project 620z

topless620

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

KA, VG, SR, who cares! This man is on a mission cause he wants a FAT L-motor in his 620. I am with him, ol skool L rather than a modern mill. Dig it. He is just blazing full steam ahead and I for one bet he will get to the finish line with this sort of drive! :lol:

Logic be damned, and I love you and this build for it man. Keep going!! :thumbup:

• Like 5

Definitely will be a double take for those that know what is supposed to be under the hood. I could just imagine me looking under the hood for the first time, not knowing what was done. "oh, another L20... wait, wtf there are two more cylinders!" haha. Looks great. Could he get away with a smaller radiator with an electric fan to fit in front of the cowling but behind the plastic grill?

Definitely will be a double take for those that know what is supposed to be under the hood. I could just imagine me looking under the hood for the first time, not knowing what was done. "oh, another L20... wait, wtf there are two more cylinders!" haha. Looks great. Could he get away with a smaller radiator with an electric fan to fit in front of the cowling but behind the plastic grill?

I would try that first before a bed mount! But there is fun factor when people scratch their heads when their is no radiator under the hood!

Can I modify an intercooler so it can be used as a radiator?

I don't see why not, they are both heat exchangers. You'd need to add a remote filler cap (highest point in the system is best). I would just find a thin radiator from a toyota corolla or something though.

You will probably have issues getting the engine up to temp since intercoolers are much better at heat transfer than a radiator.

That's the job of the thermostat to close to keep the temp up.

You could use an IC if that's all you have and there's no rad otherwise why bother? An IC doesn't solve the placement problem.

Weld up the frame and seal it. Run the rad hose to one side and have a pipe across the back to connect the two sides. Connect the return to the other frame at the front. The whole frame would be a huge heat sink radiating away heat as you drive. It would have immense surface area exposed to cooling air. No fan needed.

I love this build, if you want that engine in there go for it. Maby after people see this build mine won't seem so crazy. Also I think he wanted to use a ic as a rad beacouse you can get little one that might fit in the space he has. Keep it up man awsome job so far!

Dont try making an intercooler into a radiator, theyre both heat exchangers but that doesnt mean theyll work in place of each other. One is made and designed for air, the other for water which is quite a lot more dense - fair different scenarios

• 2 weeks later...

what size plate did you use to make you motor mounts.....are those 720 mounts welded on the plate or 280z mounts???? kinda looks like that if you slide the motor back 280z mounts will bolt up. We are gonna see if there is more than one way to skin this cat lol

• Like 1

That's the job of the thermostat to close to keep the temp up.

You could use an IC if that's all you have and there's no rad otherwise why bother? An IC doesn't solve the placement problem.

Weld up the frame and seal it. Run the rad hose to one side and have a pipe across the back to connect the two sides. Connect the return to the other frame at the front. The whole frame would be a huge heat sink radiating away heat as you drive. It would have immense surface area exposed to cooling air. No fan needed.

until you run strait water and rust your frame from the inside out.....lol only joking

• Like 1

wheres the radiator gonna go? why do this it doesn't make sense wouldn't a vg30 be a better choice? better efi smaller design so it will actually fit more displacement better weight distribution just seems like the vg30 would be a better choice congrats on getting it to "fit" but that's to much work for a lot of drawbacks either way its your build have fun with it

enzo210 the valve cover is sitting where the radiator is supposed to be that doesn't qualify as fitting in my book

if you can can shut a stock hood on it and you can't see it it fits in my book!

and whats with not wanting to cut these things up it's just metal it can all be welded back on

• Like 1

FIT

1a. To be the proper size and shape for: These shoes fit me.

1b. To cause to be the proper size and shape: The tailor fitted the trousers by shortening them.

1c. To measure for proper size: She fitted me for a new jacket.

2. To be appropriate to; suit: music that fits your mood.

3. To be in conformity or agreement with: observations that fit the theory nicely.

4. To make suitable; adapt: fitted the shelves for large books.

5. To make ready; prepare: Specialized training fitted her for the job.

My definition for engine fitment is it drops into place with mods to motor mounts and possibly the rad. Cutting the frame and or the rad support/fire wall and or re-locating the rad while 'fitment' (see 1b, 4 and 5) is more involved and can be misleading to the average engine swapper.

By my definition it doesn't 'fit'. Naturally anything can be made to fit. So there is: 'it fits' and there is: 'it can be made to fit' and so the distinction should be made. However this works out it is a great example of how to try the right way.