Ratsun Fender Emblems

BoostinBen

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i need to make a master out of wood -______- then vacuum form it. is there a machine like a CNC that cuts wood 3 dimensionally? X, Y, and Z?

Sears makes one! you'd need to sell a lot of emblems to make up the cost though. I wonder if one could use a scroll saw and plexi or metal or even wood.

All one would really need to do is hand form the 'R' and add it to an OEM badge and cast that right?

Craftsman Cad rputer

00921754000.jpg

Sears makes one! you'd need to sell a lot of emblems to make up the cost though. I wonder if one could use a scroll saw and plexi or metal or even wood.

All one would really need to do is hand form the 'R' and add it to an OEM badge and cast that right?

Craftsman Cad rputer

00921754000.jpg

well i actually have a dead on copy of the 510 Datsun logo (that runs across the fender) and i found a font specifically for the R that looks like the D if you see in my previous post, that was a 5 min R, im sure i can make it 10x better, one i get a hold of a CAD cutter, im home free to make CF ones, or i can just borrow my friends CNC and not make any money :lol:

Another good thing, you arent really ripping on Ben's idea. He didn't seem to be offering a CF emblem. So if he could come out with it, it could still co-exist with your product.

actually i completely forgot about Ben. lol, he's MIA. ooooops.. the only reason i pitched in was because a ton of people wanted some and then he just disappeared, so i sort of wanted to give some other people ideas to make their own.

as of right now, im downloading SolidWorks 11 to buy my trial ran out... but the one i made previously i winged just used my pictures as reference, im going to try and get a hold of a actual fender emblem and replace the D with the CNCed R and mold that.

as far as the CF, not sure how my friend is going to make it. Carbon fiber is not really "good" for small tight space right angle molds like a emblem.

ill make a sample and post it on here and let you guys decide if it's good enough.

i still have to figure out how im going to make this R, i might just hand make it :o :wacko: :blink:

DAT510

if i was you i would start with trying to make it out of anything but carbon fiber and work your way UP. Carbon fiber is hard to work with ,, there are a few people on here that make carbon fiber parts, but don`t be fooled on how hard they worked to get CF to lay right in mold, and get air out, let alone make finished product lay flat. Sanding such a delicate part if it was made out of a super hard to sand substance might be a nightmare, because since their parts are large they can gel coat thicker and sand that to make smooth where as you wont have that option. Maybe try with really lightweight fiberglass mat first...

You mom`s scissors will thank youbiggrin.gif

ill try fiberglass first as suggested, if i cant do it with fiberglass, which i highly doubt, i cant do it with CF or Carbon Kevlar

im only responsible for the master mold, my friend can deal with fiberglass and CF, lol that shit sucks you have to cover yourself in baby powder so you wont get fiberglass in the pores of your skin

I for one would be ok with plastic as a material choice. I deal with plastic emblems on cars all the time, and have not seen a durability issue yet. Double sided tape keeps them on just fine, as long as it is quality stuff. You cant even tell it is there.

I just dont want this over compicated if it gets in the way of having some available.

• 2 months later...

Just putting in my input. I would love a set of these. I was going to shave the emblems, but I'd mount a set of these on my car. I'll brainstorm some ideas. You guys are getting way to complicated talking carbon fiber. Either make a mold and pour in fiberglass resin or melt some plastic beads to pour in. What about routing the shape into wood and filling it with lead, from old wheel weights? Sounds funny but its cheap and would stick to the theme!

Either make a mold and pour in fiberglass resin or melt some plastic beads to pour in. What about routing the shape into wood and filling it with lead, from old wheel weights?

I think the fake chrome plastic beads would smell the best when melted down ... .. I'm shure they're made of solid plastic chrome .... :lol: ... . no way it's just a coating

... . either that or melting down lead wheel weights?? .. . . . are you asking which is more likely to cause cancer after making a set of emblems,, or???