable patriots we have defending our population the better. 

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Soundline said:

From that report and my field experience I recommend that you carry a 9mm/.38 spcl or better caliber.  I recommend you train with it at least once every 90 days.  As for which make/model?  Find what you like. What fits your hands and carry style.  A frame size and caliber you’re consistent with.  In the US Air Force I carried a 9mm.  As a cop, 9mm.  You do you though.  

I love my .380, but I am actually looking for a 9mm that suits me currently. I like the Taurus 1911 because you can get it in a commander size (shorter barrel, but regular grip) in 9mm. 👍

taurus-1911-commander.jpg?anchor=center&

But as with lots of pistols right now, kind of hard to find one in stock somewhere... Must be the chip crisis...  😁

• Haha 2
13 hours ago, Soundline said:

I’ve not shot a Taurus.

I shot a Taurus.

A Ford Taurus.

Someone dumped one in the woods where we go shooting, so we used it to set out empty beer cans on and had at it. It was mostly still intact when we showed up, but after four guys got done it was pretty well ventilated.

Good times.

• Haha 2
13 hours ago, Soundline said:

Honestly, having a tool for self defense is better than not. 

I’ve not shot a Taurus.

I am curious what you have seen the main difference is between a .380 and 9mm? It is my understanding that they are basically the same bullet with different sized powder loads behind them? I can see how the 9mm could have better stopping power, but it seems like the .380 with the proper ammo would be almost as good?

I am likely headed back to 9mm as a CCW either way. I mainly bought this Bersa because it's super easy to carry, but it is big enough for my beefy hands. It is the perfect "mid sized" gun for me right now. I think a shorter barrel 1911 would be comparable. Just trying to decide between commander (4" barrel, but full capacity) or officer (3" barrel and less capacity). I had carried a Kimber Ultra Carry 2 for a long time, and liked it. But that compact officer size in a .45ACP means fairly low capacity, and it was a handful to shoot (light weight and big rounds = sore shoulder/wrist). 

Guess I could get a spare mag holster...  😄

7 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

I am curious what you have seen the main difference is between a .380 and 9mm? It is my understanding that they are basically the same bullet with different sized powder loads behind them? I can see how the 9mm could have better stopping power, but it seems like the .380 with the proper ammo would be almost as good?

I am likely headed back to 9mm as a CCW either way. I mainly bought this Bersa because it's super easy to carry, but it is big enough for my beefy hands. It is the perfect "mid sized" gun for me right now. I think a shorter barrel 1911 would be comparable. Just trying to decide between commander (4" barrel, but full capacity) or officer (3" barrel and less capacity). I had carried a Kimber Ultra Carry 2 for a long time, and liked it. But that compact officer size in a .45ACP means fairly low capacity, and it was a handful to shoot (light weight and big rounds = sore shoulder/wrist). 

Guess I could get a spare mag holster...  😄

Sure, the FBI/CIA Report Conclusion was that the .380 ACP was just too light.  The real change is that you can fire 9mm +P ammunition in most 9mm platforms. The +P had a substantial increase in pounds per square inch of force.  This increased force by the additional powder allows for a slightly heavier load which can cause increased wound cavitation. 

This slightly larger wound channel was more likely to penetrate sufficient circulatory system flows to provide for the necessary drop in blood pressure (and or blood volume) to take an average sized adult male out of the fight in a relatively short period of time. 

Also, the increase in traditional powder will normally pass through leather riding jackets and heavy canvas. In the study they found both could impede a .380.

The study recommended the Glock 17/19, Sig Sauer 226/228/229, SW M&P 9, and the HK VP9 for duty.  I don’t remember what else, and the only gun I remember them saying “not recommended” was the Springfield XD.  

I’ve found there are many others that meet the criteria.  The HK USP, FN 509, Sig 320, Beretta M9, HK P2000, and others.  We did a tremendous amount of testing at the police department to evaluate gun/ammo combinations. 

19 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

BTW... that's ToreAss nit to be confused with the Ford FokAss

Does Castro’s Bastard son even let you participate in this thread?  I’m pretty sure he’ll send his purple haired minions to BC to haul you before a human rights commission for saying “the ‘G’ word”.

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Soundline said:

The study recommended the Glock 17/19, Sig Sauer 226/228/229, SW M&P 9, and the HK VP9 for duty.  I don’t remember what else, and the only gun I remember them saying “not recommended” was the Springfield XD.  

I’ve found there are many others that meet the criteria.  The HK USP, FN 509, Sig 320, Beretta M9, HK P2000, and others.  We did a tremendous amount of testing at the police department to evaluate gun/ammo combinations. 

Personally, I am looking for one thing that doesn't jibe with LEO type pistols, and that is a single stack magazine. Those are all excellent options for that particular task, just not me. 

I will definitely be looking for something that plays nice with +P ammunition. Thank you for the info! 👍

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 1
52 minutes ago, MikeRL411 said:

Open slot magazine leads me to believe this is a .22LR subcaliber unit.

It is. S&W M&P 15-22 is .22LR. 

From what I've heard it is supposed to be a pretty fun plinking gun but is proprietary not an AR15 22lr conversion.

5 hours ago, Dguy210 said:

It is. S&W M&P 15-22 is .22LR. 

From what I've heard it is supposed to be a pretty fun plinking gun but is proprietary not an AR15 22lr conversion.

Right, it's a .22LR

And it is absolutely my favorite gun, so much fun to shoot and CHEAP to shoot too!  I've put over 2000rds through it and I'm talking "Bucket of bullets" GARBAGE ammo and it has only jammed up once.

• Like 3